• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
"The tender sunlight shining through the window, the calm breeze, song of birds.

Happiness is made up of such trivia."

Actually it is made up of giant tanks and explosions

A couple of days ago I figured that I had exactly $8 to spare for a video game. This happened to be the exact price for any one of Hamsters Arcade Archives Neo Geo releases. So I grabbed Shock Troopers

intro.png

It did NOT disappoint

I'm absolutely shocked that this game isn't regarded as some sorta classic, at least a minor one. How could this have happened? Is it because it released too late into the 3D era, when the collective gaming community felt they were too cool for 2D games? Was it stranded in the arcades until more recently? I'm not sure.

All I know is that this game is SICK.

It is an overhead run & gun in the style of mercs. You can shoot in eight directions. Shooting locks your aim into a given direction so you basically have to recommence firing every time and a lot of targets are acquired via strafing mid-fire. This might take some getting used to for those used to proper twin-stick shooters, but it works well enough and the game is a blast.

intro_cast.png

You have not 1, not 3, not 4, but EIGHT visually diverse characters with some appreciable gameplay differences. For one thing, you can roughly separate the cast into two general categories - lighter characters with higher mobility and heavier folk with stronger default weapons (they fire two streams of bullets so I can only assume that these mad lads and lasses are sporting two assault rifles duct-taped together), then you have the fact that the bomb button deploys a unique explodey weapon for each and every character. Each character has some unique dialogue in the middle of each route and has an ending post-card style picture showing them off-duty in the ending cut-scene.

The game features a dodge roll with invincibility frames which you will use frequently to weave through plentiful bullets, missiles and explosive rounds and to reposition yourself against hordes of colorful henchmen who will not only surround you given the chance, but will frequently try to run you down for melee. If you shoot at an enemy point blank, your character will melee in Metal Slug fashion, which will often result in your enemies dropping score bonuses and sometimes even health pick ups upon death (woah, Nu Doom's glory kill system.... sorta... kinda). Even human bosses will drop big health kits if you finish them with melee. You have many weapon pick ups including gatling guns, flame throwers, threeway rapid-fire sniper rifles. Although you don't have to worry about weapons anyway, since your basic infinite ammo assault rifle is more than adequate for anything, be it tanks or giant boss tanks.
55ABMOWJmvHNSbe7YGvvLcUZKy842sJwG7hczWwsfLPs1IhLZFCw7nfBIwHHIouFbwgk_1P30cYPhHruM9kyRhwLGibVBBjelY4oaTxO0kWWAduksWs

1469332-1181242168174.png

3jgDt2uv-yWXWySiBlwNNE9czqO6N1vp3Z8CzKRa3RG1awPZg6o51W9X-EzrHloRJY0-TtZ7_5M1oDbb89exCdfKCperpK8m80tv0a9mcQPtguRlEWK0GlUHQdngbXzjMpJbDDiPq0I

The game has so much charm and character. Nice, well animated sprites with plenty of humorous animations give this entire game Metal Slug vibe... this is game is pretty much like Metal Slug's overhead cousin of sorts. In this Switch version I played, you can turn the gore on for grizzly but cartoonish death animations. And there's so much destructibility in the environments (both mandatory and completely optional). Oh there's a random windmill? FUCK THAT WINDMILL, FUCK THOSE HOUSES, FUCK THOSE BOATS, FUCK THAT FORKLIFT, FUCK THAT PARKED PLANE, FUCK THAT ROCK... oh wait there's a tank behind it.... FUCK THAT TANK

The ost is also pretty cool

What really sets this game apart is the sheer amount of content. You have three different routes (Jungle, Valley, Mountain) and each route will have a set of completely unique levels besides the very last one. Your experience will be quite different in every route. Only one will have fighting on a motorcycle, only one will have a sequence where you climb a cliff while firing at paratroopers and dudes coming out of the caves and then fight jetpack soldiers while suspended from a tightrope. That is not even all, deep into the route you're given an option of switching to another route and there's one fucking connecting level with a unique scenario too .

GODDAMN THIS GAME IS RAD

Between levels you're treated to some cutscenes revealing a deep, award-winning narrative: Wolverine M. Bison, who runs a bootleg Cobra, kidnapped some professor and his granddaughter to make some drug or something so your posse of maximum soldiers has to go in and ejaculate many guns over everything that moves or doesn't move. I'm sure that Brock Samson would appreciate the intent, if not the execution.

Oh and I forgot to mention that this game features two modes of character selection, a standard one where you pick a character and go in with three lives per credit and another one called TEAM BATTLE where you select tree different characters with one taking up each stock and are able to switch between them strategically with the press of the button.

If you wanna explode some sprites go give this game a try. It is what they call a "hidden gem" (metal jesus actually made a playthrough of this game on his channel).

I hear the sequel's lame though. at least lamer.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic game and then

the sequel happened. I wish I could erase it from my memory and pretend that second squad doesn't exist

astro

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first titles I bought on Swtich and ended up being one of my most played titles, just an incredibly fun game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
never heard of this one. 1997 was pretty late in the game for neo geo so i guess that's why

cool tho, i'll check it out

PC90

Enlightened
Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Great fucking game. One of my favorites back when I got the SNK collection on the Wii

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
One of the Neogeo's finest! Sequel is fun too but has ugly visual style and suffers from terrible frame rate :P

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
This was probably the game I played the most on my NeoGeo X.

That thing sucks though, so it's not like I played it much.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
yes, it's definitely one of the best games of its kind. The Neo Geo Station M2 PS3 port was sublime too! Always wanted to give the 2nd game a fair chance but had no time for it yet.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
Shock Troopers is superb and a perfect example of why one stick top down shooters are superior to twin stick shooters by a LARGE degree.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Heck yeah, amazing game. Also never understood why it wasn't more well regarded.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
It's among the greats Neo Geo games and a shining example why one should look beyond just the fighting games and Metal Slug games when exploring the Neo Geo library.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Yes it is, it sits on NG's (non-fighters) gotha with Neo Turf Masters, Aero Fighters 2, Metal Slug (...), Windjammers, Nam 75, Puzzle Bobble 2 etc.

Kinda a better version of the (still great) MERCS and with an addicting scoring mechanic.

Also the first game is much better than the 2nd, which is still good but not nearly as
awesome.

I just love playing ACAs on Switch's portable mode but rarely I also hook it up to a RAP4 Kai via Magic NS and I notice zero discernible lag, same as playing with the Hori RAP5 Switch

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.

I am not even sure why the hell it is not considered a classic. It looks awesome, sounds awesome and plays awesome. It is such a fun game that I could replay so many times and never get bored.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Agreed.

I am not even sure why the hell it is not considered a classic. It looks awesome, sounds awesome and plays awesome. It is such a fun game that I could replay so many times and never get bored.
Not only is it as replay-able as an top class arcade game is, but the route system allows you to really vary up your runs.

Some games of this nature offer branching paths, but this has straight up three completely distinct sets of levels in one game, plus some extras.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
One of the first titles I bought on Swtich and ended up being one of my most played titles, just an incredibly fun game.

YOOOO I didn't know it was on Switch. Buying it ASAP because Shock Troopers and its sequel are my favourite top-down shooters. The dodge ability means the devs are that much more comfortable throwing ridiculous shit at you because you have the tools to handle things like 5-8 consecutive bullet spreads while enemies spawn from the south tossing bombs everywhere and denying you the space you need to just stand and shoot.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Played this just a couple years ago and yep, can confirm, it's fucking good. And much better than its sequel.

Oct 27, 2017
Not only is it as replay-able as an top class arcade game is, but the route system allows you to really vary up your runs.

Some games of this nature offer branching paths, but this has straight up three completely distinct sets of levels in one game, plus some extras.
Yeah that's one of the coolest things about it.

When it comes to this and Metal Slug, I had way more fun with this one.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the lovely write up. I've only recently tried it myself and i thought it was great.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm absolutely shocked that this game isn't regarded as some sorta classic, at least a minor one. How could this have happened?
There's a lot of 2D games on less popular systems (Neo Geo, PC Engine, Sega CD...) that are equal to or better than the Super Nintendo/Mega Drive classics that just don't get recognised due to being generally ignored in the west when they first came out.

Definitely pick up Neo Turf Masters, that game is still incredibly addictive.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So I looked it up and Saurus (the developer) seems to have been a subsidiary of SNK that was dissolved during the restructuring of SNK in the early aughts.

So I assume that SNK has the IP?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
No lies detected OP. Bunch of nice ERA folks recommended this to me a few weeks ago. Really solid fun game.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely an amazing game and Arcade Archives as a whole has been sublime. People bitch about the lack of Virtual Console when have all these wonderful retro games that nobody talks about because it's not Donkey Kong Country or some shit.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
My favorite isometric run n' gun. Not even MERCS or Ikari Warriors comes close

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, they really perfected the Commando -> Ikari -> Mercs formula.
The dodge roll and melee attack are such perfect additions to the gameplay.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I'm happy that ERA seems to be in overwhelming agreement that this game is indeed badass.

Then again, it is not surprising. I originally put this game on my wish list because ERA (and before the exodus, GAF) members were talking it up in the threads about Neo Geo games on Switch.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
Yeah I've been playing this on steam occasionally. I like Metal Slug better, but I've been replaying it. Good stuff

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely shocked that this game isn't regarded as some sorta classic, at least a minor one. How could this have happened? Is it because it released too late into the 3D era, when the collective gaming community felt they were too cool for 2D games? Was it stranded in the arcades until more recently? I'm not sure.
It got released on the NeoGeo range on PS3 and PSP, plus it got a Virtual Console release, and a PC version later, so it's been available for quite a while. I think it's not known very widely because the original arcade release was so late. I don't know how many arcades would have been interested in expanding their range of NeoGeo games in late 1997, and the ones that were probably were more likely to go with newer entries in the King of Fighters or Metal Slug series.

To become popular enough that it'd be moderately well-remembered today, Shock Troopers probably would have needed something to make it really stand out in the arcades. Metal Slug (as the most obvious point of comparison) managed to do that partly because it had industry-leading 2D pixel art. Shock Troopers, by contrast, looks pretty generic. Even in arcades where it was installed, I think it might have just blended into the background.

OP
OP
Sander VF

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It got released on the NeoGeo range on PS3 and PSP, plus it got a Virtual Console release, and a PC version later, so it's been available for quite a while. I think it's not known very widely because the original arcade release was so late. I don't know how many arcades would have been interested in expanding their range of NeoGeo games in late 1997, and the ones that were probably were more likely to go with newer entries in the King of Fighters or Metal Slug series.

To become popular enough that it'd be moderately well-remembered today, Shock Troopers probably would have needed something to make it really stand out in the arcades. Metal Slug (as the most obvious point of comparison) managed to do that partly because it had industry-leading 2D pixel art. Shock Troopers, by contrast, looks pretty generic. Even in arcades where it was installed, I think it might have just blended into the background.
I think this explanation makes sense.

1997 was pretty late for such a game indeed.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
To be fair, I only recall finding out about the game when it featured in Hardcore Gaming 101's 200 Greatest Games Book. It's easily my favourite top down shooter and I fondly remember playing the Switch release during a London to Seoul flight in mid 2017. I can't recommend the game highly enough.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Shock Troopers is hands down the best run 'n gun shooter i've ever played.

Fantastic production values, balanced difficulty, and a very fun risk and reward system with melee attacks.