SP513-52N-55LV Erratic Stylus Connection - Acer Spin 5

Options

Answers

• WillQRogers
    WillQRogers Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter
    edited April 2020
    Options

i.e. Only disable the "Ignore touch input when I'm using my pen" option? I tried that. It did not work. :(
  • WillQRogers
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I am now suspecting a physical defect in the stylus as the main problem.

Have you ever held a pen and kinda whipped/shaken it to get more ink to the tip? I did that with the stylus and it seems to solve the problem. I'm wondering if there's something on the inside that I can McGyver to not have to shake the stylus so much... or am I better off just buying a new one? And if I buy a new one, which one should I buy?

I'll let you know if this "solution" lasts or not.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I will call colleagues @billsey, @JackE and @JordanB to participate in this topic.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WillQRogers
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I will call colleagues @billsey, @JackE and @JordanB to participate in this topic.

Thank you!
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you reinstall windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • WillQRogers
    Options
    What happens when you reinstall windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?

To be honest, I really do not want to reinstall Windows. That seems like an enormous amount of time, work, and risk, all on a device that I absolutely MUST have for work.

I'd rather buy a new stylus.

Is there any other way to fix this? I'm not even sure I've done anything with respect to drivers yet and am not sure how.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Did this problem with the pen occur recently?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    Options
    Did this problem with the pen occur recently?

No, it has been like this the whole time I've owned the laptop, so about 2 years. I'm only posting about the stylus now because I need it for work now.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Author: https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3460/session/L3RpbWUvMTU4NzU3NjgxMi9nZW4vMTU4NzU3NjgxMi9zaWQvZlUlN0V4VjAzd0R0TVF3Q0lBSjREUjFGRDk0dW5WaHpUcyU3RUglN0U0MjNZRTFsMk1IOVd1MHlqU09iNlo2QlZpNWduRWF0Y3RkNEM4OXdUMkN0S1ZLc2NSOENXbzhfdCU3RWdNTmRfMkxHRWFSYnBJeEIlN0VSWTlIZExUS0hjQSUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

Issues with stylus and touch screen

Why is the touch screen not responding to my stylus taps?

If the touch screen is not responding to stylus input, or responds unpredictably, the screen may have lost its proper alignment. It is necessary to recalibrate the screen to ensure it responds properly again.

SOLUTION

To recalibrate the screen, take the following steps:

1. Tap Start, next Settings, then System.
    2. Tap Screen.

The screen is now recalibrated.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    Options
    Author: https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3460/session/L3RpbWUvMTU4NzU3NjgxMi9nZW4vMTU4NzU3NjgxMi9zaWQvZlUlN0V4VjAzd0R0TVF3Q0lBSjREUjFGRDk0dW5WaHpUcyU3RUglN0U0MjNZRTFsMk1IOVd1MHlqU09iNlo2QlZpNWduRWF0Y3RkNEM4OXdUMkN0S1ZLc2NSOENXbzhfdCU3RWdNTmRfMkxHRWFSYnBJeEIlN0VSWTlIZExUS0hjQSUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D

Issues with stylus and touch screen

Why is the touch screen not responding to my stylus taps?

If the touch screen is not responding to stylus input, or responds unpredictably, the screen may have lost its proper alignment. It is necessary to recalibrate the screen to ensure it responds properly again.

SOLUTION

To recalibrate the screen, take the following steps:

1. Tap Start, next Settings, then System.
    2. Tap Screen.

The screen is now recalibrated.

This sounds promising.

Unfortunately, I am not able to find this option. There is nothing called Screen for me to tap after pressing System. Also, when I search in Settings for "Screen" or "Recalibrate" nothing relevant seems to come up. I think these instructions were probably for some interface or version of Windows 10 from some time in the past.

Is there some other way I could find out if this recalibration option exists on my computer?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    edited April 2020
    Options

Thank you for that link. I was able to find the calibration thing where you use the stylus to tap on the monitor.

Unfortunately, the computer just did not respond at all to most stylus taps during that calibration. It's still like the connection between computer and stylus just turns on and off randomly.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! But when you touch the display with your finger, does it work correctly? Have you tried to clean the display? When you activate tablet mode, does the problem continue?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    edited April 2020
    Options
    OK! But when you touch the display with your finger, does it work correctly? Have you tried to clean the display? When you activate tablet mode, does the problem continue?

The touchscreen works as expected, except for the stylus.

The mic is kinda crappy, but everything on the laptop works as expected except for the stylus.

The touch screen works as expected and always has.

I have tried cleaning the screen. That did not make any difference.

I just tried writing in tablet mode and experienced the exact same connection problems. Right in the middle of writing a word, the connection between the stylus and laptop shut off and I can't turn it back on. Randomly at some point today, I expect it to work again.
  • WillQRogers
    Options
    I think it's probably time to buy a new stylus.

Can anybody recommend one? Or help me figure out which ones are compatible with my laptop?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I would try to get an active pen! There are some from wacom, bamboo, among others.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    Options
    I would try to get an active pen! There are some from wacom, bamboo, among others.

Ok, I'll look for an active one. How will I know which among them are compatible with my Acer Spin 5?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• WillQRogers
    Options

If I understand that link correctly, there is literally only one model of stylus that works with my SP513-52N. Is that actually correct?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    The service manual also shows this stylus: Active Stylus Pen ASA630 Acer Active Stylus Pen ASA630 NC.23811.040

egydiocoelho Trailblazer