Debugging PIC32MX460F512L with PICkit3

aatm1412

Question

I've been working with Digilent's Cerebot 32MX4 board for the last couple of weeks, and I have a firmware I want to install on the board, using MPLAB X and Microchip's PICkit3 as a debugger. The problem is that I don't know where to connect the kit's pins on the Cerebot. The pins that need to be connected are the following:

1. MCLR/VPP

2. VDD Target

3. VSS (ground)

4. PGD (ICSPDAT)

5. PGC (ICSPCLK)

6. PGM (LVP)

Does anybody know where are these entries on the Cerebot 32MX4? I've tried connecting it from the different Pmod ports but when I run the firmware on MPLAB X, I get the message "Unable to connect to the target device. Failed to get Device ID"

cerebot32mx4.JPG

pinspickit3.JPG

5 answers to this question

Hi @aatm1412,

You will want to use JP3 which is located in the lower left hand corner of the board based on the image orientation that you posted. Pin 1 is the square pin in that set of 6 staggered pins; the staggered orientation is so that you do not need to solder the PICkit3, you can just connect directly to it and have it maintain electrical contact.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for your recommendation.

The pins fit properly, but I still get the same message on MPLAB. The PICkit has this 3-LED mechanism when it's connected: 

1. Power (green) – power is supplied to the PICkit 3 via the USB port

2. Active (blue) – connected to the PC USB port and the communication link is active

3. Status (one of three colors)

Success (green) – ready to start, or successful completion

Busy (orange) – busy with a function in progress, e.g., programming

Error (red) – an error has occurred

So when I press "Make and program device", the red light starts blinking, which makes me think something's not well configured on the MPLAB project.

Hello @aatm1412,

I don't have a lot of experience using the PICkit3 (since Digilent just resells the PICkit3 from Microchip) but looking at the User's Guide from Microchip, it seems that there should be some sort of error message that appears in MPLAB as per Chapter 9, so that would be a good place to look. Otherwise, my question would be if the Cerebot board is being separately powered since I am not certain if the PICkit3 will be able to exclusively power the Cerebot by itself otherwise.

Thanks,
JColvin

Yes it is, the Cerebot is powered separately, or at least I do it that way because of recommendations I've seen online.

Also, it seems that the JP3 port is the one for the PICkit3 as you said. When I plug the PICkit to the board, the "Active" LED turns on, and MPLAB detects the target. Nevertheless, the "Failed to get device ID" still appears, what I read on the manuals didn't help a lot, Microchip basically recommends reconnecting or checking if connections are properly done, but I've checked everything several times and it's fine. An error with the board or the PIC is not the case, because I've already tried everything on another Cerebot I have and still, I get the same message. So I guess the problem may be related to the project's configuration, maybe.

Hi @aatm1412,

Unfortunately, I don't have any further recommendations beyond what you have tried. So, I would have to presume as you did that there is a problem with the project's configuration, but we don't have a lot of experience with MPLAB so I'm not certain what might be going on.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived