Boundary Conditions & finding E

In summary, the conversation is about finding E1, E3, and ps2 using boundary conditions. The person understands how to find E1 but is confused about finding E3 and the reasoning behind keeping the 2x(hat) component. They question whether only tangential components of E do not change across a charge density and if the normal component changes. They also mention the use of boundary conditions and n (dot) (D1-D2) but are unsure how to apply it without ps. Finally, they apologize for not explaining the problem clearly at the beginning.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 7.25.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 3.45.49 PM.png

Find E1, E3, and ps2

Homework Equations

boundary conditions

The Attempt at a Solution

(these are class notes)[/B]
I understand how to find E1, but I am a bit confused about the reasoning behind finding E3... Why do we leave the 2x(hat) for E3...? I though that only tangential components of E don't change across a charge density, but the normal does change which is why we have to use boundary conditions and n (dot) (D1-D2)... But we don't have ps here so we can't use that. Why do we keep the 2x(hat)? I get the y(hat) and z(hat) part because they are tangential, but not the x(hat).

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem statement that you posted is somewhat unconventional. Can you clarify it using a few more English words?

kuruman said:
The problem statement that you posted is somewhat unconventional. Can you clarify it using a few more English words?
I figured it out. I was in a hurry and forgot to explain the problem at the top. Sorry bout that!

What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions refer to the set of constraints or limitations that are imposed on a physical system in order to solve a problem or understand its behavior. In other words, they define the scope and limits of a problem and provide necessary information for finding a solution.

Why are boundary conditions important in scientific research?

Boundary conditions are crucial in scientific research because they help to accurately define and model physical systems. Without them, it is difficult to determine the behavior and outcomes of a system, making it challenging to draw meaningful conclusions or make accurate predictions.

How do I determine the appropriate boundary conditions for my research?

Determining the appropriate boundary conditions for a specific research problem requires careful consideration and understanding of the system. They should be based on the physical laws and properties governing the system and should be chosen in a way that accurately represents the real-world situation being studied.

What are some common types of boundary conditions?

Some common types of boundary conditions include fixed boundary conditions (where the value of a variable is specified), periodic boundary conditions (where the system repeats itself after a given interval), and open boundary conditions (where the system is open to its surroundings). Other types include symmetry boundary conditions, where the system exhibits symmetry, and mixed boundary conditions, where a combination of different types is used.

How do I use boundary conditions to find the value of E in a system?

The value of E can be found by applying the appropriate boundary conditions and solving the equations governing the system. This involves using mathematical techniques such as differential equations or numerical methods to solve the problem. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the system and the type of boundary conditions being applied.