Blown Fuel Injected 460 Runs Hot Please Help

Discussion in 'Ford, Lincoln and Mercury' started by dave, Aug 12, 2018.

1. dave

460 stroked to 535, blown 871, aluminum heads, electric 35 gpm water pump, 160 high flow stat, asi 4 core aluminum radiator ,5200 cfm dual 12 " fans, 50/50 coolant dex cool, externally balanced no balancer, starts great hot or cold, tem rises to 213 with stat open and fans on and continues 1 degrees every 45 sec, afr setting is 11:7:1 because of the blower, iac steps is 12, idle is 1050, any ideas..........

Tags:

2. dave

here are some pics

545 1.jpg #ad

545 5.jpg #ad

3. bigblockragtop

Is it getting hot when idling or cruising? From what I have researched 180 would be better, do a google search on it. What is your base timing?

4. vinces427bb Staff Member

HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO VERIFY ACTUAL WATER FLOW THRU COOLANT SYSTEM?
    oOPS, cap lock stuck...:arghh:
    welcome to the site..

is there block fill in this engine?
    maybe more water% to coolant would help as could some water wetter or purple ice additive...

the fans should be moving aire, but the size is small to me...
    are the fans both turning on and spinning in the correct direction to push or pull air thru the radiator??

already mentioned; timing, is it controlled by the EFI system, or locked, a custom curve?? what is timing & curve set at??

5. dave

6. dave

I verified the flow letting the electric water pump run while the fans are on and it take about 5 min to cool to 158 from 219,
    no block fill, I have 3 pints of purple in there now, fans are dual 12" 2600 cfm each or 5200 total I have a sheet metal shroud about 3/4 off of core area, core area is 21 1/4 x 16/1/4 with 3 1/2 inch tanks all aluminum from ASI, the both come on at 176 and pull through the radiator, now timing this is my first externally balanced for blower car, there is NO balancer so I cant give the timing specs, it starts fast and easy cold or hot no pinging distributor was set in timed to number 1 cylinder and plugged into the 6aL box I do not have a adjustable timing
    controller the distributor is from assault racing it is a mechanical distributor the water pump is a cvf 35 gph electric billit pump .,..,.,.,.,.,..,., any thoughts you can see it running on youtube search custom 500 alive

7. dave

8. dave

idling in park in the garage and out in the driveway with a 36 inch barrel fan blowing on the radiator base timing I have no idea no balancer on the motor it is externally balanced the distributor was set at number 1 it is a assault billit mechanical distributor connected to a 6aL box no timing controler

9. vinces427bb Staff Member

sounds like no vacuum advance distributor-all mechanical...
    i do recall that my car was running hot due to low initial timing,:arghh:

since you do not have a marked balancer;
    a work around would be to use a tdc-stop;
    and mark the crank pulley first turning engine clockwise gently to the stop;
    then rotate engine in rev or CCW gently to the stop, marking pulley again.
    IIRC your TDC would then be marked exactly halfway between the [2]marks on the crank pulley.
    you would need a tdc indicator on your timing chain cover or in another area to make the [2] initial marks on the pulley.
    note: with the MSD6al box a dial back timing light will give some bogus/funky reading= so use a regular timing light...
    the pulley could then be marked by comparison to the timing tape that sticks on different diameters of balancers. like these \/ \/ \/
    upload_2018-8-12_22-12-3.png #ad

or you could do the math and mark the pulley up to your max allowed [all in] centrifugal advance is limited to :
    like 14* initial advance and the centrifugal advance is limited to 12*-14* more for a total advance of say 26*-28* or less as recommended...

cause it sounds like this engine will start just fine with the timing retarded;
    but retarded timing will make an engine run hot...:wacky:

10. dave

very well could be a timing issue I have no idea what it is set at, we set the distributor and got the motor running adjusted it where it seem to run best never messed with one with no balancer or timing marks

11. dave

I will call summit today and work out a better more correct distributor and the timing tape and a pointer and start there I believe my cooling sys seems accurate and should be cooling it

12. bigblockragtop

When you turn over the motor to find tdc pull out all the plugs it makes it easier.

vinces427bb likes this.
  13. vinces427bb Staff Member

what is the engine installed in?

does this mean the shroud is not sealed to the core?:oops:
    air from the engine compartment can be pulled in around the edges of an unsealed shroud and reduce the needed air actually being pulled thru the radiator..o_O

14. dave

no it has a rubber seal all the way around the face of the shroud is 3/4 off of the core area

15. dave

I ordered a decent msd distributor timing tap you shown a ati pointer and a spring kit I will find "0" and set timing at 6 btdc and total all in advance at 2500/3000 when it all shows up and report back

16. vinces427bb Staff Member

I do think that the initial is set to low at 6*, I would ask some more timing questions,
    but I seem to recall several articles suggesting setting initial at about 10*-14* and limiting total to 24*-28* of timing.
    check it out with some of the roots blower manufacturers or installation manual instructions.:blackalien:

17. dave

the motor is installed in a 1967 custom 500 (galaxie platform) 2 door the trans was custom built with reverse valve body t-brake 4000 stall custom steel drive shaft 3.5 inch with the big ford u-joints the rear end is a cobra 8.8 posi with ford racing 4:11 gear set as far as the timing I will investigate diff manufactures the 6 degrees BTDC is what summit racing suggested it be set too

545 4.jpg #ad

545 8.jpg #ad

18. vinces427bb Staff Member

very nice; luv the 66-67 ford galaxie and fairlanes, nice body lines :cool:

19. dave

well I received the stuff from summit and the msd 8577 distributor is too tall wont fit under the blower so I found true tdc "0" turned the motor so the pointer is at 15 to the right of "0" set the original distributor back in unfortunately I set it in 180 out ? duh it burped and now my valve covers are leaking oil this distributor is a assault racing mechanical pe331 it has no weights I bought mine in 2015 but I did find one on ebay to show you item number 201300524187 the only other distributor I found was one jegs suggested from pro comp it is a 8000 series pce376-1109 it has 4 preprogramed curve settings controlled by dip switches and it can use a crab cap pce371-1034 any way this time motor seams to be running hotter and heating up quicker and I prob did something wrong cuz it wasn't that way a few days ago lol I am half tempted to verify "0" set distributor at @ 1 tdc start it and just set it at 25 advance @ idle

20. dave

I just called kmj performance and the distributor has a set 21 degrees of advance ....thoughts