Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Push Rod Tubes and seals
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

This engine is an all original 68 1500 with only 23,000 miles. This is likely the first time it's been out of the car. It runs great and the plan is to just clean it up and fix some leaks. I want to avoid doing anything that isn't necessary and leave everything original. the car will only be driven between 500 to 1000 miles per year.

My question: From what is seen in these pictures, should I replace the push rod tube seals? Or the tubes as well?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatJr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

imho
if they arnt rusted through, treat with some rust stop/prevention, paint and use again
I think most on TheSamba are going to say yes, replace with stainless, that's what I would do. And while it's apart, split the cases and measure everything, install that 78mm crank with chevy journals, Engle 100 ... oh, wait, that's not my bus

my 2 cents
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

If I were you and I had the heads off anyway, I would be highly inclined to put stainless pushrod tubes in it, and use whatever white pushrod tube seals that CB Performance also sells and never worry about that again!
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1559.htm
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1945.htm

That said, that's not the MOST amount of oil I've seen a VW engine leak and not explode so you could just... ignore it. Twisted Evil

Edit: Naw, I wouldn't take it any more apart than that! Just the old "while you're in there"
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

I actually have a full set of NOS VW Push Rod & Tubes that I found at an estate sale along with a bunch of other VW parts several years ago. I had forgotten all about them. I just dug them out of a box and they have "VW 311109335" stamped on the tubes. No numbers on the Rods. They're not stainless but the original set lasted 55 years.

If I was to replace all the tubes and seals, what am I getting into? Is it as simple as:
Remove the Rocker Assemblies.
Remove Rods keeping them in correct order.
Loosen the heads and slide them back.
Install new tubes and seals.
Push heads back on and torque.
Reinstall rods and rockers.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Yes. Push rods don't care. The cylinders will likely want to stay on the head and pull away from the case. If you can get the heads loose without disturbing the case to cylinder seal your method is fine. I would pull the P&C's check them and clean and reseal them to the case.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

I’d leave well enough alone. That’s a really tidy engine, I’d simply degrease it at the most and drive on.

That’s really minor leakage and nothing worth worrying about.

You’re opening up a can of worms here and probably getting into more work than you’re planning to fix what’s essentially a non-issue. After all that work it’s likely to start seeping again so what then ?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

The pushrod tube closest to your road draft tube has deep rust that is enough to warrant replacement before it busts a hole and leaks all over. Hopefully the rust isnt getting into the oil stream.

you can 100% just slide the heads back and replace the tubes and seals and not do anything else safely.

Your NOS tubes, i would clean the surface rust off, clean with Paint prep and paint with VHT Clear coat flame proof that autozone has. The clear is better as its more flexible and wont flake off like the color paint does. The pushrod tubes flex some as the engine heats and cools.

https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/high-heat-...lsrc=aw.ds

With the engine out, its really just a few hours of time. Just dont disturb the cylinders. You will have piece of mind and you dont have any project creep.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

If it was me I would degrease it really well, retorque the heads, put the rubber tip on the draft tube and run it the way it is. I bet looking at your pic of the left side your oil cooler might need some new gaskets.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Thank you for all the helpful replies. Yes, there is definitely some leakage at the oil cooler. It will get well cleaned and new seals along with a new rear main seal and a new torque converter seal (AutoStick transmission).

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Do me a favor. Let me know if you are able to separate the heads from the cylinders with out disturbing the case to cylinder seal. jpaull said you can 100% do it. On a 52-53 year old engine that has never been apart I think that's wishfully thinking. I would pull the top end off inspect, clean, and assess everything. You have most of the work done.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

What jpaul said...............use all new tubes that you have (from VW). Steelwool all of them, clearcoat. Let dry really well. AND this is important, place the seam running the length of the tube UP. Will last more than the time you have left. Painting the old tubes, and hoping they work is POUND FOOLISH.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

If I was to replace all the tubes and seals, what am I getting into? Is it as simple as:

Vermont? It's amazing you don't have naked pushrods showing through what's left of the tubes and a salty corroded mess on the engine case.

I would replace them, but:

This isn't an American V8. You can't count on the cylinders staying in place when you pull the heads. It's likely the cylinders are going to slide off with the heads. If that happens take your cylinders to

Al's Snowmobile

in Newport. They hone snowmobile cylinders. Last time I checked, they should be able to precision hone your cylinders. Re- ring when you put it back together. Done right it should be like new.

You can't count on the old rings sealing properly if they've been disturbed.

The other thing that might give you problems is your exhaust studs. Take extra care not to twist them off when you remove your muffler and heater boxes. Come to think of it you could leave the heater boxes attached. Still need to remove the muffler if you haven't already.

I talked to the legendary Chuck Pisconski the other day. It has been my stance that there are no reliable aircooled shops left in in Vermont. There are big fat caveats attached to the few remaining "mechanics". Chuck reminded me that John Kaiser is still working in Morrisville... Morris town? Same / same. That's an endorsement not a caveat.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
What jpaul said...............use all new tubes that you have (from VW). Steelwool all of them, clearcoat. Let dry really well. AND this is important, place the seam running the length of the tube UP. Will last more than the time you have left. Painting the old tubes, and hoping they work is POUND FOOLISH.

Being in Vermont, I don't plan to start this until the garage warms up in March but I'm trying to do all my homework now so this is all very helpful. When I get to removing the heads, is there a safe way to hold the cylinders in place so that they don't get disturbed? Would soaking the the base of the head to cylinder area with PB Blaster be any help?

I've also seen the spring loaded type tubes which I would prefer not to use, but if the heads don't want to come off without disturbing the cylinders, might these spring loaded push rod tubes be a better alternative than the old tubes? I've seen good and bad reviews on them.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Vermont? It's amazing you don't have naked pushrods showing through what's left of the tubes and a salty corroded mess on the engine case.

Thanks for all that information. Fortunately, this car was never in Vermont until last spring. Although it spent most of it's life in and around Long Island NY, it was always just a summer driver. At only 23,000 miles, it even still has it's original paint. There's no corrosion anywhere. But I can see where the parts might be hard to separate after all these years. The problem isn't corrosion, its' that the engine needs a serious bath and to stop some minor oil leaks.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

If there’s no other reason to pull the head, I would not hesitate to install Jaycee pushrod tubes. Being that the car is so original, I understand wanting to keep the original look though.

However, if I’m pulling the heads I would tear it down to a short block while doing so. Go ahead and rebuild the heads, re-hone cylinders, new rings, etc

Just my opinion
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Honestly if it is so original just get a QUALITY set of springloadeds and call it a day. It is almost a crime to pull all that apart if it is truly 23k miles . Unpopular opinion maybe, but most on this forum will tell you to get barenaked just to blow your nose. Rolling Eyes

Good luck, and nice car!

-Frank
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Thanks for all that information. Fortunately, this car was never in Vermont until last spring. Although it spent most of it's life in and around Long Island NY, it was always just a summer driver. At only 23,000 miles, it even still has it's original paint. There's no corrosion anywhere. But I can see where the parts might be hard to separate after all these years. The problem isn't corrosion, its' that the engine needs a serious bath and to stop some minor oil leaks.

Yup. Good lookin' Ghia there.

I had a '70 that color.

Marcdeb wrote:
Being in Vermont, I don't plan to start this until the garage warms up in March but I'm trying to do all my homework now so this is all very helpful. When I get to removing the heads, is there a safe way to hold the cylinders in place so that they don't get disturbed? Would soaking the the base of the head to cylinder area with PB Blaster be any help?

You're undertaking what is called a "re- seal". I would lean towards removing the cylinders, honing and re- ringing them and then sealing the bases when you put it back together.

Most of the old 1500s I see are a drooling mess. It doesn't take a to of seepage at the cylinder bases to make your engine show its age. It looks like it has 23k on it now. It could easily look like it's 50 years old after a season of relatively minor leaks.

I've heard from a lot of other mechanics,

"They do that."

when an old engine leaves a few spots on the floor. Tell ya what... mine don't leak!

You're not going to take your 1500 autostick to the track. If you did and it was leaking any oil when you got there they would tell you to load it up and go back the way you came. Instant black flag!

Marcdeb wrote:
I've also seen the spring loaded type tubes which I would prefer not to use, but if the heads don't want to come off without disturbing the cylinders, might these spring loaded push rod tubes be a better alternative than the old tubes? I've seen good and bad reviews on them.

Keep it stock. You have a low mileage original VW. If you keep it original it retains its value.

I don't trust internet reviews of anything anymore. Lotta people are promoting their own brand while actual quality is all but extinct. When I worked for an OEM we said,

"Meets or exceeds customer expectations!"

Which actually meant we shipped a lot of junk. But.. if the customer didn't complain and / or return the parts we "met customer expectations".

For the record that's not the way I roll. I believe our old VWs should be maintained "good as new!" or better.

bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Yes on PB blaster or make your own 50/50 ATF - Acetone. Wood shims Dead blow hammer.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

You know for about $150 you can make it a 1600 Wink
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Push Rod Tubes and seals Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
Honestly if it is so original just get a QUALITY set of springloadeds and call it a day. It is almost a crime to pull all that apart if it is truly 23k miles

I agree. If it were mine, I'd be reluctant to pull the engine / car apart any more than necessary.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: