• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Back to another Sega Saturn exclusive and an early one at that: Astal

Astal_Coverart.png

I thought this was a really nice 2D side-scrolling platformer from Sega that launched in Saturn's first year in Japan in April 1995 and later in NA in September 1995. Despite being an early generation Saturn game it had very pretty and colorful visuals using hand-drawn graphics as well as other effects in play like sprite scaling, rotations, and transparencies showing that even early on the Saturn could perform these at the start if you had the know how. It also sported animated cutscenes, some voice acting, and a great OST.

maxresdefault.jpg
astal-sega-saturn-review.jpg
Astal%2C_Stage_15.png

Unfortunately, as I was reading up about this game, it apparently bombed so hard in the US that Sega axed the European release altogether. This was in part due to a combination of things. Back then the rage was 3D polygon graphics so an old school 2D side-scroller like Astal, while pretty, wasn't turning any heads and was considered "old and dated". Sega of America also made some odd choices when porting the game over from Japan. They made it much harder (Japan had 5 life points and unlimited continues while the US version had 3 life points and only 1 continue with no way to save your game), removed the opening song vocals with an instrumental, and gave it an awful looking box art pictured above.

The game was hard as heck, too. Most of your attacks had a very short hitbox but I enjoyed the dynamic the bird provided where you can have it get you extra life points, attack enemies, or perform stage specific actions with energy you gathered from defeating certain enemies. It even had a 2P co-op mode where the second player could control the bird. I played the US version and made it all the way to the last platforming stage (The Plains of Destiny) before I got a game over. If you beat that, there were only 2 boss battles left before you completed the game. Since I just wanted to see the ending, I ended up using an unlimited lives cheat code to get back to that point, although if I knew the Japanese version was easier before I started I would have just done that instead. The game also had some really cool boss battles, as well.

It's a shame this game was overlooked at the time because I would have loved to see what a sequel would have looked like if Sega had more time and resources put into it further in the Saturn's life. While the gameplay itself was nothing revolutionary, I feel this is a must play for fans of the genre.

--

Bonus game: Area 51

E5YmYbfXIAgP_P4.jpg:large

Hot damn, I totally forgot this game existed. I remember playing this game at my local arcade back in the day. It was obviously a much better game using the arcade setup and designed to munch on your quarters, but I guess it was a neat concept at the time to be able to take arcade experiences like this home to play on your TV back in 1996.

Unfortunately, I'm using an LCD monitor so I could not play with Saturn's light gun called the "Stunner"

51pL++JGyKL.jpg

and it also had no support for the 3D Control Pad (like The House of the Dead did) so using the Saturn's dpad, while serviceable, is obviously not as fun. The game is also hella short. I beat it in like 15 minutes. It's kinda crazy that a game like this would have ran you $50-$60 back in the day. Still, it was a fun time while it lasted for that nostalgic vibe if you were a kid who visited the arcades all the time back in the 90s.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
yeah i'd totally play that on a CRT and stunner if possible

astal is beautiful & underrated, i also quietly love that they forgot to put the damn name on the US spine so OCD saturn fans still seethe (or buy the sticker to fix it haha)

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I think Astal is beautiful, but don't know about underrated. It plays fine but it's looks is all it really excels at.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I did a full playthrough of the Japanese version of Astal a few weeks ago. Every time I played through it previously I moved on after finishing the first stage but I decided this time to give it a fair shot. I like it a lot. It starts off pretty slow but it's a solid game. I would've been very happy with it had I gotten it with my Saturn as a kid. I'm sure on top of it being a 2D game when everyone wanted 3D was a big contributor to it doing poorly but it having no side label really didn't help. It was sent to die unfortunately.

The Japanese version is a lot easier btw. They did the thing where they adjusted the difficulty in America to push back against rentals. I think it would be doable with the American settings but it's a lot more fun in Japanese.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Alright, so for the next few games I am just going to combine them in one post and give a quicker opinion, either because I didn't play them for an extensive amount of time or they just weren't my jam.

Baku Baku Animal: World Zookeeper Contest

baku-baku-animal-world-zookeeper-contest.jpg

^ The stuff of nightmares

Actually, this game I did enjoy, but I was never a huge fan of puzzle games (mostly because I suck at them) so I played through the arcade mode once on beginner and normal difficulty. It was in the arcades in 1995, then ported to PC and a bunch of Sega consoles in 1996 (Master System, Saturn, and even Game Gear). It had a unique mechanic where you had to pair up falling blocks that had different fruit and the animal that would then eat the fruit for the blocks to disappear (Rabbit>Carrots, Monkey>Bananas, etc). Chaining up blocks would then attack your opponent who you were dueling and have blocks fall on their side. It's a similar setup to something like Puyo Puyo or Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. Recommended for puzzle fans.

--

Bases Loaded '96: Double Header

BasesLoaded96BoxArtJPSaturn.jpg

I have huge nostalgia for the original Bases Loaded game for the NES as it was the baseball game I used to play with my dad all the time as a kid. I checked out a gameplay video of it recently and I still love the sound effects and the music for it. I had no idea that they made so many of them, 9 altogether (4 for the NES, 3 for the SNES, 1 for the Game Boy, and '96 for the Saturn and PS1 which was the last one). Even with that nostalgia for the series, this was clearly not a good baseball game. Remarkably the gameplay for these games, from the original in 1988 to this, barely changed at all. The charm of the old school graphics was morphed to some hideous looking polygon models. This was one ugly ass game. I suppose Jaleco sticking to their guns with the very simplified arcade gameplay had its quirks, but sports fans were definitely starting to look for more in their sports games by 1996, and the fact it was so unbelievably ugly did it no favors. Probably best that this was the last game in the series.

--

Batman Forever: The Arcade Game

50851-batman-forever-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

I'm starting to realize that Acclaim released a lot of games for the Saturn in the US. I thought this was going to be a 2D side-scroller but was met with an arcade beat 'em up. I never remember seeing this at my local arcade either but apparently it originated there and was then ported to the PC, PS1, and Saturn in 1996. To me, this felt like a very hectic and shallow beat 'em up and it seemed more on the cheap side rather than just being difficult. It had a wacky combo system that felt like something out of Killer Instinct with the ability to use lots of gadgets and powerups but there was really no substance here. Perhaps a fun game to play co-op for an afternoon but nothing more.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Next up, three mediocre fighting games.

Battle Arena Toshinden Remix

latest

I remember playing the original Battle Arena Toshinden during the PS1 launch and being rather impressed by the graphics but completely put off by the gameplay. Even though Sega had the mega successful Virtua Fighter/Remix/2 games they thought they still needed to port Toshinden to the Saturn to show that Saturn can do what the PlayStation can, except it immediately backfired as the 6 month later port was basically a downgrade across the board from the PS1 version which ran at a higher resolution, sported a higher polygon count, a higher framerate, and transparency effects the Saturn version lacked.

So what makes this version a "remix"? Well, it offered a new CGI opening cutscene, a story mode, and an exclusive hidden character called Cupido. The main added draw, the story mode, was nothing more than character portraits talking to each other before and after the fights. It was meant to give some sort of bridge to each fight and add more cohesion to everything. In reality, it mostly added hilariously bad voice acting and a story mode that asked more cryptic questions than it answered mostly leaving you in the dark about basically everything so why bother.

Gameplay-wise, it was still very mediocre. There was no combo system so fights devolved to pokes and special moves, some of which are clearly OP compared to others. You know the game is busted when you can spam a single button or special move for some characters and beat the story mode on hard difficulty. There's no substance or nuance here, so the game never really caught on to have any sort of community or following because it was so shallow even compared to other 3D fighters at the time. Definitely not recommended, especially for the Saturn which has Virtua Fighter and Fighters Megamix.

--

Battle Arena Toshinden URA (Ultimate Revenge Attack)

latest

This was basically Toshinden 2 but called URA instead for the Saturn version. It improved the visuals and added a simple combo system but it still played way too similar to the first game and thus wasn't very good. Like Remix, the Saturn version had a bunch of things changed or added, including altered gameplay, all new arenas, a new story, a different CGI intro, new rendered cinemas, and four exclusive new characters (Ripper, Ronron, Replicant and Wolf) that replaced four of the original version's characters (Gaia, Chaos, Uranus and Master). With Fighters Megamix releasing right around the corner when this game came out there was zero reason to pick this up back then and certainly no reason to play this now.

--

Battle Monsters

021481820802.jpg

Oh boy, this fighting game was certainly something. So this was developed by Scarab and published by Acclaim for the US back in September 1996 exclusively for the Sega Saturn. Acclaim being the publisher is ironic considering this game is basically a parody of Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct at the time. It used the same tech of digitized human actors for the characters. While there was simplicity found in MK and KI, Battle Monsters had very quick and jarring sprite scaling based on fighter distance in multi-tiered stages with interactive backgrounds and terrible controls which ultimately gives you nothing but a headache.

I say it felt like a parody because it clearly had characters from MK and KI like a Shao Kahn ripoff and a Fulgore ripoff who was named Fangore (I kid you not), stages that felt similar (The Pit aesthetic without the actual spiked pit at the bottom), and also featured an over emphasis of blood splattering that these two games were known for at the time, but it lacked any sort of fatality or finishing move system.

Simply put, this was an awful fighting game and probably safe to say it's down there with the worst of the worst for me personally.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I owned Battle Monsters as a kid and remember playing it a lot. It's been so long that I barely remember how it played but I must've thought it was really cool.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĆ©xico
Battle Monsters came bundled with the console when I bought it used, and I regret selling it. It was complete in box, and found it weird, janky but fun and actually liked the music a lot. And since it's a 2D fighting game, it is kind of expensive for what it is these days, so I have not bought it back.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I suppose I would have found it fun as a kid but typically we are always fond of childhood games due to nostalgia even if the game was terrible just because we didn't know any better and games weren't as plentiful so we really had to play what we got.

Of course, playing this game for the first time now has everything to do with my opinion of it. Still, I can appreciate a retro game for what it was knowing it's been far surpassed since, but I just couldn't do it with Battle Monsters. lol

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĆ©xico
I suppose I would have found it fun as a kid but typically we are always fond of childhood games due to nostalgia even if the game was terrible just because we didn't know any better and games weren't as plentiful so we really had to play what we got.

Of course, playing this game for the first time now has everything to do with my opinion of it. Still, I can appreciate a retro game for what it was knowing it's been far surpassed since, but I just couldn't do it with Battle Monsters. lol

Yeah of course, I found it fun, but no doubt about it, it is not good haha

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Battle Stations

014633076400.jpg

Definitely not my cup of tea. Developed and published by EA for the Saturn and PS1 in April 1997 and labeled as a 32-bit upgrade to the Intellivision game Sea Battle. It's basically a strategy ship battler that starts with an overhead view of the map and ships that look like something from the NES and when you get close to an enemy ship the game shifts to a 3D sea battle where you can control your ship and fight the other ship to see who sinks first. This part could be cool if the game didn't run at about 5fps making fighting and controlling your ship a huge hassle and ultimately not fun at all. This was an easy skip for me after about 15 minutes.

--

BattleSport

1828_front.jpg

This game I actually found kinda cool and competitive however I did seem to get motion sickness after playing it for about 30 minutes or so and ended up with a bad headache so unfortunately not a game I can play for long stretches. It was originally developed by Cyclone Studios and published by Studio 3DO exclusively for the 3DO back in 1996 at the time but once the 3DO was discontinued it swapped publishers to Acclaim and was ported to the Saturn, PS1, and PC the following year in 1997. It was exclusive to NA only for the Saturn, too.

It's basically a first person 1v1 arena fighter where both combatants take control of a ship and the goal is to find and collect the ball that spawns on the playing field and shoot it toward a center goal to score points. You can shoot lasers and rockets to destroy the other player's ship temporarily or cause a fumble when they possess the ball. The ships also support a jumping mechanic to dodge incoming fire. Overall, the sci-fi aesthetic is pretty clean and I could see this being fun competing with friends, however like I said before due to the small FOV and fast gameplay it's a recipe for motion sickness for people who are prone to it. A sequel was planned for the N64 and PS1 but was never released.

--

Black Dawn

052145890169.jpg

I thought this game was pretty good and I was not expecting that! Developed by Point of View and published by Virgin Interactive for the Saturn in 1996. It's described as a helicopter-combat simulator though I would use the term simulator here very, very loosely. While a bit more crisp and smooth on the PS1, the differences aren't grand, and it's not a looker in the first place. What it does have is pretty satisfying combat with other air vehicles and ground troops while completing numerous objectives on each of the game's 7 stages. It can get quite challenging too so methodical play is the nature of the game later on, but downed enemies can drop health, extra fuel, and varying missiles and upgrades at your disposal so you never feel like you are screwed during a long mission. My major gripe with the game is that it only includes 7 missions so it can be a bit on the short side and replay value is minimal. It also has a 2P deathmatch mode but bizarrely it's locked behind a cheat code. I would definitely give this game a recommendation.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Black Fire

Sega_Saturn_Black_Fire_cover_art.jpg

Another helicopter combat flight simulator except this one is terrible, IMO. Developed by Sega Away Team and published by Sega themselves exclusively for the Saturn in November 1995. It looks rough, it controls rough, and it's confusing. The very first mission literally has you starting out flying in the middle of nowhere and you are instantly surrounded by like a dozen enemies. It lacks the fun factor and better structure of Black Dawn and if you're going to play a helicopter combat game then Black Dawn is far superior.

--

Blam! Machinehead

50994--machine-head.png

Unfortunately this cool box art is wasted on a pretty mediocre game. It's an FPS developed by Core Design and published by Eidos for the Saturn, PS1, and PC in 1996. It's a bizarre game where judging by the opening cutscene an alien virus/species takes over the planet and two scientists are working in an underground bunker developing a weapon to counter the threat. The other scientist betrays you and hooks you up to the combat vehicle (shown in the box art) and sends you up to the surface against your will to eradicate the threat, or something like that. The main problem I had with this game, like BattleSport, was the FOV mixed with the early 3D polygons and rough performance just gave me bad motion sickness. The game is just not good enough to contend with feeling like crap after playing it. lol

--

Blast Chamber

51koVOo899L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

This is a game that I thought was pretty neat but hampered by the visuals. It was developed by Attention to Detail and published by Activision for the Saturn and PS1 back in late 1996. The basic premise of this was your character is set up in a cube that can be rotated by running around and walking on walls which would flip the stage.

There were two main modes, a single-player puzzle mode featuring 40 different stages to overcome and a multiplayer battle mode. In single-player, you're given a time limit on each stage and the goal is to find the glowing ball placed on the stage and deposit it into a red reactor before the time runs out. The stages get more complicated as time goes on and they do indeed get tricky. In multiplayer, you can battle up to 4 players total except now each player has a personal time limit. Now you need to get the glowing ball and place it into your own colored reactor to add more time to yourself or drop it in an opposing player's reactor to decrease their time. You can punch people to have them fumble the ball or rotate the stage to have everyone fall and get staggered. When a player's time is up they explode and it's last man standing and featured both an elimination and free-for-all mode.

My main issue with the game was the muddy and pixelated visuals and the camera was panned back to take in all the action with little room for control so what happens is it makes it very tough to judge platforming areas and depth perception since it's in a 3D environment. This can lead to frustration when solving puzzles with a strict time limit. A more modern version of a game like this could be pretty cool.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Blazing Dragons

7935-1.jpg

Now this was a game I almost turned off right away when I saw it was a point and click adventure game but I am glad I gave it a chance because I thought it was actually a fun game to play through, albeit with a guide to get quickly past some of the more obscure and abstract puzzles.

This was developed by Illusions Gaming Company and published by Crystal Dynamics for the Saturn and PS1 back on October 31, 1996. The writing and humor in the game, which I thought was very good, was heavily influenced by Monty Python with Terry Jones serving as one of the game's many voice actors.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of point and click adventure games. They always seem to have too many obscure puzzles which leave the player stuck and they felt like a chore to play unless you just have a guide next to you along the way but at that stage what is even the point of playing if you're just looking at a guide the entire time. Blazing Dragons struck a nice balance of manageable puzzles that made sense, some harder ones that also make sense if you really dig into them, and some that I probably would have never gotten unless I looked at a guide. A cool thing with this game was that it had an in-game map in your inventory you could check to fast travel to locations and point you in the right direction if you got stuck and were unsure where to go next, as well as an in-game character you could talk to to give you hints here and there if you got stuck. I thought these were nice beginner's tools that made the game way more manageable and fun.

Another major reason I stuck through the game was mainly due to the great voice cast and genuinely funny humor that made me audibly laugh multiple times. The graphics were nothing amazing but got the job done and featured some nice animations with a range of places to visit. My only major gripe with the game were the constant load times whenever you transitioned to another area but they weren't aggressively long, at least playing it on an ODE.

This is a game I would definitely recommend even if you aren't the biggest point and click adventure fan like I am.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
That is the first I've ever heard of Blazing Dragons and I love that era of PnC adventure games, kinda want to play it now. Seems like it was console only too which is extra bizarre for that type of game.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Yeah, makes me wonder how many people never got to play it or like in your case never even heard about it because it wasn't on PC. Playing these types of games on a controller is definitely not ideal but it's manageable. I do know Myst on the Saturn had support for the Saturn mouse, but not Blazing Dragons.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Blazing Heroes aka Mystaria: The Realms of Lore aka Riglord Saga (Japan)

l6zkitxsunh31.jpg

This was an SRPG developed by Microcabin and published by Sega exclusively for the Sega Saturn that released in Japan as Riglord Saga in July 1995 and later ported to the West a few months later in November 1995 as Mystaria: The Realms of Lore. Apparently the name was later changed to Blazing Heroes as 'Mystaria' was a location in the popular Dungeons & Dragons IP and Sega was forced to reissue the game with the new title due to copyright issues, as well as changing the name of the in-game world from Mystaria to Oldeland. It's a bizarre case because typically any copyright issues would be squared away first before release however this came after the fact so you can find both variants of this game out in the wild, though they are identical in nature aside from the name change of the in-game world.

Original vs. Current
Mystaria_title.png
Mystaria_rev_changes-1.png

Mystaria_rev_changes-3.png
Mystaria_rev_changes-2.png

As for the game itself, I found this to be an excellent SRPG with some major shortcomings keeping it from true greatness when discussing the genre.
The main premise of the game is helping Aragon, the prince of Oldeland and the main character, rid an evil conqueror known as Bane who invaded and took the queen and your castle by force. The story gets a bit more complicated as it goes but for the sake of spoilers I won't dive too much into it.

Like a typical SRPG, you control your party via a grid-based playing field where you can interact with enemies, objects, and your party within your set range. What's neat about this game is the non-linear approach you are presented with once you get to the world map and need to recruit fellow heroes to your party to help defeat Bane. You start with 5 party members and need to recruit a total of 12 throughout the game. On your journey you visit other castles, towns with shops, taverns and townspeople to talk with to gather lore and information in the area, forests, islands, etc. The world map is a smaller affair compared to games of today, no doubt, but offers enough areas to explore and visit without feeling overwhelming which is a good thing considering how open-ended the game presents itself and how you can tackle progression.

The game features many battles in different locations and are quite good and can definitely pose a challenge if you go in unprepared. Like a typical SRPG, the game demands a methodical approach to your gameplay or else you will get overwhelmed by the enemies. Each character has specific fighting techniques via hand to hand combat, weapons, and magic that will develop into newer, stronger techniques based on how often you use a specific skill. Each character has up to 9 slots to equip different techniques and you can change these on the fly which is great. Just from my playthrough alone I could see the extensive amount of upgraded skills you can get for each character and the ability to pick and choose what you can use to help with a certain battle condition offers some really nice tactical play with the ability to typically bring 6 party members along for the battle.

However, I think the game is majorly let down by two big factors, and those are the graphics and the writing. Graphically, this is a pretty ugly game, even for the standards set back in 1995. It can also suffer from slowdown as well depending on what is happening on the screen. The other major letdown comes from the writing which I found to be very poor in quality and suffering from translation errors no less which really hurts the overall story and the characters. While the story does advance the narrative in different ways, definitely don't go into this game expecting a great story as it's mostly a generic medieval affair. Also, it's puzzling to me they chose to rename the game to Blazing Heroes for the West due to the Mystaria copyright claim when they could have easily just used its Japanese name, Riglord Saga, which is a far superior name than the generic Blazing Heroes, IMO. It's a shame these things weren't better, especially in the graphics department, because I feel many people may have passed on the game for this simple reason alone, but for those who looked past the ugly presentation, they were rewarded with a really fun and customizable SRPG experience.

Showcasing the less than stellar visuals:
hqdefault.jpg
Mystaria-067.jpg

Another disappointing thing was this game received a sequel the following year in 1996 but was only released in Japan as Riglord Saga 2 and was never ported to the West and I don't believe the game received any fan translations yet. A shame because I would love to play it but due to the extensive Japanese text for the dialogue and menus it would be basically impossible to play and enjoy. The original also remains a Sega Saturn exclusive and was never remastered or ported to another system, so I feel the game doesn't get its due when discussing good SRPG's as you never hear anyone talk about this game.

It's not a terribly lengthy game and I clocked in about 30 or so hours for my playthrough to the end. I would definitely consider this game a must-play if you are a fan of SRPG's and have the means to do so.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
both mystaria and blazing dragons always looked interesting, never saw either for a good price before the scene went skyhigh sadly

Yeah, collecting games is cool and putting in the original disc in actual hardware can't be beat for the pristine OG experience (and hooking it up to a CRT) however retro stuff is just too expensive for my tastes nowadays and why I opted to go with an ODE for my Saturn and Dreamcast. Another reason I went the digital route is it allows me to experience and play games that I find out I enjoy a lot that wouldn't have happened otherwise because I'd probably never buy it physically to begin with, and Blazing Dragons is a perfect example of that.

I just checked eBay now and Blazing Dragons isn't too expensive, around $30-$70 based on condition. Mystaria is more expensive as most listings are $100+. These are tame compared to the really rare stuff, too. Panzer Dragoon Saga has high graded versions running $3,000+. Hell, the manual for the game ALONE has a listing at $300. Absolutely insane. lol

Last edited:

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Yeah, collecting games is cool and putting in the original disc in actual hardware can't be beat for the pristine OG experience (and hooking it up to a CRT) however retro stuff is just too expensive for my tastes nowadays and why I opted to go with an ODE for my Saturn and Dreamcast. Another reason I went the digital route is it allows me to experience and play games that I find out I enjoy a lot that wouldn't have happened otherwise because I'd probably never buy it physically to begin with, and Blazing Dragons is a perfect example of that.

I just checked eBay now and Blazing Dragons isn't too expensive, around $30-$70 based on condition. Mystaria is more expensive as most listings are $100+. These are tame compared to the really rare stuff, too. Panzer Dragoon Saga has high graded versions running $3,000+. Hell, the manual for the game ALONE has a listing at $300. Absolutely insane. lol

agreed (and fuck grading games, frankly) but same, these will be played at some point on my satiator

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017

For some reason a case + disc copy of the PS1 version popped up on FB Marketplace for me just now and I thought first that it was a pirate version (as those were really common in Finland in the 90's) but nope, the PS1 version actually looks like that: no Playstation ribbon going across the bottom unlike most other PS1 releases. Especially weird for 1996 game.

3rNFrB3.png

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Rapid fire impressions!

Bottom of the 9th

240.jpg

I remember playing the N64 version of this game all the time back in the day. In a weird way I found this baseball game kinda fun? There are a lot of downsides - mediocre graphics, no MLB teams or stadiums, screen is way too cluttered - but the batting is pretty fun since you can move around the square in the batter's box to time a pitch and its location and also opt for a power swing which decreases the size of the square but offers more power. The fielding also completely lacked a ball marker which is kinda crazy but also fun to manually time everything. The Saturn port was basically on par with the PS1 though unfortunately it came out at the end of the 1996 season for the Saturn in October while the PS1 version launched in April. The N64 version wasn't until 1999.

--

Brain Dead 13

092667750282.jpg

An interactive movie game using FMV similar in style to Dragon's Lair developed and published by ReadySoft released in 1996 for the Saturn. To me, this game is basically a slog to play through simply because the trial and error required to figure out button combinations to advance is ridiculous with little to no indication on what to do so you'll be playing the same section over and over and over again just memorizing the patterns. It's not fun in the slightest, which is a shame because the actual animation style is pretty neat but no way am I sitting through this one to completion.

--

Break Point Tennis

s-l300.jpg

Developed and published by Ocean Software for the Saturn and PS1 in 1996. Virtua Tennis this is not. I will say this game supported some really nice animations for the player sprites, however you can tell they wanted to go for that ultra realism route with this game and in the process made it ultra boring that also lacked any real world players or courts. You can barely even cross the ball to mix up your opponent so it devolved to back and forth shots until someone gets lazy and mistimes the button press. At the time perhaps an impressive Tennis sim for fans but there are much better options.

--

Bubble Bobble also featuring Rainbow Islands

71AEu17MgEL.jpg

A retro compilation of Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands (shocker given the name) which were originally arcade games developed by Taito in the 80's. It was released on the Saturn and PS1 back in 1996. I always liked the Bubble Bobble arcade game and I don't believe I ever played Rainbow Islands in the past but I also found it pretty fun and this includes both the original and enhanced edition. Not worth the retail price it was asking for, but a good mini-compilation if you hold nostalgia for them from the arcades.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
yeah, i used to see bubble bobble one there for cheap for years, not really since i dove into the scene about 10 years ago sadly

and i get the trial & error frustration with braindead 13 (there's one section that really had me fucked up, wanna say it was another minecart thing) but it's a blast to watch

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Bug! and Bug Too!

s-l300.jpg
-
latest

These platformers were developed by Realtime Associates and published by Sega exclusively for the Sega Saturn. The original was not a launch title but was released only weeks after the official NA launch while its sequel showed up only a year later in 1996. They were also ported to the PC but by a separate team called Beam Software.

They were essentially considered 3D platformers and were some of the earliest examples of the genre, however it wasn't true 3D movement like what you would find in Super Mario 64 but rather restricted to set tracks you had to follow which could have you go in different directions.

Bug_for_sega_saturn.png

What's wild to me about Bug was that Sega was actually trying to set up the main character of the game (appropriately named just Bug) as a potential mascot for the Saturn due to the absence of Sonic the Hedgehog at the time during Saturn's launch period. They tried to mimic Sonic's attitude and colorful appearance which they thought would make Bug into an effective mascot (to me, he just seemed annoying and edgy like Gex). Hell, it even had Steven Spielberg give a ringing endorsement stating "This is the character! This is the character that is going to do it for the Saturn!" at CES in 1995. As you can imagine, this unfortunately didn't go over too well and never actually materialized, even with Spielberg's stamp of approval.

Still, this does not mean these were bad games. In fact, I would consider both games to actually be pretty good, yet often unfair in terms of the difficulty. The first game sold 150,000 copies by the end of 1995 and was the second most popular Saturn game behind Daytona USA. Sega were even in talks to produce an animated TV show with the IP but it never went beyond discussions. My main issue with both games is the often unfair difficulty spikes and the numerous ways you can easily die which can cause major frustrations, especially when level checkpoints can be few and far between as well as the game not saving your progress until after you beat the area's boss. A lot of times the camera is not pulled back enough so enemies and dangers could pop out of nowhere and hit you or you can just straight up fall to your death in certain platforming sections without even seeing where you are going, and judging distance is particularly hard when going vertically through parts. Make no mistake, these games were tough as nails and directly oppose the kiddy nature of the visuals. I can only imagine how many parents bought this game for their kids thinking it was some cute and funny game only to be giving their kids a lesson in platforming hell.

The sequel was mostly more of the same however it further refined the levels to make them seem more like actual platforming stages as opposed to the original Bug where it was visually just skinny vertical tracks everywhere. The sequel also introduced a sprint function as well as the ability to play as two different characters aside from Bug, Maggot Dog (way catchier than Tails, right?) and Super Fly.

240727839_1597229010609053_5259607324995227373_n.jpg

Overall, I think these are worthy games to play if you are a platforming fan, but just know the difficulty can be pretty brutal.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
Played some of my recent purchases yesterday finally: few fighting games with Thunder Stick, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (was great, plays great and looks beautiful!), Vampire Hunter (was fun, but showed it's age especially with the loading times) and Hang On GP '95 with the steering wheel. While Hang On GP '95 hasn't been the greatest reviewed or remembered title (especially against Manx TT), it was actually really fun with the Steering Wheel, it just fits the motorbike genre really well! The engine sounds can be grating, but they really help with manual transmission timings.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I'm under no illusion that Bug is a great game but I've still loved it ever since my dad got me a copy in 1995. I think if they had balanced it better and fixed some camera issues it would be a fantastic game. Personally, I think the biggest issue with them is how long the levels are. Like you said, there's not enough checkpoints and with the difficulty it becomes exhausting quickly. I don't think I'll ever beat Bug but it's a game that I'll probably attempt to at least once a year until my Saturn no longer works.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Burning Rangers

51CPSZYQy7L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Developed by Sonic Team and published by Sega exclusive to the Saturn in 1998.

This game was a mixed bag for me. Overall, I thought the game was quite enjoyable but there were many things that marred the experience whether that was due to Saturn's limitations or just the limitations of development time. Graphically, while it was bright and colorful with different fire effects, it also had numerous graphical glitching and collision detection issues. It also suffered from cases of massive slowdown which brought the game to a crawl in many instances. Sonic Team opted for no music during missions to emphasize tension and immersion and also to fully utilize the voice commands for navigation as opposed to a traditional map. I thought the voice navigation system was a nice touch instead of staring at a mini-map the entire time but the lack of an OST during gameplay is noticeable and can make the game feel a bit lifeless and dull while navigating the mazelike corridors of the levels. Using the 3D Control Pad was much better than a traditional dpad but moving and platforming could still be very finicky.

A picture showcasing the UI and fire effects:
retrocornersaturn_2.jpg

That leads to my next disappointment, and that was how short the game was. It only had 4 stages. Lead game designer, Takao Miyoshi, went on record in saying "everyone in the team wanted to put so much into the game that we only completed about half of what we wanted to do." I think as you play and when you finish the game you can clearly tell this was an unfinished product and Sonic Team did the best they could to ship a game on time during Saturn's waning years. It's a shame because what's there is pretty good, so it would have been great to just play more of it. The storyline, to me, was also a major indication that it seemed half finished. The basic premise up until the final stage is just clearing out fires and saving civilians, and then all of a sudden the final stage introduces an actual plot to save a girl and the planet itself. It comes out of nowhere, feels rushed, and concludes all in the final stage.

The game also featured anime cutscenes produced by TMS Entertainment and its subsidiary, Seoul Movie:
224778-burning-rangers-sega-saturn-screenshot-sup-dawg.png

Something cool you experience when playing the game though is seeing basically the early workings of Phantasy Star Online. In fact, according to Miyoshi, the game was conceived as an online game for four players, but became a single-player game when the team faced network problems. Some similarities I saw was shooting the gun like a PSO Ranger, switches looking/sounding the same, the last level was similar to Mines, and the signature Sonic Team boss fights at the end of each stage with the final two fights being similar to Volt Ops and Dark Falz in PSO.

The really unfortunate truth with this game though was that it was just released at a really bad time. It was among one of the final seven games released for the Sega Saturn in the US and nine months before the Japanese release of the Sega Dreamcast. When reading up about the game, Levi Buchanan from IGN at the time put it best and characterized the release as an example of the Saturn's "ignominious send-off", writing that "sunset Saturn games like Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga demanded far better launches. The way these games were slipped into retail with zero fanfare and low circulation was insulting to both hard-working developers and Sega fans."

To me, it's absolutely insane that this game never received a remaster/remake or sequel. Then again, Sega is notorious for letting good IPs just disappear and this is just another case of that. I would definitely recommend the game, and I assume Burning Rangers is a game that most Saturn owners have probably played already, but if not I would definitely give it a try.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Burning Rangers is a really cool game and you can definitely feel PSO being created with it. In a more just world, Sega would've been able to develop it until a full franchise with the Dreamcast but sadly that never happened. It's been a while since I've played it but I remember having a great time with it. It being short is nice because it's something that I can sit down and play through on a Saturday but I wish we got a more extended sequel that you could spend a week or so on.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Played some of my recent purchases yesterday finally: few fighting games with Thunder Stick, Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter (was great, plays great and looks beautiful!), Vampire Hunter (was fun, but showed it's age especially with the loading times) and Hang On GP '95 with the steering wheel. While Hang On GP '95 hasn't been the greatest reviewed or remembered title (especially against Manx TT), it was actually really fun with the Steering Wheel, it just fits the motorbike genre really well! The engine sounds can be grating, but they really help with manual transmission timings.

I only played two racing games with the steering wheel so far (Sega Rally Championship and Andretti Racing) and results have been iffy. I heard certain racing games feel better than others with it, though. I feel like mine has a noticeable dead zone when set to the neutral position and turning it left and right. I wonder if that's just a thing or made worse on mine.

I also notice my official arcade stick doesn't have the clicky sounds when rotating the stick. Was that a thing on the Saturn sticks or were they all silent?

I'm under no illusion that Bug is a great game but I've still loved it ever since my dad got me a copy in 1995. I think if they had balanced it better and fixed some camera issues it would be a fantastic game. Personally, I think the biggest issue with them is how long the levels are. Like you said, there's not enough checkpoints and with the difficulty it becomes exhausting quickly. I don't think I'll ever beat Bug but it's a game that I'll probably attempt to at least once a year until my Saturn no longer works.

Yeah, the levels were never ending which was annoying, too. There was one level in Bug Too later on in the game that was so large and confusing I just gave up. lol

Burning Rangers is a really cool game and you can definitely feel PSO being created with it. In a more just world, Sega would've been able to develop it until a full franchise with the Dreamcast but sadly that never happened. It's been a while since I've played it but I remember having a great time with it. It being short is nice because it's something that I can sit down and play through on a Saturday but I wish we got a more extended sequel that you could spend a week or so on.

Yup, a Burning Rangers 2 on the Dreamcast would have been dope. Still, I'm just super surprised we haven't even seen a remaster at this point. I suppose it just didn't sell well for obvious reasons and Sega saw PSO as the evolution of the game?

I think as you play and when you finish the game you can clearly tell this was an unfinished product and Sonic Team did the best they could to ship a game on time during Saturn's waning years.

I haven't really given this game much time, but I enjoyed it well enough with what little I have played.

You're probably correct, in that it does feel rather unfinished. I always took this into account and try not to be too judgemental toward this game. Most people seem to have similar sentiments.

How many months of development did they even get for this game?
They released Nights less than two years beforehand and released Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast the same year.
Makes sense that the game kinda felt like an afterthought.

I also notice my official arcade stick doesn't have the clicky sounds when rotating the stick. Was that a thing on the Saturn sticks or were they all silent?

By official, I assume you mean the only one released in North America (and maybe PAL regions)?
If so, yes - they probably only used rubber membranes for the stick movement. Don't own one, but that's what I assume.

Of course, Japan got legendary Saturn arcade sticks that were modeled after the Astro Cab. These all had proper switches and decent switched buttons.

In fact, one was literally an entire detached AstroCab panel:
qrlz1g6nrgj51.jpg

I still have yet to get one...but maybe one day.....but I own 2 HSS-0136 sticks and they're lots of good fun.

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
There was one in the Osaka Super Potato a couple years ago (it's probably still there) that looked like it was keeping the building from caving in.

There was one in the Osaka Super Potato a couple years ago (it's probably still there) that looked like it was keeping the building from caving in.

Ah, yes - I could believe that.
The HSS-0130 could definitely be used as a load bearing structure in the correct circumstances.

Surely, someone in this thread owns one of these beasts.

Just looked at the current prices and came to the realization that I'm probably not going to get one anymore.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
Almost landed a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga today but ended up in a sniping war and decided to give up. Tough break, I guess everyone lost in the end except for the seller :)

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT
dunno how that quote made it into here but it's del'd

Ah, yes - I could believe that.
The HSS-0130 could definitely be used as a load bearing structure in the correct circumstances.

Just looked at the current prices and came to the realization that I'm probably not going to get one anymore.

Alas I only have a HSS-0136

I really should open it up and give the insides a bit of a clean and oiling tho...
Rk5ZXys.jpg

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I haven't really given this game much time, but I enjoyed it well enough with what little I have played.

You're probably correct, in that it does feel rather unfinished. I always took this into account and try not to be too judgemental toward this game. Most people seem to have similar sentiments.

How many months of development did they even get for this game?
They released Nights less than two years beforehand and released Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast the same year.
Makes sense that the game kinda felt like an afterthought.

According to Wiki the development started right after Christmas Nights in November 1996. "According to Miyoshi, the entire development of the game spanned around a year and a half, although the programming took less than a year."

By official, I assume you mean the only one released in North America (and maybe PAL regions)?
If so, yes - they probably only used rubber membranes for the stick movement. Don't own one, but that's what I assume.

Yeah, I meant the Virtua Stick that was only released here.

320px-Saturn_MK-80302.jpg

It matches the jet black color scheme of the NA models perfectly but it's a very mid stick. What's annoying is the original Virtua Sticks in Japan have the micro switches for the stick giving it the clicky sound and for whatever reason were taken away for the US and EU models, probably to cost costs or something.

Of course, Japan got legendary Saturn arcade sticks that were modeled after the Astro Cab. These all had proper switches and decent switched buttons.

In fact, one was literally an entire detached AstroCab panel:
qrlz1g6nrgj51.jpg

I still have yet to get one...but maybe one day.....but I own 2 HSS-0136 sticks and they're lots of good fun.

Yah, the Japanese exclusive HSS-0136 and the above seem great. The 0136 models aren't crazy expensive but I'll probably just stick with the NA Virtua Stick for now.

What's annoying is the original Virtua Sticks in Japan have the micro switches for the stick giving it the clicky sound and for whatever reason were taken away for the US and EU models, probably to cost costs or something.

Interestingly enough, they did the exact same thing with the Mega Drive/Genesis arcade sticks. Japan was the only place to get microswitches, to my knowledge.

Yeah, not sure why - I, too, would assume it was due to costs or Sega thinking Western countries wouldn't care as much, I don't know.

Alas I only have a HSS-0136

I really should open it up and give the insides a bit of a clean and oiling tho...
Rk5ZXys.jpg

Yah, the Japanese exclusive HSS-0136 and the above seem great. The 0136 models aren't crazy expensive but I'll probably just stick with the NA Virtua Stick for now.

The HSS-0136 is an ace arcade stick.
If you're lucky, it comes stock with a Seimitsu stick. If you're unlucky, like I was, you'll get a mediocre ASCII stick.

I have two of these bad boys - both have a stick mod and one is fully modded with Seimitsu buttons.
The stick mod is relatively straightforward, but the button mod....well...that's an arduous task.

You will slightly ruin the artwork with the stick mod, but it can be done with minimal damage.

Edit: Heh, Piggychan, I think we both have the same footrest, which I also use to put my arcade stick on.
Works really well.

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
The HSS-0136 is an ace arcade stick.
If you're lucky, it comes stock with a Seimitsu stick. If you're unlucky, like I was, you'll get a mediocre ASCII stick.

I have two of these bad boys - both have a stick mod and one is fully modded with Seimitsu buttons.
The stick mod is relatively straightforward, but the button mod....well...that's an arduous task.

oh I probably got the ascii stick.

I picked it up a few years ago before COVID was a thing for around 700+ yen via yahoo auctions. It was listed as "junk" and I thought I'd try my luck. The shipping and fees was like 3000 yen but I still thought it was a bargain..

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition & Bust-A-Move 3

355px-BustAMove2_Saturn_US_Box_Front.jpg
355px-BustAMove_3_Saturn_US_Box_Front.jpg

Not much to say about these games. I enjoyed playing them in the past and they are fun puzzle games that made their way onto the Saturn. I forgot how weird the box art was for 2. What's cool about 2 is that it also includes a level editor to make your own levels.

--

Casper

77078-casper-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg

This game really surprised me because you would automatically assume this would be another awful movie to video game tie in but this is actually a good game, IMO. There were many versions of this game but the Saturn version was developed by Funcom and published by Interplay and came out in September 1996 which was actually a full year after the movie debuted in May 1995.

It's essentially an adventure puzzle game with a top down view that takes place in the mansion and you control Casper spanning three arcs that are loosely based on the movie's plot. What's interesting is that besides boss battles (your uncles) the game features no enemies and instead is one giant puzzle as you progress and unlock additional areas of the mansion to explore and gain new abilities. My only downside are areas can become a bit too similar and as you progress you can oftentimes get lost or forget where things are and depending on how good your memory is you will have to do lots of back tracking. Still, I do recommend this game if you enjoy this type of gameplay.

--

Center Ring Boxing

168277-center-ring-boxing-sega-saturn-front-cover.png

Known as King of Boxing in Japan and JVC Boxing in Europe, this was developed and published by Victor Entertainment for the Sega Saturn in December 1995. I'm not a big boxing fan and found this game to be pretty bad, but I can see this game appealing at the time for fans of the sport that were looking for something less arcadey. You can create your own boxer and fight in a simplistic career mode however no real world likenesses were in the game.

--

Cleaning Kit for Sega Saturn

CleaningKit_Saturn_US_Box_Front.jpg

Technically the 4th Sega Saturn Sonic title. I have an ODE so this is worthless, but it played a pretty funny video while it supposedly cleaned your discs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJ9Z9sEMEg

Umgawa

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

Sega Saturn |OT| Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Hi, davidwhangchoi, IrishNinja, Laevateinn and MikeMyers The Saturn Band is back together! Hi. Haven't posted my collection in the new thread yet:

Yessir, it's probably my holy grail. Have all three of the included moves lists too. It really does feel like being in the arcade using it.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Nice, my RAD2X order finally shipped today after placing an order for it back in November. Should be a huge upgrade from my basic ass Pound cable that I am currently using.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
whoah that cleaning kit looks cool

finally nabbed a saturn racing wheel + dc mouse for a good price, just need a deal on a mission stick one day!

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I got my racing wheel for free when I bought my third Saturn. I wanted to pay him more for it but he was just happy to get rid of it. Wild that there was a time when people would just give Saturn stuff away.