• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
CmlWwg9.jpg

Platform: Sega Saturn

Release date:
JP: January 29, 1998
NA: April 30, 1998
PAL: June 5, 1998

Panzer Dragoon Saga is a rare game. The price has steadily gone up since the mid-2000s, but it can sometimes still be found for less than the price of a PS4 Pro. The dream is to see this officially ported to modern platforms, but Saturn development was notoriously difficult. That said, there have been a number of articles about the game's development as of a year ago, and the 20th anniversary of this game has brought attention back to this lost gem. Recent polls that Sega's held have been encouraging as well, with the Panzer Dragoon franchise placing high among fans as a most-hoped revival. For those who can't spend the money on such an expensive game, then I hope you can still use this thread to learn about the title and its history.

Articles on the history of the series:
The Ringer: The Ruinous Road of Gaming's Missing Masterpiece
Polygon: Panzer Dragoon Saga: An oral history

There's also a pretty thorough fansite about the Panzer Dragoon series called Panzer Dragoon Legacy. Thanks to Skye Welse and Projekt Nemesis 117 for contributing the artwork that I used for the image at the top of this OT.

Trailer

Back of box details
Enter the world of Panzer Dragoon Saga, and experience a game like no other: a fusion of classic Panzer action with the most technologically advanced RPG to come to Saturn. Board your morphing dragon and behold as the mysteries of the Panzer wrold unfurl across 4 massive CDs. The new "rail free" 3D engine lets you soar deeper into role-playing adventure than you ever before imagined. Your destiny awaits.

-Classic Panzer action fused with deep RPG gameplay.
-"Rail free real-time 360-degree flight.
-Dynamic Metamorphosis system enables real-time dragon morphing. Your dragon will grow and mature during your adventure.
-Epic adventure spans 4 CDs.
Uncompromising conclusion to the classic Panzer Dragoon saga.

About the game
Set after Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga takes the series in a different direction. While the first two games were on-rail shooters like Star Fox or Sin & Punishment, Panzer Dragoon Saga adapts some of these mechanics for a unique RPG battle system. There isn't a party system, nor are there items to enhance defense or offense. Instead, you can change your dragon's stats and balances in the in-game menu, and this will also determine the shape and look of the dragon. Battles are a constant fight against your enemy who will try to maneuver to your weak point, so you have to try and do the same, although sometimes the best way to damage an opponent is to place yourself in harm's way, so strategy and timing is key. Outside of battle are large free-roaming flight sections, which makes up the majority of the traversal in the game.

The story is a simple revenge story, but that's to the game's benefit. Panzer Dragoon Saga doesn't waste the player's time, with a runtime that clocks in around 15 hours. The cast is tightly focused and the plot moves along at a smooth pace. There are very few side quests and only one town/village (which is where the game shows its age the most). However the game is fully voiced in Panzarese or Japanese, even during FMV cutscenes at a time when that wasn't happening.

While the story is set after the first two Panzer Dragoon games, they are not that necessary to playing Panzer Dragoon Saga. Saga mostly references the happenings from Panzer Dragoon II Zwei though, and having save data of Saga or Zwei will unlock items in the other game.

Screenshots

Reviews
Gamerankings

James Mielke said:
Panzer Dragoon Saga has been called Sega's answer to Final Fantasy VII, but that is an unfair comparison. Panzer Saga, in its own way, is so much more than Squares' ultimate RPG. It is a worthy successor to a series that with each installment has grown in stature and scope. It is flawlessly executed, limited only by the hardware (and barely that at all) and medium. Unlike other recent RPGs, such as Parasite Eve and Grandia, Panzer Dragoon Saga is truly a "cinematic RPG." Wide-screen in vision and Technicolor at heart, you can only imagine where the next one will take us. It's almost fitting, in the twilight of the Saturn's years, that it should end as it began. Panzer was always the brightest example of what the Saturn had to offer, and this third and final chapter reveals what Team Andromeda was up to all along - to fulfill the legacy of Panzer Dragoon and deliver Panzer Dragoon Saga, possibly the finest RPG of 1998.

RPG Fan said:
But all of those gripes are minor and don't effect the experience negatively. This is an incredible game and one that every RPG fan should own. And hopefully it will hook many that never considered playing an RPG, and make them love the genre. RPG's are experiencing a renaissance right now, and Panzer Saga is a Michelangelo in the genre. Team Andromeda is a rising star in the industry and are easily the equal of the greatest developers in the industry. You can tell when a developer really cares about making a great game, and it's obvious everywhere you look in Panzer Saga that they love what they do.

Where to Buy:
eBay
Amazon

About the Music
Additionally, the soundtrack was rearranged in 2018 by the original composer. An article by The Verge can be read here.

Resurrection: Panzer Dragoon Saga 20th Anniversary Arrangement
CD or Vinyl
Digital

Last edited:

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Whew boy copies are damn expensive. Plus I don't own a Saturn.

Sega, pls work on getting a port made. Don't care if it's glitchy and 480, just wanna play.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
Great game, a bit too easy and maybe short but as an experience second to none (and you can always go for scoring well on the fights rather than just beating them).

I was part of fan forums over a decade after playing it and we were still discussing awesome lore details and working on in-depth theories about them.

They really need to make another shooter. Make it work like Orta, but look like Saga's intended art style (only a few Orta areas did imo).

And have the story mysterious and relatively minimalist like Zwei's. Then maybe the'll get the chance for another RPG.

Oh, and either make it a prequel or completely retcon Orta ever happening story wise, thanks.

I'd also settle for, instead of another rail shooter if that's too niche nowadays, a well crafted Monster Hunter clone where you play as random hunters, discovering natural areas and mutated monsters as well as ruins and towers with pure type creatures in them, uncovering parts of the lore, just trying to get the village to survive story wise, having the occasional cameo like a dragon emblem/shell or shellcoof area, journal entries or messages from known series characters, etc., then have mounts like coolias for traversing the overworld lands connecting the different hunting grounds and the weapons ranging from primitive crafted stuff to hybrids of ancient tech taken from the monsters/ruins and the occasional fully working ancient weapon, possibly super powerful and also super limited, expending itself or its ammo very fast. The Empire could be involved in the story as well in a race against the hunters/seekers towards a set goal (I dunno, something like an active gateway to parts of Sestren that will allow the empire to activate some grand weapon of mass destruction or army of monsters, while the Seekers uh, seek to destroy it and seal it forever?) revealed at some point in the story as the cause for various misfortunes and monster reappearances, but I'd rather not have humanoid enemies within the gameplay. Someone build this please...
hunters.jpg

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely one of my favorite RPGs. I really wish Sega would re-release it somehow so more people can play it.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Had a glowing feeling seeing an OT for this on the front page. It's great to see such a mythical cult classic get such a thought out OT. I do have faith we'll get a remake one day if Sega becomes more willing. It's topped in the top 5 of many Sega polls in Japan and the West, of games people wanted to see.

I've still yet to play through my copy. I've only had the fortune of playing the other panzer dragoon games to completion but not Saga. You should some gifs and the cover art too. The game has a lot of beautiful moments in its first disc that I can remember and all the extra art that comes with the games case is beautiful

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the source code long lost which complicates efforts to port/remaster the game?

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know we could have OT for old games...legit thought it was rereleased suddenly. I was actually excited...thanks for that one....

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
For a long time even emulation wasn't an option for PDS because Saturn emulators sucked until like 2013.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I think it is still worth playing. It sustains a unique atmosphere. There's a stripe of cosmic horror, where you as a human beeing are low on the food chain.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I made a thread recently about how I bought a Saturn. I will probably find a way to play this.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
I have a copy of this in excellent condition that I got off some guy for $75 (this was like 17 years ago). Right after I got it, the Saturn I was borrowing stopped saving games, so I never got to play it.

I should probably play this, right?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a second you got me excited that something had been announced.

Panzer Dragoon: The Pandora's Box, featuring:

- Panzer Dragoon

- Panzer Dragoon Zwei

- Panzer Dragoon Saga

- Panzer Dragoon Orta

Release it, you cowards.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
1998 was a damn good year for games. This is one of the reasons why. First RPG I ever 100%'d, and the battle system alone is something that still stands out as being one of the all-time most unique and fun.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'll be honest, while it's a great game, the mystique behind it colored my expectations a bit too much. Nice battle system with an interesting twist on ATB and simple positioning, otherworldly music and environments, but at times I felt the environments were mainly flat fields, and the story felt a tad lost in translation.

OP
OP
AniHawk

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I have a copy of this in excellent condition that I got off some guy for $75 (this was like 17 years ago). Right after I got it, the Saturn I was borrowing stopped saving games, so I never got to play it.

I should probably play this, right?

absolutely! i first played it in 2015 and i was struck by just how modern it felt for a game from the early 3d era.

OP
OP
AniHawk

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the source code long lost which complicates efforts to port/remaster the game?

that's the story at least. i've looked into the possibilities and it's basically down to a port job if anything at all. the problem is how the saturn had so many protections on it that it's really difficult to emulate the system at all. two years ago some real progress was made into reverse engineering the saturn though, and at least from what i saw, that should help in porting efforts.

the game was also set to release on gametap around 2008-2009 before it went under, and it was close to done. with advances in methodology it might be possible to get a really good port soon. i hope so at least. a remake based on the source code seems very out of the question though.

MetsFanAtShea

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I occasionally get mine out of storage and play it. Still fun, and the sloppy warping looking polygons actually add to the look of the world to me. I still remember a Software Etc manager asked me if my copy ran ok? She told me something I find hard to believe. That Sega goofed on the copies made for America. That not all copies had all their proper disks. So some people had something like two disk 4's and no disk 3 @@ She further told me Sega wasn't going to fix the problem,just refund the money. Said that there were a few thousand copies of these running around. Anyone hear of this? To this very day I sorta laugh at this story but then again back in those days Sega had some really awful management so maybe its true,I dunno. Great game,but this little story always sticks in my head. heh. I still remember the debate at Gaf over whether which was better back then, this or FF whatever number the series was on. To me I was just happy that Sega brought the game over and translated it for us. Small little miracle there.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I should sell my copy before Sega wises up and releases an emulated version for $150.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
that's the story at least. i've looked into the possibilities and it's basically down to a port job if anything at all. the problem is how the saturn had so many protections on it that it's really difficult to emulate the system at all. two years ago some real progress was made into reverse engineering the saturn though, and at least from what i saw, that should help in porting efforts.

the game was also set to release on gametap around 2008-2009 before it went under, and it was close to done. with advances in methodology it might be possible to get a really good port soon. i hope so at least. a remake based on the source code seems very out of the question though.
Saturn emulation has been fine as any other old school system's for way longer than 2 years (though the older you go the less visual enhancements you could add to games, which I was okay with). The DF Retro about Panzer 1 and Zwei mentions a bit of it and isn't even using the most compatible/considered best emus because they opt for another one as favorite due to its ability to enhance the visuals and use debug things like disable certain rendering layers and techniques on the fly to see how it all combines to form the game you play. I was using SSF for years and it was more than fine but now have switched to Mednafen's Saturn core which is great too. I imagine SEGA can either use whatever of these is open sourced to an extent or create their own easier since they have the full system open to them and the methods of the others.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a little moment I thought there was a rerelease that came out today I totally missed out on! :lol

julian

Oct 27, 2017
What timing! My friend and I have been doing a replay of this when we have time to hang out. We are about halfway through.

Some things are definitely rougher than I remember, but it's still so unique we're having a good time.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game at launch and played through it about a dozen times, one of my all-time favorites.
Back then I was so perplexed that almost nobody was talking about it, I'm glad that its cult classic status grew over the years and people are still paying it homage 20 years later.
Keep the dream alive people, maybe one day...

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought PDS day one. It really is fantastic. The only thing missing is an option for higher difficulty.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
One of my first RPG, there are still so many images from it that I carry with me.

I should replay it one of these days.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
The more panzer dragoon threads on Era the better - any remote possibility that Sega wakes the fuck up and releases a port of one of their greatest games of all time, is better than none.

For a second you got me excited that something had been announced.

Panzer Dragoon: The Pandora's Box, featuring:

- Panzer Dragoon

- Panzer Dragoon Zwei

- Panzer Dragoon Saga

- Panzer Dragoon Orta

Release it, you cowards.

This. This!

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
My funny moment, I had no idea about South Park or anything back in the day so when I read the phrase "they killed Kenny" (or something along those lines) marked on a pub's table I went all over the city and even more areas trying to do my best to find out more about this Kenny guy and his murderers thinking it may lead to some side story or additional lore bit at the very least. God damn whoever worked that reference in, I wonder what it said in Japanese...

julian

Oct 27, 2017
My funny moment, I had no idea about South Park or anything back in the day so when I read the phrase "they killed Kenny" (or something along those lines) marked on a pub's table I went all over the city and even more areas trying to do my best to find out more about this Kenny guy and his murderers thinking it may lead to some side story or additional lore bit at the very least. God damn whoever worked that reference in, I wonder what it said in Japanese...

I really wish that wasn't in there. It's just so out of place.

I remember preordering this at Electronics Boutique and when I picked it up seeing a stack of 5 copies. The guy said they were all preorders and that was all they were getting. How true that was.

The battles are still unique if not a bit easy. Changing your dragon adds some fun and variety. The music holds up extremely well, but hoo boy is that town rough to run through.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I hope this gets ported at some point. I'm afraid as things are looking, i will never be able to play this game.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite thing about the battle system is how much variety they got out of what is essentially a 2-button combat engine. Even up until the very last battles in the very last dungeon, they are still throwing cool, unique twists on the rules of combat. The grading system of the combat is what makes it all come together. Every single enemy encounter type in the game is like hand crafted, and there is definitely a pattern to follow if you want to get good grades. If you're really good, you can actually get through many of the battles without ever taking damage. One of the few RPG battle systems I'd say are honestly skill based. You can legitimately be better at Panzer Dragoon Saga's combat than someone else.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Managed to procure a copy off eBay two years ago at a surprisingly decent price (still rather expensive but not the ridiculous prices you always see). Same goes for Shining Force 3 and Suikoden 2 (before the re-release happened on PSN). I always hoped I'd also be able to do the same with Snatcher, which is definitely one of my favourite games. I've played through the first two discs of Saga on my Saturn (again, never owned one back in the day, just procured a Saturn a few years ago) and really enjoyed it as I played it, then went on holiday and forgot to pick it back up at the time. I really should return to it and finish it, since I'm a big fan of the series (played the original Panzer Dragoon on PC back in the day since I never had a Saturn, bought Orta at release on OG Xbox and the very first game that I got with my very, very late Saturn buy was Zwei). Not played Mini, but then again, not many have. I love the music for the entire series and the general vibe/atmosphere and gameplay stylings that Team Andromeda (and later Smilebit) went for. Shame rail shooters are now officially dead. The only chance for revival would be through the RPG route nowadays, so either a sequel to Saga or a remake, SEGA should seriously consider it (or just license out the IP like Shenmue 3 and Streets of Rage 4 are being), although I remain doubtful since it's been just too long now but you never know, especially since they seem to be open to licensing their IPs out. Still, I'll always treasure my memories of this series. It's definitely one of my favourites from SEGA.

And yes, the newly released music was a real treat for fans. Loved it.

It still hurts to think that 1998 really was 20 years ago now. What a year for gaming.

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic battle system, gripping story, unique world and a hauntingly original soundtrack. (pats original PAL copy)

A personal favorite.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I wish the tracks were made longer for the soundtracks, most are too short, a couple minutes or less...

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest JRPGS - and one of the greatest games - ever made. Atmostpheric as hell with great music, voice acting, story and one of the most elegantly simple yet rewarding battle systems ever devised for an RPG. I loved it at launch and to this day, and it's almost criminal that people cannot legally play it today without spending megabucks.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone wants a glimpse of the battle system of Panzer Dragoon Saga without spending a shitload of money, I've always felt Parasite Eve is probably the closest any other game got to it's combat. Still some huge differences, but they're similar enough to be enjoyable for largely the same reasons.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
If anyone wants a glimpse of the battle system of Panzer Dragoon Saga without spending a shitload of money, I've always felt Parasite Eve is probably the closest any other game got to it's combat. Still some huge differences, but they're similar enough to be enjoyable for largely the same reasons.
As someone who loathed that game I have to disagree :P