• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever discussions of the first major gaming handheld war (Game Boy, Lynx, Game Gear) come up, I feel there are often people underestimating the quality of the non-Game Boy line ups due to their lesser popularity and often more obscure games.

I previously did a Lynx thread https://www.resetera.com/threads/atari-lynx-appreciation-thread.19300/ There didn't seem to be one devoted to the Game Gear.

Game-Gear-Handheld.jpg

The Sega Game Gear was released in Japan in October 1990 and in Western countries starting in April 1991 with the puzzle game Columns as a pack-in title. The hardware was based on Sega's existing 8-bit Master System console but with a much larger colour palette. Its backlit screen made it good for indoor use although it wasn't quite as sharp as the one on the Atari Lynx. Unfortunately these lit screens sucked batteries at a much faster rate than the Game Boy's.

What I loved about all three of these portables is that they excelled in different areas when it came to software. There wasn't that much overlap between the portables' line ups.

Several games did appear on both the Game Gear and Master System (usually with minor differences) due to easy porting between the two. Japan and North America often only received the Game Gear versions due to the Master System being discontinued earlier than in PAL territories. While today I prefer playing the SMS versions for many 8-bit Sega games, back then I was happy to have the GG ones. In the early '90s living in Vancouver I had some access to Japanese imports but very little for European ones outside of magazines.

There were also devices made to play Master System games on Game Gear. The Master Gear Converter I had wasn't perfect as a bunch of games had graphical glitches but overall I thought it was pretty neat to able to play SMS games on the go.
288px-Master-Gear-Converter-front.jpg

Anyway, here are some quality GG games:

Shinobi II: The Silent Fury

The first GG Shinobi in 1991 was an excellent action-platformer (check it out on 3DS if you haven't played it) and the sequel expanded it further with more exploration and password saves. Despite audio-visual similarities to Revenge of Shinobi, these weren't downports of console or arcade Shinobis. In these you would rescue ninjas with unique abilities and add them to your party, giving the games a more Mega Man-like structure.

Power Strike II/GG Aleste II
aleste2.png

The two Game Gear Aleste games were exclusive titles in Compile's acclaimed shooter series. If you're a fan of games like Blazing Lazers (TG16), MUSHA (Gen/MD), or Space Megaforce (SNES), then you will probably enjoy them.

Sonic The Hedgehog
sonic.png

I bought my Game Gear prior to Sonic's release with Columns in the box but I was able to mail in my UPC code for a free copy promotion months later. And it was a damn good game. Instead of a half-assed port from Genesis, Ancient developed a unique version and it had catchy Yuzo Koshiro tunes.

Sonic had some nice sequels but I recommend playing Sonic 2 on the Master System instead as the screen cropping in the Game Gear version harms the gameplay a bit too much.

Crystal Warriors
crystalwarriors2-jpg-103c8229789a37c6f092c56c3d62cc91.jpg

This was one of the earlier Japanese Strategy/RPGs released in English so it definitely stood out having it on a portable.

Royal Stone
Royal-Stone-7.gif

Royal Stone was the follow up to Crystal Warriors. For years it was only in Japanese but now it has a fan translated rom available. It holds up really well.

Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
hajya.jpg

Thankfully this impressive SRPG was released in English back in the day. And like Crystal Warriors, it's still cheap to buy on 3DS Virtual Console.

Devilish
vampireboss.png

Ball and paddle/Breakout-style games really suited handheld gaming and I felt this was the most impressive one at the time. It had epic boss fights and a soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto, later more known for his work at Square.

Dropzone
Thumb-Dropzone-1994-Codemasters.jpg

This was a remake of Archer Maclean's Defender-inspired game that originated on Atari 8-bit. I don't think it was released outside of Europe so a lot of people missed out on it.

Ristar
ristar.jpg

Game Gear Ristar was quite similar to the Genesis game but the redone level design made it feel more like a spin off than a port. It's worth checking out if you're a fan.

Defenders of Oasis
1483051528-2349521944.jpg

This nicely filled the RPG void on the system at the time. Its Middle Eastern setting also made it stand out thematically.

Soukoban World
236011-sokoban-game-gear-screenshot-title-screen.jpg

Many systems had their versions of the classic box pushing puzzle game. I think the GG version was the ideal one for its era with its faster pacing.

Galaga '91
Galaga91-GG-GG2-SMS-1.png

A really well made, atmospheric Galaga game based on the 1988 arcade version.

Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck
68412-chuck-rock-ii-son-of-chuck-game-gear-screenshot-balance-on.png

Even with graphically superior 16-bit versions I played first, I find myself going back to the GG version. It's just a well crafted platform game, one of the best Western-style games in the genre for portables back then.

Dragon Crystal
dragon-crys.png

Rogue-likes were a rarity outside of computer formats. I always felt it worked really well as a quick fix portable game.

Kishin Douji Zenki
zenki.png

Anime action.

Sylvan Tale
Sylvan-Tale-Game-Gear.png

Unfortunately this action-adventure was left in Japan but I think it's playable without Japanese knowledge. There is a translated rom now anyway.

Gunstar Heroes
GG_03.gif

Developer M2 has made a name for itself over the years for quality ports and emulation. This impressive conversion from Genesis to Game Gear was M2's second game after Gauntlet IV.

Land of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
land.jpg

This was generally considered the best of the 8-bit Mickey games and had more adventure elements than Castle of Illusion before it.

Fatal Fury Special
Fatal-Fury-Special-UE-04.gif

Prior to the Neo Geo Pocket, I considered this the smoothest playing fighter made for portables.

Coca Cola Kid
cocacola.jpg

This had similar vibes to Aspect's Sonic Chaos but with kicking, wall jumping, and strange cross marketing.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Game Gear was awesome. It just needed more games.

My cousin had one, and I'd play it when I could. He'd bring it over to my house, or I'd play it at his, and he also let me borrow it for a trip to Florida. The first Sonic game for it was one of the best Sonic games they made.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I loved mine as a kid, but the battery life was terrible. Mostly played the Sonic games (Triple Trouble and Tails Adventure were faves)

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I enjoyed mine, actually saw it today digging around for something else, lol. I was flipping through some of photos at my parents house last year and saw a picture of me playing it (plugged in of course). I only have Columns, Joe Montana Football, and George Foreman's Boxing.

Dec 23, 2017
My most played game on the Sega Game Gear:

220px-The_Silent_Fury.PNG

Good times.

I also had Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic 3D, Sonic Chaos, Mortal Kombat and Mappy.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I loved mine but I had to play with it connected to the wall most of the time, thanks to that battery life.
Such fond memories of being home from school sick and finally finishing Ninja Gaiden!
And finishing Sonic 2 with all the emeralds, I will probably never have the patience to do that again.

I think my GG is still around somewhere, probably in a box in my parent's house.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I've been thinking about picking up a backlit modded one but have yet to pull the trigger. Not sure if I will or not. I have a few of the VC games on my 3DS which seem perfectly serviceable.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who say the battery life was terrible, go back in time and slap yourself for not getting this:

aK6qqXg.jpg

batteries were never, ever a problem for my game gear.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Oh boy, Game Gear.
I have two memories since I was pretty young back then.
First, I remember messing around with the TV tuner thingy.
Second, I was never able to finish Sonic cause I always ran out of battery before I could make it to the final stage.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DpfwmxCU4AAGbqm.jpg

This is my original game gear, with the original box. The very one I got for my birthday in september of 1992. I got Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion with it at the same time.

DpfwoPIV4AAWmDJ.jpg:large

Almost all of these boxes are my original ones too. From when I got them new.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Many of my old Game Gear games have these horrible scribbles on the back from when I was a kid:

DpfyDzJUcAA0fjJ.jpg:large

That's because, when paired a with a game genie...

DpfyFSiUcAYkobg.jpg:large

There was this little window on the unit...

DpfyHe7UcAAhEoE.jpg:large

So you could see your codes per game while you entered them into the game genie, which was great for when you were on the go.

DpfyI-KVsAEbt4E.jpg:large

The game gear game genie also had a small compartment in the back so you could store the codebook.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I myself have tons and tons and tons of game gears, Some have RGB-mods on them, a couple have McWill Screen replacements, some have controller ports added to them. My original game gear, the one I got in 1992, is still kicking, the screen still works (original) although I recapped it myself a few years back.

My favorite game gear, however, is this one:

COxk1G2.jpg

NdS1jbX.jpg

7e3x6vC.jpg

e6tGHub.jpg

This is a hybrid Sega Master System and Game Gear all in one unit, a super complex mod done by TmEE. If you look closely, he has combined the two units into one, desoldering SMS chips and routing them to the appropriate game gear chips on the board that is attached. The end result is a Master System that can play Game Gear games on a full TV. It also includes his crystal clear audio mod, a rapid fire button mod, custom controllers with 3 button + pause support (the third button maps to 1 + 2 being pressed at the same time), and the FM Synth module for the Master System.

When playing SMS games on it, it uses the SMS hardware itself, to avoid the graphical glitches that 4MB games have on the game gear. Otherwise, when playing game gear games, it uses the game gear hardware, with the video routed to the master system output.

Last edited:

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
DpfwmxCU4AAGbqm.jpg

This is my original game gear, with the original box. The very one I got for my birthday in september of 1992. I got Mickey Mouse Castle of Illusion with it at the same time.

This is a little unrelated, sorry, but have you ever shared pictures or details of your collection on here before?
It looks really impressive from what I can make out :)

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a little unrelated, sorry, but have you ever shared pictures or details of your collection on here before?
It looks really impressive from what I can make out :)

I've taken pics from here and there, but never really all at once. I have kept the boxes for EVERYTHING my entire life, but I don't really have space to display them. So all my console boxes are in storage, and those usually have other boxes for things like controllers or joysticks inside of them. One day I'd like to have enough room to display everything.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
forgot my jpn games too:

Dpf3BUMVsAAfp5_.jpg:large

I got a big ol box full of loose carts I keep in the closet, too. Many of them are duplicates, though:

Dpf3gPVVsAA0G1X.jpg:large

Oct 28, 2017
Fantastic handheld. Master System and Game Gear. These are systems I hold in VERY high esteem. Especially Master System. Game Gear was my favourite handheld until the DS/PSP era. Only systems more underappreciated than Game Gear are Master System and Vita.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
OP misses Tails Adventure. Severely underrated game.

Anyways loved my GG, but it's true that 1) battery sucked 2) it was way to bulky for a portable. Games looked amazing for a portable though.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya
ArhlwC.jpg

Thankfully this impressive SRPG was released in English back in the day. And like Crystal Warriors, it's still cheap to buy on 3DS Virtual Console.

This is really impressive in how they were able to condense the Shining Force experience so well on the Game Gear. Well, without the town exploration at least.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The entire reason I wanted a game gear was because A) It was Sega and B) It had Sonic. I knew nothing else about the machine when I got it. I had no idea it was a portable Master System (although that would have been a huge plus for me had I known before I got it, as I had a big SMS collection -- I was a Sega kid before the Genesis), or even that it was in color. In fact, I thought it was just a portable Genesis. I had a Genesis and Sonic on it, and just wanted to play Sega and Sonic on the road.

Couple of extremely strong memories from when I got mine -- they were phasing out the Sonic pack at the time, the Sonic 2 pack was right about to come out. I had seen the Sonic 1 pack advertised in a toys r us catalog. Instead, I was going to get the Core system and Sonic 1 separately, but I kept telling the guy that I was sure you could get it with Sonic included. They looked in the back (in that magical Toys R Us locker dealie) and sure enough, they had just one Sonic 1 pack left. So, I got that one instead, and my dad let me get Castle of Illusion since he was already going to buy Sonic 1 separately. So I wound up getting two games, and lucky me, Castle of Illusion was awesome.

Second - I remember opening the box in the car in the parking lot with my dad. We both marveled at how tiny and sleek the game gear carts were. They seemed so small. The game gear was the first portable anything I ever got. Didn't have any sort of walkman or those kinds of things prior. I remember the game gear feeling like just the highest quality anything I'd ever seen. It was so freaking solid, and sleek (yes, back in 1992, that black baby was sleek as shit). It felt super grown up. I remember my dad specifically warning me to never drop it, haha.

Third - I remember being absolutely blown away that Sonic was an original game! It WASN'T a port of the Genesis game, it was a brand new Sonic game for me to play. I was already counting down the days till Sonic 2, so having an entirely new Sonic game to play out of the blue was mind fucking blowing. I remember wishing I could actually play it on my TV screen, I liked it so much haha.

Which leads me to a fourth memory - shortly after buying the game gear and everything, I saw the US version of the Master System port of Sonic the Hedgehog in a Kay B Toys outside of Houston. I had no idea what I was looking at, because the box art was bizarre and not quite like the Genesis or Game Gear box art. It was, of course, the european Sonic box art, but it stuck out. My dad asked my mom if we should get it, and my mom told him naw, because I already had Sonic on the Genesis and game gear. So we put it back. And that's how one of the absolute rarest titles in all of video games slipped through my fingers.

The Christmas after I got my game gear, my dad got me a carrying case for it and the rechargable battery pack I posted above. I still have my carrying case, it's what I keep my game gear in still to this day. That case and rechargable battery pack, and eventually the Master Gear Converter which I got a birthday later, were fucking GODSENDS as a kid. I cannot tell you how many boring ass trips that game gear saved for me. The Master Gear Converter in general was just the overall MVP, it instantly gave me a large library of titles I could take with me. Games like Wonderboy in Monster Land or Shinobi were breathed new life as portable games. My sister was some big shot cheerleader at the time and would go on all sorts of state competitions that my mom and I would tag along with, and dear god that game gear made every one of them a billion times more tolerable. My family used to have an easter tradition where we'd go to the park for a picknick with the extended family, and for about a decade, I brought my game gear with me to every single one of those.

Man I loved the game gear, soooooo much. I feel bad for kids who didn't have SMS games, or had to use batteries, or any of those other problems. For me, my game gear was the raddest shit ever and I made it work. My dad has always been a huge nerd and loves gizmos and gadgets, and he would push me towards the game gear so hard. He'd actually encourage me to take it with me places. I think my dad in his own ways loved the game gear, he thought it was so futuristic. I remember him getting a palm pilot many years after my game gear, and we'd go places and play our handhelds together side by side haha.

One thing I regret, is I never got a tv tuner while analog tv was a thing. I have one now, and can do some neat things with it, but I never had it when it was THE peripheral. I had the Master Gear and the Game Genie instead. Like I said, though, I'd much prefer the master gear over anything else, though.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I still salty Game Gear MM never made it to the 3DS Virtual Console. I know its terrible, I played it through once via renting it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which leads me to a fourth memory - shortly after buying the game gear and everything, I saw the US version of the Master System port of Sonic the Hedgehog in a Kay B Toys outside of Houston. I had no idea what I was looking at, because the box art was bizarre and not quite like the Genesis or Game Gear box art. It was, of course, the european Sonic box art, but it stuck out. My dad asked my mom if we should get it, and my mom told him naw, because I already had Sonic on the Genesis and game gear. So we put it back. And that's how one of the absolute rarest titles in all of video games slipped through my fingers.
In Canada we had both the "US" and "Euro" style box arts for Genesis Sonic 1. It was common here to have English-only packaging (same as US) and also multi-language first-party boxes (Canada-exclusive boxes made because of Quebec).

When I rented Sonic, it was this box -
gen-box-cat__24818.original.jpg

And when I bought it the same week at the same store, it was this box art -
7tylxlttme5z.jpg

I was all ready to buy SMS Sonic in 1991 but when I ended getting it for free for Game Gear, I couldn't justify getting a variation of the same game twice.

I have had Americans mention online that they did come across "Euro" style Game Gear boxes in US stores back then.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wanted a Game Gear so badly when I was younger. I had to "make do" with a GameBoy (I'm only half-joking here, I really did want a GameGear). I wanted one and the TV Tuner but I'm not sure if it even would've actually worked well for me since I lived in Okinawa at the time and if I got one my parents would've probably gotten a US version at the BX or something? I don't know how it works...

Man, that would've been so rad if I could've used my Game Gear and TV tuner to watch Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, lol.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I believe this was the system I owned with the least amount of purchased games but damn if I didn't play Sonic 2 and Micro Machines to death as a kid.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, that would've been so rad if I could've used my Game Gear and TV tuner to watch Dragon Ball Z when I was a kid, lol.

I would spend hours converting old-ass Dragon Ball Z subs from real media format into low quality AVIs so I could watch them on my GP32 in GPCinema back in the early 2000s, lol.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I loved my GG as a kid but man is it hard to go bck to.

I usually just play sms conversions with my Everdrive on my MD now.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to recap my game gear. I've come across at least 4 in the wild and they've all been broken

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Shinobi II: The Silent Fury
ArhOC2.png

The first GG Shinobi in 1991 was an excellent action-platformer (check it out on 3DS if you haven't played it) and the sequel expanded it further with more exploration and password saves. Despite audio-visual similarities to Revenge of Shinobi, these weren't downports of console or arcade Shinobis. In these you would rescue ninjas with unique abilities and add them to your party, giving the games a more Mega Man-like structure.
Easily my favorite Game Gear game. I didn't play the original until its re-release on 3DS, and I have to say that The Silent Fury is so much more refined. I wish this formula had made its way into the Shinobi games on Genesis. I prefer The Silent Fury to any other installment in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Wow, didn't know that there was a Gunstar Heroes port for Game Gear...!

Great collection Krejlooc makes me wish I had kept all the stuff I had as a kid like my Game Boy, Virtual Boy, etc. I actually sold my Dreamcast about 5 or 6 years ago, it was Japanese modded and I had tons of JPN editions of games like Guilty Gear, Virtual On, Power Stone 2, etc. It was a prized collection but I just had it sitting around and was too busy with school to play it, so I sold it for beans. Wish I had never got rid of it, though. Oh well. :(

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, didn't know that there was a Gunstar Heroes port for Game Gear...!

Great collection Krejlooc makes me wish I had kept all the stuff I had as a kid like my Game Boy, Virtual Boy, etc. I actually sold my Dreamcast about 5 or 6 years ago, it was Japanese modded and I had tons of JPN editions of games like Guilty Gear, Virtual On, Power Stone 2, etc. It was a prized collection but I just had it sitting around and was too busy with school to play it, so I sold it for beans. Wish I had never got rid of it, though. Oh well. :(

I'm about to make a topic about my virtual boy tomorrow, actually, haha. I sent mine to Furrtek a while back and it's sitting in the post office waiting for me. Figure it'd be a nice opportunity to make a topic about the VB in general. I kept all my boxes for it, as well.

My parents drilled it into my head from a super early age to keep boxes. Like I said, my dad was a nerd, and he has lots of boxes to all the shit for his hobbies, too. My mom was a neat freak, and thus she couldn't stand loose cartridges. We used to have a big VHS cabinet in our TV room with hundreds of VHS boxes, and that's where I'd put my games. We had a master system, not an NES, and then a Genesis, so all my games came in clam shells. When I'd be done playing, my mom would yell at me to put them back in the box and then put the box in the cabinet.

When I eventually got into Nintendo stuff as well, and the game gear, it was just habit to keep the cardboard boxes, like we did with VHS boxes.

Really glad they did, though. The vast,vast, vast majority of my video game collection is CIB. I have a handful of games for each system without boxes, but most of this stuff was bought new back in the day, and thus I kept the boxes.

I hate that most people threw away NES and SNES boxes, though. I got lots of NES and SNES games used, so they comprise the majority of my "unboxed" collection.

An example of my dad's pack rat tendency:

DMEYr5lUQAAaQKX.jpg:large

DMEYLsuV4AAuO76.jpg:large

DMEZD2jUEAE3doh.jpg:large

This is a bootleg album. My dad made it in the 70's. He'd record other people's LPs from their record players using his reel to reel, then would type up the track list on a type writer for the box. He has TONS of these, lol.

Another example: Boxed Netscape. Not just one, but multiple. My dad has multiple boxed copies of Netscape, lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
My old Game Gear has a busted capacitor, but I found a local place that repairs them for relatively cheap. Found out that they also do the LED mods too, so I might invest in that at some point, expensive as it is.

Back in about 2002 or so, I remember walking into an Odd Lots (remember those?) in NYC and seeing a new in box Game Gear with a truckload of complete inbox games on clearance for around $50. Never jumped on it but should've considering stuff like Defenders of Oasis and Mega Man were some of those games.

And yeah, Land of Illusion is fantastic.

tokkan

Nov 1, 2017
Game Gear had some awesome games, but for me, there was also my gaming low-light: an expensive purchase of Taz-Mania. I suppose it taught me the value of game reviews, but man was I bummed out when I breezed through that game in under an hour.

Sonic 2 was awesome. Star Wars was great. I enjoyed the X-Men game. NHL hockey was great. A lot of good stuff. And I didn't even know about a lot of the great games people are sharing here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome OP but it's missing my favorite GG hidden gem: Tengen's Magical Puzzle Popils by Bubble Bobble creator Fukio Mitsuji (RIP).

Last edited:

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
People who say the battery life was terrible, go back in time and slap yourself for not getting this:

aK6qqXg.jpg

batteries were never, ever a problem for my game gear.

I feel like both the Battery Pack and the TV Tuner were hard to get a hold of back in the day.
I used to chew through batteries with marathon sessions of Columns and Sword of Hajya.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I must've spent most of my Game Gear time playing Sonic 1, Halley Wars and Crystal Warriors - usually with the AC adapter because it'd drain a full set of batteries in no time. It felt remarkable at the time to play games with graphics and sound somewhere between the NES and Genesis, but in a portable. Crystal Warriors was especially fun to replay because if you remembered what sort of enemies were coming up on the next map, you would know which of the two party members would be best to recruit in each town.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
DpfwmxCU4AAGbqm.jpg

Triple Trouble on Master System? What is this madness and how do I get hooked up

OP
OP

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game Gear had some awesome games, but for me, there was also my gaming low-light: an expensive purchase of Taz-Mania. I suppose it taught me the value of game reviews, but man was I bummed out when I breezed through that game in under an hour.
It's too bad the Game Gear didn't get the Master System version of Tazmania instead. It's a completely different game by a different developer, and a lot better.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Pictured, a Game Gear extended battery pack. Gives an additional 3 hours of play time

1200px-Kernkraftwerk_Grafenrheinfeld_-_2013.jpg

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
DpfwmxCU4AAGbqm.jpg

Nice bullshottery with superimposing the 16-bit version of Sonic 1 onto the Game Gear screen.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice bullshottery with superimposing the 16-bit version of Sonic 1 onto the Game Gear screen.

It likely wasn't super imposed. The TV-Tuner had an RCA-in jack. It's actually a still from one of the commercials, which showed the title screen animated. Since the TV Tuner is advertised all over the box, I always assumed they just took some promo screens of the sega genesis version running through the tv tuner.

That said, the Sonic 1 SMS/GG title screen is actually based on an earlier beta title screen from the Sega Genesis version of Sonic 1:

latest

hqdefault.jpg

Sonic 1 on the SMS/GG in general includes lots of beta elements from the Genesis version, indicating that Ancient, the company that developed the 8-bit version, likely didn't keep close contact with Sonic Team during development after a certain point. More info: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=20657&st=0

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I truly admire the Game Gear but these days it's the one single platform I can think of where I 100% prefer emulation to the official hardware :(

It's really unfortunate but Game Gears simply have not survived the test of time between all of the dead/dying capacitors and washed out screens.

Maybe someday I'll make the plunge and buy a modded Game Gear, but until then I enjoy playing GG titles on my softmodded 3DS or my buddy's Retron 5 w/the converter they have available.

Napalmjam

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite handheld ! loved the sonic games and Popils but the Shinobi GG games were amazing .

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
I got this as a kid. 100% AC Adapter. I don't think I ever booted it with batteries in for the entire time I owned it.

Fond memories of playing MLB World Series Baseball under the covers well after lights out. Thanks backlight!

The only other games I owned were Sonic 2 MKII, and..uh... Surf Ninjas.