• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
OutRun 2, one of Sega's greatest arcade racers of all time and a game I'm *STILL* actively playing to this day!!!! Sega knocked it out of the park with this sequel and I'm not even sure I want to see another one in the series because of the fear that they probably won't make a game that lives up to part 2.

Anyway there have been LOTS of different ports and versions of OutRun 2 over the years. My good friend and fellow Sega Arcade Racing aficionado Mr Thuderwing has uploaded a ridiculously awesome video discussing all the different versions and ports of OutRun 2, and explains what their highs and lows are for every one. A must watch vid for any OR2 fan!

My personal favorite is still the PC version of Coast 2 Coast, followed closely by the Lindbergh version of ORSP DX which can be played via TP and has FULL force feedback wheel support.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Oh interesting premise for a video. imo there is no single best version, with various different releases having their own unique advantages or disadvantages. Such a shame that this game is not available to buy on any modern platforms now. It could really do with a definitive remaster, even if it meant switching out Ferrari's for generic sports cars.

Edit: Ultimately, all versions are great, so play it any way you can if you haven't yet.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There's no arcade with all the tracks, right? either OG O2 or SP.

That's the good thing about C2C, it has all the courses.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a OG Xbox last year to play Outrun 2. I think there is better and more friendly options to play it. Great vid thanks!

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
High time we have a definitive edition with all the content. But it's Sega.
I still play Outrun Online Arcade on my Xbox 360 time to time. Unboxed it last year only to play it.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
The upcoming Sega Ages version of Outrun 2 from M2, featuring all of the content from all of the earlier versions in one package.

(A guy can dream, can't he?)

Chacranajxy

Oct 29, 2017
As I recall, the Japanese Xbox version of Outrun 2 was supposed to be the best. Could never figure out if it was in English, though - would be kinda a deal breaker for the "mission" mode or whatever it was called.

Anyway, that version had more tracks and added some additional visual effects.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
As I recall, the Japanese Xbox version of Outrun 2 was supposed to be the best. Could never figure out if it was in English, though - would be kinda a deal breaker for the "mission" mode or whatever it was called.

I've got the NA version of Outrun 2 on the Xbox, was there something different with the JP version?

Oct 31, 2017
That version of Outrun with Daytona 2 tracks and scud racer would be like a dream come true on current consoles remastered!!

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of 2SP in the arcade, its probably Online Arcade for me. Its a console port of SP, despite some performance issues looked glorious in HD.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The JP version contains bonus tracks from Daytona 2 and Scud Race(albeit, not a 1:1 carbon copy).
Handling was apparently adjusted slightly too, and I think a little extra content on top of that? I've played it but hard to navigate in Japanese :(

Edit: Reply to old post:
Out_Run_-_1986_-_Sega.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Man, I would love to give Coast 2 Coast a chance but I can't imagine shelling out $100 for an Xbox game since I slowed down my retro collecting. Does anyone know if there are any significant improvements for the Xbox version over the PS2 version?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
C2C is the best, obviously. Just wish the PC version was a better port. The menus for configuring your stuff are a POS, with that hack installed or not. And it's missing the bloom effect across the entire sky (not just the sun), really robs OR2 of some of its aesthetic.

So, any development on Out Run 3?
Doubtful that's ever a thing.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017

The JP version contains bonus tracks from Daytona 2 and Scud Race(albeit, not a 1:1 carbon copy).

These are in the PAL release also, if English language is a concern.

Shion

Nov 8, 2017
Man, I would love to give Coast 2 Coast a chance but I can't imagine shelling out $100 for an Xbox game since I slowed down my retro collecting. Does anyone know if there are any significant improvements for the Xbox version over the PS2 version?
I remember the Xbox version having better frame rate and a few fancier effects here and there but, other than that, they're identical.​

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I still stand by OutRun 2 being the best game of the 2000s not nearly enough people have played. It just controls so perfectly in arcades, has beautiful graphics, and captures the feeling of classic arcade/rastar racing games while significantly evolving it in such a smart and meaningful way.

Would do a lot of questionable things for an Outrun 3.

Oct 31, 2017
Well Yu Suzuki has expressed a interest in making follow ups to his acclaimed racers, Outrun 3 being top priority once he had wrapped up Shenmue3. Lets keep all fingers crossed this gets green lit by Sega.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
OgXbox of OutRun 2006 C2C. The best balance of content (I think OUtRun 2 SP, the PS2 jap exclusive, has a bit more stuff) and graphics.

Last edited:

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast on PC with the FXT mod. SEGA please, put it on steam again I beg you.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
These are in the PAL release also, if English language is a concern.
The Japanese release of OutRun2 have some slowdowns removed (present especially when there are a lot of buses on the track).

Later, OutRun2006 had this fix in all the regions, but the PS2 version still had occasional slowdown.

51R8ZY6936L._AC_SY400_ML2_.jpg

Fun fact: I bought my copy in 2007 on Play.com when it was 7.90€ new.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
This game is a bit infuriating because theres no definitive version of it that has all the bells and whistles both in terms of content and visuals

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
The fact OutRun 2 and Initial D don't get global home releases anymore is just mad (not that ID ever had a global home release...). Both use licensed cars (ID being way more comprehensive), but the last time we got a home release for them was PS3!

OP
OP
Isamu

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast on PC with the FXT mod.

Seems any mention of this is falling on deaf ears in this thread. People see something strange and then move along.

Guys listen to me....YOU NEED TO PLAY OR2C2C PC WITH THE FXT MOD ASAP!!!!!!! It has a fucking COURSE EDITOR ffs! That means you can make your OWN routes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It adds a HUMONGOUS amount of replayability to the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention the mod adds force feedback to the game, and a bunch of other cool shit!

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Seems any mention of this is falling on deaf ears in this thread. People see something strange and then move along.

Guys listen to me....YOU NEED TO PLAY OR2C2C PC WITH THE FXT MOD ASAP!!!!!!! It has a fucking COURSE EDITOR ffs! That means you can make your OWN routes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It adds a HUMONGOUS amount of replayability to the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention the mod adds force feedback to the game, and a bunch of other cool shit!
Still no Xbox Outrun 2, though!

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly pretty salty reading a thread for a game I'd love to have, but can't easily obtain.
God I miss Outrun 2 on my Xbox. I also had the Outrun game that was on PSP.

Damnit Sega, we need Outrun back.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
The PC mod isn't compatible with the Steam .exe is it? Been a while since I tried but couldn't get it to work.

It saddens me this game gets so little attention from SEGA. Just replace with the Ferraris with some made-up ones and release a proper HD remaster of the whole package.

The Omega Man

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
After my disappointment with Hotshots Racing (boring tracks most of them flat, rubber banding, forgettable music etc) I went back to my real love OutRun2, after all these years I can't believe this game is still the king and hasn't been topped.

MrThunderwing made a follow up video a year ago, and he is now a believer on the Lindbergh version running on TP, this version has come a long way since, it can be run now at 4K , the texture glitches are fixed and force feedback wheel support or rumble with a regular controller have also been added.

Still, while the Lindbergh edges out the other versions in the graphics department he still prefers the PC version with the FTX 2.5 mod and the course editor for all the content and functionality it adds to the game

Bonus video OutRun2 at 4K Lindbergh version running on TP Emulator.

SEGA Ages where are you? :(

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Silently waiting for a backcompat surprise of Online Arcade on Series X*

:(

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a really simple step by step guide to getting the PC version up to speed? I tried that thread that went in depth on that, but my controls were all screwy and I didn't bother looking further into it.