BLON BL-30 Review, impressions and discussion thread
Jan 8, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #166 of 295
Got the ZMF Perforated Suedes on, put on Dekoni nuggets, took out the vent plug behind the driver(HUGE thanks to @Philimon for this idea), did some quick and basic EQ. This is now the nicest sounding and most comfortable headphone I have ever owned. Every issue I had with this headphone is now gone, and the things I already liked about it are even improved. Sure, I spent $100 to mod a $110 pair of headphones. But for 2 hundy and some change man it feels so worth it to me

Attachments

• IMG_20210108_160004281_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210108_160004281_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 10, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #168 of 295
ZMF Perforated Suedes

Good choice. I still have the Brainwavz XL Gel Micro Suede on mine while I wait for the fat fuzzy pads from China and fail to rationalise paying Vesper Audio for something like

Whole $59.00​
Memory foam + $3.50​
Angled + $5.90​
Real black suede (chamois) + $4.60​
Air tracked mail + $8.20​
Total $81.20​
110 mm circular mounting ring fit​
70 mm circular internal diameter​
40 mm to 20 mm edge-to-edge angled​

But for 2 hundy and some change man it feels so worth it to me

That's strong praise and good news for the future of modding this strange beast.

quick and basic EQ

Please share.
My efforts so far have been mixed at best since bringing up the quest gap around 2 - 5 kHz and/or down the 10 kHz peak doesn't seem to make it sound better to my ears when I A/B against flat, so I've been holding out for measurements and an EQ for the Combined Harmon curve.

A replacement headband?

Linsoul confirmed via their Discord that they were working with BLON on a new headband and were politely receptive to my suggestion that they fill the enormous gap in the market for replacement headbands starting with one(s) like those I posted.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #169 of 295
Linsoul replied to my BL30 review on their site.

>> Linsoul replied:
Hi Phil,
Thank you for your getting back and we are so sorry for this.
According to BLON, for those who have the headband issue, they will be sending them the spare parts to fix it. They will also be creating a tutorial to guide the customers on how to fix the problem. We hope BLON can update the details to us soon.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know.
Have a nice day.

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #170 of 295
BL30 now show as sold out on Linsoul. Probably updating current stock. Good

Anyone know how to reverse polarity via software? Think maybe BL30 could benefit. Im going to look for guide.

Stock pads from @AJZ0 should have arrived today. Will share measurements tomorrow morning with stock pads and driver vent plug removed.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #171 of 295
Issues first.: Headband sucks and requires lots of bending to get earpads to sit flush. Even so, still uncomfortable. With the headband bended all crazy the earpads do not rest naturally, so depending on your headband bending skills, the pads / drivers could be oddly positioned to ear. Something to consider when looking at measurements since same could be happening with EARS and may not be in optimal or atleast natural position. Another problem is that when I was modding I added a protective filter in front of driver out of thin light density foam, so could be reducing treble some so I'll remove and do another round of measurements later.

BL30 is smooth, too smooth in presence region, a little u-shaped. Nice supplementary to 6XXm. I feel both are limited though and would not have either as my sole headphone. BL30 less natural sounding but supremely more fun when bass is involved.

Details of my mehsurement rig and 6XXmods can be found on that other friendly forum.

index.php

index.php

index.php

Edit: needs more modding

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #172 of 295
Using the removal of the
WGZBLON
----2014----
plates as an excuse to open up up the cups and take a look inside, I did so with appropriate supervision. All photos in the album.

PXL_20210112_190755750.jpg
Slid the pads off the mounting ring, noting the indentations from the three screws, which I removed .

PXL_20210112_190845207.jpg
Another reminder of the futility of fancy sixteen strand silver plated helix weave 12 AWG superconducting cables. These thin short cables are attached with a pinch of solder, making it difficult to safely rest the two pieces without putting them under tension.
There are three small black rubber washers between the mounting place and the cup.
There appears to be a vented disc brake in this headphone.

PXL_20210112_190935752.jpg
Inspected the thin back foam with the hole in the middle and the two bolts securing the plates.

PXL_20210112_191404684.jpg
PXL_20210112_191518582.jpg
Unbolted the plate with a star driver which fit the hex bolts, removing the tiny nuts from the foam inside the cups with tweezers.
There are three small black rubber washers between the mounting plate and cup.

PXL_20210112_192311297.jpg
One down, one to go. Another town and one more show.

PXL_20210112_192450584.jpg
Close-up view of the grille with more light.

PXL_20210112_193353789.jpg
PXL_20210112_193809250.jpg
Nuts and Bolts attached to plates and saved in a small bag for posterity.

PXL_20210112_194232538.jpg
Final inspection.

Naturally I intend to imagine that this change will radically improve the sound, making it holographic with sparkling highs.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #174 of 295
Thank you @AJZ0 for sending me stock pads for only cost of shipping. You can see partly whats left of my stock pads here.:

4FC6B2CF-1552-466C-AE50-1F58753F3DCE.jpeg

Edit: Above pic is showing driver vent plug removed thus reducing damping on the driver: slightly increasing bass quantity (more midbass so less linear which is bad) but in exchange making bass sound faster. And importantly brings up 1-2kHz range. These results are with my destroyed pads. Will see whats changed in a few days when stock pads arrive.

Could you post a photo of what you mean by ‘Driver Vent Plug’ and how to remove it?

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #175 of 295
Could you post a photo of what you mean by ‘Driver Vent Plug’ and how to remove it?

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11401858.jpg
https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/11369060.jpeg

The driver magnet is ring shaped, and the middle is covered (plugged) with a plastic lid with small white sticker in middle. Remove that plastic lid and you can freely see the back of driver dome. Reducing air flow to driver is a way to tune/dampen/control the driver. We are undoing this for better and worse.

In the middle of plastic lid is a little white sticker. Peel it off to reveal a hole. Use something to stick in there and pry out the plastic lid (now more like a gasket). I used a small screw driver. Do not stick too deep or you might stab driver dome which would destroy it. Be very careful, not a whole lot of space.

The little holes on driver chassis around the magnet appear to be ventilation as well.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #176 of 295
With some headband bending and a new headband pad and new velvet pads, I've solved the fit/comfort issues. Noe I've been A/B testing the BLON BL30 against some of my favorites. I love the power handling and haptic bass of the BLON, but it's pretty muddy/blurry in miss and quite recessed in the treble. I'll keep playing with pads to improve that.

I'll also try the plug removal suggested by Philimon above, but the best way to do that is from the outside in.
What's the best way to remove the black mesh metal grill without damaging it? I think it's just pressed in, perhaps with a little glue.

Jan 13, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #177 of 295
Have you guys seen No Theme Reviews' review of the BLON BL-30? Brutal. He's not wrong about build (headband/pads), muddiness and recessed treble, but he's not a fan of headphones that require mods to reach acceptable or excellent levels of performance. That's OK. But, I'm not afraid to tweak or purchase additional items to make an inexpensive, promising headphone into something excellent. I've done that with many headphones and some of the tweaked results are my favorites. I hope, with time, I can make a BLON BL-30 into a favorite of mine.

Jan 13, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #178 of 295
With some headband bending and a new headband pad and new velvet pads, I've solved the fit/comfort issues. Noe I've been A/B testing the BLON BL30 against some of my favorites. I love the power handling and haptic bass of the BLON, but it's pretty muddy/blurry in miss and quite recessed in the treble. I'll keep playing with pads to improve that.

I'll also try the plug removal suggested by Philimon above, but the best way to do that is from the outside in.
What's the best way to remove the black mesh metal grill without damaging it? I think it's just pressed in, perhaps with a little glue.

Just pressed in. Prys out easily enough.

Jan 13, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #179 of 295
Have you guys seen No Theme Reviews' review of the BLON BL-30? Brutal. He's not wrong about build (headband/pads), muddiness and recessed treble, but he's not a fan of headphones that require mods to reach acceptable or excellent levels of performance. That's OK. But, I'm not afraid to tweak or purchase additional items to make an inexpensive, promising headphone into something excellent. I've done that with many headphones and some of the tweaked results are my favorites. I hope, with time, I can make a BLON BL-30 into a favorite of mine.

Not watching 30+ min video.
BL30 is super flawed. Lets go mods!

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #180 of 295

Users who are viewing this thread

Back