• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I am making this thread on behalf of HypedBeast. All credits go to him for this one.

The influence of the Capcom art and design staff cannot be understated. Shoei, Bengus, Sensei, Ikeno, Akiman, Edayan and Nishimura Kinu are among the most accomplished artists in the video game industry. In particular Sensei, Akiman and Bengus' polishing of the Street Fighter II characters set a standard by which all character designs were to be measured against.

Each of these guys are huge powerhouses who deserve their own threads. These guys changed the face of pop art in the 90's and their influence can still be felt today. From Begus' fluid anatomy in his SF Alpha work to Ikeno's phenomenal rendering and gritty edge. Edayan's powerful sense of attitude and energy in his Rival Schools and SFII Turbo Revival work to Kinu, who basically cemented Street Fighter into pop culture with her illustrations for the orignal SFII series. And of course Akiman creator of iconic characters such as Chun Li.
They've influenced an entire generation from comic creators such as Joe Mad and Humberto Ramos,to other video game illustrators such as Arnold Tsang(character designer of Overwatch)and I owe my love of comic and manga art to these individuals,so without further ado lets go...

BENGUS(aka CRMK)
18j18ggb7lpiijpg.jpg
tumblr_m365wmDnOx1qas1mko1_1280.jpg

CqmaocQXEAQuEL4.jpg
tumblr_m98k94kzB71ra9imxo1_1280.jpg

Bengus joined Capcom in 1992 and goes by many pen names such as CRMK and Gouda Cheese.
Bengus is known primarily for being the main artist on Street Fighter Alpha,Darkstalkers,and the Marvel vs Capcom series.

Bengus became known for drawing characters disproportionately with extra large, defined muscles and big hands & feet
d802bfb2b5f4234e92713b155293f6d9.jpg

However he is incredibly versatile,never sticking with one style for too long of a period.
bengus802.jpg
bengus_ryu.jpg

He can get incredibly cartoony and stylized for Power Stone.
bengusvs04.jpg

or can even embody a little bit of DaVinci if he feels like it.

In recent times Bengus has gone for a more loose and sketchy style that Im not a huge fan of,but as an artist of his craft he knows better than anyone else than to stagnate and stick to one style for so long.
Bengus is one of the greatest pop illustrators to lay pen to paper and he is one of my personal artistic heroes.

Daigo Ikeno
Zero3UPIkeno.jpg
sean-3s.jpg
882023-sfart.jpg
arte-sf3-3rd-strike.jpg

Daigo Ikeno began working for Capcom in 1994.He is known for his work on Street Fighter III:Third Strike,Devil Mat Cry,CvS2,and Street Fighter IV.
Ikeno has a keen eye for martial art posing that I havent seen matched other than by Akira Toriyama.He is phenomenal at group compositions.
poster-sf33s1_big.jpg
Zero3DUIkeno.jpg

His work never fails to impress me on a technical level,espically with how detailed and vividly he draws the Street Fighter cast.

Kinu Nishumura
0PeK8Pl.jpg
qbrP0kf.jpg
tumblr_movqcfHAPE1qmuhxzo1_1280.jpg
2c5f1ab3405e7de9da13abf5b01712ef--videogame-graphic-novels.jpg

Kinu Nishumura began working at capcom in 1991.Her real name is unknown -as her alias originated from her mother's maiden name- and she is affectionately referred to as "Kinu-sensei".She has worked of Street Fighter III,New Generation and 2nd Impact,999,and Code of Princess.
Kinu is without a doubt my absolute favorite illustrator.regardless or medium.Absolutely Everything from her composition,to how she draws her female characters.Her use of color is impeccable and she absolutely slays in playful art pieces
3BRJwH7.jpg
2504c5a4256cca0e76507fe235b43c20.jpg

She is my ideal and who I strive to achieve in my art.

Edayan
edayan-rival2.jpg
edayan-sfzero3.jpg
ken-x-edayan.jpg
ssf2-by-edayan.jpg

Edayan is a Capcom artist best known for his work Rival Schools and Ace Attorney,but he still manages to do work on the Street Fighter series,including his phenomenal work on the SFII Turbo Revival.
His pen name "Edayan" was a nickname used by his older brother when they were younger. Edayan was hired by Capcom after entering a Darkstalkers drawing contest for Capcom.

The way Edayan he draws faces and expressions really makes his characters stand out. His characters always seem to be moving, even when simply standing upright. He's also a master at making clothing and other minute details stand out. Edayan is a master artist and one of my favorite artist.

Akiman
akiman-sf2classiccharacters.jpeg

cammy-black-akiman.jpg
chunli-spinningbird-akiman.jpg
sf2-fly.jpg

Akira"Akiman" Yasuda joined Capcom in 1985. Over the course of many years, Akiman has created amazing character artwork and posters for some of Capcom's most iconic games, including: Street Fighter Alpha (series), Street Fighter 2 (series), Street Fighter III (series), Final Fight, Warzard, Star Gladiator (series),Power Stone (series) and many others.
He is the creator of the first lady of fighting games,Chun-Li,and was also responsible for editing Capcom's Street Fighter Anatomy Reference Guide, which was used to teach other Capcom artists since the mid 90's.

Now that you've seen the big five,who is your favorite out of the bunch,lke I said my favorite is Kinu,but I would absolutely love to hear your answers.I hope reading this thread and seeing this art inspires you to pick up a pencil and just draw.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Of the 90's artists, I'll have to go with Kinu Nishumura (with Akiman in close 2nd & Bengus, when given proper time, in 3rd).

OP
OP
lucebuce

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Bengus in his prime was a thing to witness. As HypedBeast points out, he is INCREDIBLY versatile. His X-Men art is to this day some of my favourite.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not AS influential as the others but Tatsuya Yoshikawa has a special place in my heart for his work on Breath of Fire. I adore his character illustrations, so so so so so much.

8f3db83569c25c367559f67549ca30af1334317145_full.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

latest

9d3b17aaffc9898fb83f01ebdcc2d3ee.jpg

Zerojul

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Great thread. I think Nishimura is number one for me. I really love Bengus's work on the early Vampire and VS series, too. Needless to say, all of them did great, great stuff.

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe not AS influential as the others but Tatsuya Yoshikawa has a special place in my heart for his work on Breath of Fire. I adore his character illustrations, so so so so so much.

8f3db83569c25c367559f67549ca30af1334317145_full.jpg

latest

9d3b17aaffc9898fb83f01ebdcc2d3ee.jpg
Yeah his art is phenomenal(especially that BoF3 art piece)I was just naming the fighting game division cause that post was long enough as is.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah his art is phenomenal(especially that BoF3 art piece)I was just naming the fighting game division cause that post was long enough as is.

Oh, yeah, I can imagine. Hope this thread grows and becomes a treasure chest of great artwork though. Already in love with the art provided in OP.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
Nishimura & Bengus are top tier in their craft, just amazing stuff. ♥

It's tough picking between those two!

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Bengus, though Kinu is a close second.

2a179e22ca2500b7246bad8ad72fb15d--epic-games-videogame-art.jpg

plasma-sword-full-poster.png

He's one of the few artists that can easily switch from super cartoony stuff (Power Stone) to stylized or more realistic anime (SF Alpha, Star Gladiator, MvC 2) to stylized realism (SF2 promo art, Darkstalkers sketches).

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I was debating on adding this to the original OP since he was originally an SNK artist,but I feel he deserves some praise.

Shinkiro
streetfighter295.jpg
de8876758bed1cd002d9b5795bc29364.jpg
117.jpg

This guy is legendary for his hyper realistic style.I originally wasnt a big fan due to his faces looking very samey and his poses and gesture being very stiff,but he not only made up for it in seer detail,but improved exponentially over time.
Starting with Tatsunoko vs Capcom he began to utilize a more cel shadded approach to his art and it looks incredible.
tatsunoko-vs-capcom-ultimate-all-stars.jpg
7285a1addeaf915510c14e43aa1181b6.jpg
latest
latest

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I hereby approve this as resetera's thread of the month
Capcom's artists from the 80s or at least 90s era onwards need more recognition

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I hereby approve this as resetera's thread of the month
Capcom's artists from the 80s or at least 90s era onwards need more recognition
I wasn't able to post this thread myself this time,but when I get thread posting privileges I was planning on making an featured artist thread for other game studios(like Square) and even animation studios like Gainax and Disney
If you wouldn't mind if I make another thread can you post it for me?

HypedBeast

Oct 29, 2017
I am really surprised no ones mentioned Daigo Ikeno,though I do understand its hard to stand up to Bengus and Kinu.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
They're all great, but if I had to pick one, it's probably Kinu Nishimura.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. I kind of want it to be expanded to all fighting game illustrators since there are a bunch of artist on SNK's end which deserve recognition and I would love to learn about Namco's Artists as they've put out some great stuff too but never really knew of them. I hope this becomes a series down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
Top 5 (Best to... Awesome but not Best):
-Kinu Nishimura (though she's technically not from the 90s)
-Akiman
-Daigo Ikeno (only 3S and A3 era tho, his SFIV work was funky)
-Bengus (especially SFA era)
-Shinkiro (modern particularly, as I'm not a fan of his realistic SNK style)

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
Nishimura and Bengus for me, but Shinkiro is great too.

Fuck, Capcom had some amazing talent.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Bengus. Darkstalkers and the Alpha series are my favorite Capcom fighters.

I gotta say, I hate Shinkiro's style. It's well done and he/she is extremely talented, but I really dislike it personally.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best thread ever.

Akiman probably my favorite, but...fuck, hard to say. So much good stuff.

I was really happy to see that amazing SF1 piece by Bengus in the AE stuff since so much of his SF5 work has been less than I'd expect.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Seriously though, my favorite was Bengus. AVP, X-Men, Alpha series. Some of the best stuff ever. The rest all come second but a very close second.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Late 90's/early 2000's Bengus is absolutely my shit.

He still does some pretty good art here and there but a lot of his SFV art looked super rushed. The art he did for MvC1 and MvC2 is probably my favorite Capcom art, straight up.

Gren

Oct 27, 2017
Bengus was the most influential, but when I look back, he didn't draw any of my favorite pieces. Those honors go to all those SFII-era group pics by Kinu, and Alpha 2/RS pics by Edayan.

Deleted member 10821

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're all spectacular. Capcom's character designs are so strong and confident.

Shinkiro is my personal fave.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I was going to make this exact same thread today, but it would have not been as good. This thread is a hidden gem.

I'll have to go Bengus, then Edayan. I also love Shinkiro.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember this thread when it first got made and honestly thought I posted in it lol. Anyway my vote is Kinu Nishimura, she's insanely talented and this is to this day my favourite Capcom artwork;

galera182.jpg

2nd place would be Ikeno and 3rd would be Bengus.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
I was debating on adding this to the original OP since he was originally an SNK artist,but I feel he deserves some praise.

Shinkiro
streetfighter295.jpg
de8876758bed1cd002d9b5795bc29364.jpg
117.jpg

This guy is legendary for his hyper realistic style.I originally wasnt a big fan due to his faces looking very samey and his poses and gesture being very stiff,but he not only made up for it in seer detail,but improved exponentially over time.
Starting with Tatsunoko vs Capcom he began to utilize a more cel shadded approach to his art and it looks incredible.
tatsunoko-vs-capcom-ultimate-all-stars.jpg
7285a1addeaf915510c14e43aa1181b6.jpg
latest
latest

Bengus for his Capcom stuff and Shinkiro for his SNK and crossover stuff. I loved those two and they epitomized the look of the characters in each franchise they worked on. Good stuff!