Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Hello all! I'm about to get into my yearly playthrough of Final Fantasy XI and I thought it might be wise to make a thread (thanks FFXIV for announcing a crossover!) containing a compendium of info for people who may be playing it for the first time or might be recently returning to the game. Please note that if you have a question with FFXI and any part of it, don't hesitate to ask! With all that said, let's get this started!

ogp_eu.png

Basic Questions:

What is Final Fantasy XI?

Released in 2002, Final Fantasy XI is a subscription-based MMO (Note: you pay PER active character) that is still going strong to this day with its seemingly final batch of content being released earlier this year. Despite the words "final batch of content", the game still receives monthly patches in the forms of content rotations and events for the month, of which a free-to-play month will be hitting soon (almost every November like clockwork) for returning players.

Why should I play?

Final Fantasy XI is almost universally the game played the least in the franchise and due to that, is often considered a hidden gem within the mainline franchise, especially for it's story. Final Fantasy has 5 full-blown expansions (Rise of Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urgan, Wings of the Goddess, Seekers of Adoulin), 6 smaller add-on content pieces, 1 major story release that wraps everything together (Rhapsodies of Vana'diel) and 1 final piece of story content (Voracious Resurgence) that just fully concluded recently. Almost all these story lines are fantastic and weave together to create some memorable fights, scenes and story moments!

As an older MMO and a more classic Final Fantasy, gameplay in Final Fantasy XI is focused on a more relaxing rhythm, with some abilities having cooldowns being 1, 5, 15, or 30 minutes long (as an example). Due to this, moment-to-moment gameplay consists of checking if your TP (points you get for hitting an enemy) is over 1000, and if it is, using a weapon skill while using spells and abilities as they come off cooldown when applicable. At higher levels, this can mean you are intensely busy every second (depending on job), but until then the best way to approach combat is to relax and listen to music, watch TV, listen to a podcast, etc. However, you will not commonly be killing 500 bees in a row like the old days, with modern gameplay instead focusing on looping "quests" such as "Kill 3 bees, 2 crabs and 1 fish" which means you have to do a bit of legwork to find all these monsters and kill them!

Technical Questions:

What the hell is PlayOnline?

PlayOnline is the great god in the sky that WILL attempt to blast out your eardrums at least once in your life. When you buy Final Fantasy XI, it'll come with a PlayOnline ID code which you need to keep and cherish forever because it'll be the key to getting your account back, and you'll need to tie it to your Square-Enix account in order to manage your subscription. Final Fantasy XI is essentially an app launched through PlayOnline, which means you'll have to navigate it for initial setup (always a headache). After initial setup, you'll likely skip through most of PlayOnline as you go straight to the game.

How do I subscribe?

In order to subscribe to Final Fantasy XI or setup your account initially, you'll need to make a Square Enix account at https://secure.square-enix.com/

Once logged in, you'll need to select the Final Fantasy XI account system (not XIV!). From there you can see your PlayOnline ID (if you have one) or tie a new Service Account/PlayOnline Service Account to your account. Once registered, your info will be added to "active service accounts", of which you can then select "Options List". From this page, you can add characters to your account (which you'll want to add one unless you have an old character), edit your payment details, see your active/non-active characters, and edit some other options you don't have to worry about unless you are registering things!

Once you have your PlayOnline ID, your Square-Enix account user name and password and an active character (subscription or free days), congrats! You've gone through hell and are now ready to log-in! In order to log-in, open PlayOnline, create a member name (this is what people who friend you will see), enter your PlayOnline ID, enter your PlayOnline Password which you were provided (or this was set through your Final Fantasy XI account management system or this is your Square-Enix password if you merged your XI account with your SE account years ago), feel free to skip the Member Password section, and finally, enter your Square-Enix ID into that section. If you are using an account with an authenticator active from XI or XIV, set "One Time Password" to "Use", otherwise leave it off.

At this point, go make a sandwich cause PlayOnline will update. If you are a new account, you may have to go through a few more screens but eventually, you'll reach a screen with menu items like Final Fantasy XI, Navigator, Extras and more on the left side. From here you'll be able to select "Final Fantasy XI" and as long as you have an active subscription you'll be able to hit "Play", which will start updating Fina Fantasy XI. Kick back, relax and let it do its thing and you can go read War & Peace or all of TVtropes. Once finished, you'll be able to select a little blue gem next to the "Final Fantasy XI" menu item in the initial PlayOnline menu and skip a whole bunch of these slow-ass screens.

Why can't I Alt+Tab?

By default, Final Fantasy XI is an old ass game from a time when games did not like to Alt+tab and since FFXI is a MMO, Alt+tab was generally disabled to prevent cheating. However, Square-Enix has updated the game since then and you are now able to Alt+Tab by setting the game to "Start in Windowed Mode" through the Final Fantasy XI config EXE the game installs on your PC.

If you run into issues with Final Fantasy XI's windowed mode behavior, there is a community "mod" tool that allows for a smoother alt+tab experience (as well as a whole host of other customizations for the game) available here.

Gameplay Questions:

What races can I be?

Final Fantasy XI allows you to choose between 5 races, and for the initial climb to 99, your racial choice WILL matter. However, whatever racial disadvantages that come with your race can be overcome with gear, merit points, and other things at max level, so don't sweat it too much if you end up being really attached to a certain race. I'll note these advantages and disadvantages below!

Races:
Humes (FFXIV Hyur) - Your standard human, available as both male and females. Stats are kind of flat across the board, so you'll be decent at everything and excel at nothing.

Elvaan (FFXIV Elezen) - Elves, available as both males and females. Unlike typical fantasy elves, FFXI elves are neither smart nor dexterous, so they tend to be at a disadvantage when playing offensive caster (lowest starting intelligence) and have the highest miss rate (lowest DEX and pretty bad Agility). They make up for this by having the highest strength and mind, so they are great healers, debuffers and when they do hit something, they hit like a truck.

Tarutaru (FFXIV Lalafel) - The small kickable football race, available as both males and females. THE Intelligence caster race, Tarutarus have high intelligence and high MP. However, they have low HP and tend to be weaker in the strength department.

Mithra (FFXIV Miqote) - Cat ladies, only available as female. This race tends to have the highest DEX and agility and are honestly pretty decent all round at everything, having slightly less HP and strength than say, elves.

Galka (FFXIV Roes, now with tails!) - Sand people, male presenting. Highest Vitality and Strength (along with Elves) but also as dumb as rocks (low Intelligence/Mind) and has the lowest starting MP of any race.

What jobs can I play?

Upon creating a character for the first time, you'll only be able to select from a few jobs: Warrior (Tanky DPS), Monk (Tanky DPS), Thief (DPS), Red Mage (Hybrid Caster), White Mage (Healer), and Black Mage (DPS). You can change your job at any time and once you hit level 30 you'll be able to access quests to unlock every other job. Eventually, if you so choose, you'll have all the colors of the job rainbow, with all the following jobs open to you:

img_job_about_01_pc.png

More to come soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
The Thanatos Guide on How To Hit The Ground Running In FFXI:

Character Creation:
- As mentioned in the above post, the game has 5 races to choose from: Hume (Humans), Elvaan (Elves), Tarutaru (Smallfolk), Mithra (Cat Ladies) and Galka (Large framed sandfolk).
- Your racial choice technically affects your stats, of which you can find the information above. These stat differences might be a small struggle early on if you don't match your racial choice to your job choice, but in the long run it really does not matter. Gender has no effect on stats.
- When it comes to choosing a job, play what you think looks interesting! You'll be able to change to something else almost instantly once in game if what you pick doesn't jive. If you are looking for all-round versatility: Warrior and Red Mage will be your best choices, as almost every melee in the game can make use of a Warrior subjob and Red Mage is a powerful caster with the ability to solo just about anything.
- When it comes to picking your starting city, there are two things of note: You will get a small bonus of a free ring if you choose to match your racial choice with starting city, so Elvaan gains the ring starting in San D'Oria, Humes/Galka if they start in Bastok, and Tarutaru/Mithra if they start in Windurst. In terms of easiest city layout: San D'Oria will have the most straightforward layout for most people, Bastok the second most, and Windurst is considered to be the most maze-like.
- When it comes to server selection, you can choose any of them! I'm personally on Asura, which tends to be the most populated server of English-speaking users, and anyone is welcome to join me there if they wish.
- You'll notice the Gold World Pass option when creating a character - This is a code that someone who already plays the game can give you that will reward both of you extra loot based upon the number of days you play. The key piece of loot you get on day 1 of using a Gold World Pass: The Echad Ring which gives a 150% extra experience buff that lasts quite awhile and is available every 2 hours. Other bonuses are given at 40, 70, 100 and 365 days. If you make it to 40 days you'll get another exp bonus item, this time a hat.

More to come!

Getting In Game:

Last edited:

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Just went through this a few days ago by piecing together a few reddit posts. Thank you for the guide.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I should resub and see how Asura is doing. Played pretty constantly until Rhapsodies, then went fully into FFXIV.

Had a good LS for a while. Did a lot of server firsts.

Do you still need windower to run proper macros?

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Just went through this a few days ago by piecing together a few reddit posts. Thank you for the guide.

Please do let me know if you feel like anything major is missing! Having not been a new player since 2004, I'm sure some stuff has changed.

I wonder when I will finally forget my Playonline ID.

If you are like me, it's permanently burned into your brain.

Do you still need windower to run proper macros?

Define "proper macros" - You can now manage gear sets and no-gear blinking directly through the game, as well as a ton of other quality-of-life stuff they've added. Windower can technically be used for cheating, so it'll always have more options of course.

FedEx Latte

Oct 27, 2017
When I was around 15 I sold an EQ account I had leveled and bought an import PS2 + XI. It took nearly a month to get through the play online setup as a 15 year old with no japanese knowledge, but oh was it worth it. EQ being one of my fav games and XI was so similar I miss it dearly. I really would love a way to play it again through my XIV subscription with a more modern UI

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I will never forget being like 13 years old and spending my entire birthday on my PS2, hooked up to dial up internet, trying to learn how to get my account set up and working to finally play this. I still have the manual that came with the game with my original ID and password and all that stuff written in it, alongside a few notes from me begging for it to just finally work haha. In the grand scheme it wasn't that complicated and it's gotten simpler over the years. But at the time it sure was... something.

Anyway I'm glad to see so much FFXI love lately. I really should go back and do all the expansion stories I never did. Last time I played I made a new character for a fresh experience and it was a good time.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Define "proper macros" - You can now manage gear sets and no-gear blinking directly through the game, as well as a ton of other quality-of-life stuff they've added. Windower can technically be used for cheating, so it'll always have more options of course.

I just remember needing windower to change entire gears sets like 3 times in a few seconds while doing Summoner stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Windower gear swap can set more complex scenarios to switch gear automatically. The in-game gear sets will be enough for most people.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Once you have your PlayOnline ID, your Square-Enix account user name and password and an active character (subscription or free days), congrats! You've gone through hell and are now ready to log-in! In order to log-in, open PlayOnline, create a member name (this is what people who friend you will see), enter your PlayOnline ID, enter your PlayOnline Password (which is the same as your Square-Enix password!), feel free to skip the Member Password section, and finally, enter your Square-Enix ID into that section. If you are using an account with an authenticator active from XI or XIV, set "One Time Password" to "Use", otherwise leave it off.

At this point, go make a sandwich cause PlayOnline will update. If you are a new account, you may have to go through a few more screens but eventually, you'll reach a screen with menu items like Final Fantasy XI, Navigator, Extras and more on the left side. From here you'll be able to select "Final Fantasy XI" and as long as you have an active subscription you'll be able to hit "Play", which will start updating Fina Fantasy XI. Kick back, relax and let it do its thing and you can go read War & Peace or all of TVtropes. Once finished, you'll be able to select a little blue gem next to the "Final Fantasy XI" menu item in the initial PlayOnline menu and skip a whole bunch of these slow-ass screens.

Pretty sure the bolded is not true. When a friend of mine subbed to the game a few days ago, he was provided a PlayOnline password by default. He had to update it in the account system.

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Pretty sure the bolded is not true. When a friend of mine subbed to the game a few days ago, he was provided a PlayOnline password by default. He had to update it in the account system.

Ugh, why can't they keep this system simple. For me because I'm an older account that was merged into the Square-Enix account system it's my Square-Enix password.

Updated with every premutation of this password that I can think of.

Amazing First Timer Tips

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tips for new and returning players:
  • Do the Records of Eminence.These are your tutorial and guide throughout your Final Fantasy XI experience. They will show you how to unlock Trusts, find the right story and job quests, and provided a lot of experience points and easy access to gear. Especially take note of the Tutorial section as there is a lot to do in there at the start. You will not get far in this game without this.
    • Sparks obtained from completing Records of Eminence objectives can be used to obtain weapons and gear. This is extremely useful in the first 50 levels, as you will not have a lot of money starting out.
  • The Rhapsodies of Vana'diel should be prioritized as far as storylines go. It is designed to help you through a lot of the game's content, including finishing the various storylines as you go. You will unlock important benefits from this, so try to proceed as far as you can in this.
  • Trusts are your go-to for soloing in this game. You will receive a number of them from completing the Trust quests in each city, as well as completing the Records of Eminence objectives for new Trusts. From there, you can earn more from the monthly login campaigns.
  • You do not heal automatically in this game. Press H on your keyboard to start healing, or whatever you've assigned to the command on your controller. While healing, you will restore both HP and MP, but cannot perform any other actions.
    • Regen and Refresh buffs will let you restore HP and MP automatically. These are usually provided from food, and can be found in blue chests in the world among other sources.
  • Home Points will allow you to teleport to any other home points, providing you have accessed them at least once. Make sure to access every point you see. It is free to teleport within the same city, but costs gil outside of the city.
  • Survival Guides are similar to Home Points, but are found in the various fields and dungeons across the game. Accessing them at least once will allow you to teleport to them from any other Survival Guide. The cities also have a Survival Guide in it to teleport from.
  • The Fields of Valor (found in outside zones) and Grounds of Valor (found in dungeons) provide objectives you can complete for earning experience points, money, and other bonuses. Tabs earned from these can also be spent for various temporary buffs. If you anticipate that you will be leveling in a zone for awhile, seek these out for the rewards.
  • A Raising Earring can be obtained from the old tutorial NPCs. There is one located in your starting city. This item can be very useful when soloing in case you get in over your head.
  • Each city has guards that will bestow you with the Signet buff. Get in the habit of picking this up every time you leave the city, if you don't already have it. This allows you to participate in the Conquest Campaign (competition between the three nations) and obtain Conquest Points. This will also allow you to earn crystals, which are used in crafting. A stack of 12 crystals can also be sold on the Auction House for some small amounts of money early on.
    • You can only receive Signet from your respective nation's guards. You may find guards in the outdoor zones who can provide Signet to you as well, providing your nation controls the area.
  • A Warp Ring can be purchased for 5000 Conquest points. This is the best purchase you can make here, as equipping this and using it will allow you to return to your home point at any time. It has a 10 minute cooldown and never runs out of charges.
  • There are two ways to unlock Support Jobs (aka subjobs) at level 18. The first is the old method which I do not recommend, as it is time consuming. The second method is by completing the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel 1-3 quest "Set Free." This second method is far easier and can be accomplished solo.
  • Advanced Jobs can be unlocked at Level 30. There is a Records of Eminence quest for each Advanced Job telling you where to find it.
  • Every job has a special ability unlocked from the get-go called a One Hour Ability. You will always have access to your main job's one hour ability. Think of this like a Limit Break in other Final Fantasy games. Learn what your job's is, and use it when you're in risk of dying.
  • The difficulty of an enemy, and the XP received from it, is determined by the "Check" command when targeting an enemy.
    • "Too Weak to be Worthwhile" - You will receive no experience points for defeating it. Should be easily beaten without Trusts.
    • "Easy Prey" - You will receive the lowest amount of XP for defeating it. You should be able to solo these without Trusts.
    • "Decent Challenge" - You will recent a decent amount of experience points. You should be able to solo these without Trusts, but it could be difficult if you fight more than one and may be inefficient on your HP/MP.
    • "Even Match" - You will recent a fairly good amount of XP. You CAN solo these without Trusts, but it requires a lot of prep work to not die.
    • "Tough" / "Very Tough" - You will receive a large amount of XP. You will almost certainly need Trusts for these.
    • "Incredibly Tough" - You will receive the largest amount of XP possible. You will need Trusts for these. As this is the highest indicator possible, these enemies may be too difficult to fight even with a party of Trusts, or not be worth the amount of time required.
    • "Impossible to Gauge" - Not an indication of difficulty per se. It just indicate that you cannot tell how strong the enemy is. Reserved for a type of named monster called a Notorious Monster, as well as special event enemies.
  • Don't worry too much about having the most effective job/sub-job combination starting out. Try out everything or anything you like. You'll want to level most stuff if you get into endgame anyhow.
  • This game is very dated. Unfortunately this means you will need to configure some stuff as you play, both in FFXI Config Tool outside of the game, and in the game itself. Here are some recommendations:
    • The in game menu can be accessed by pressing the - key on your keyboard, or whatever button you assigned it to on your controller. There are two menus that can be swapped through by pressing left or right.
    • Your controller is not automatically configured. Make sure to open the FFXI Config Tool and set it in there. Both DirectInput controllers (such as the Dualshock 4 and Dualsense) and Xinput (Xbox) controllers are supported now. If you're using an Xinput controller, make sure to toggle that option on for proper support.
    • You will need to set the Aspect Ratio of the game manually. This can be done in game in Config > Misc 2.
      • Ultrawide users will need to rely on the 3rd party Windower and the Config Addon , as the game does not support 21:9 by default. Config will automatically set the aspect ratio for you.
    • You may need to adjust the UI scale depending on your resolution. The default scaling is very tiny. I use 1.5x myself, and those using 4K displays may wish to even go up to 2x. This setting can be changed in the FFXI Config.
    • It is very advisable to turn on the second chat window. You can do this in in the menu under Config > Windows. Select either Horizontal or Vertical based upon your preference.
  • The free trial for FFXI can be found here. Be aware that it is very lackluster due to a 14 day limit, strict limitations on what can be included, and NO EXPANSIONS at all. Not even Rise of the Zilart, which was included with all NA/EU copies of the game from the beginning. This will severely limit your ability to progress through the game. You may just be better off buying the collection for $30 itself, as it comes with a 30 day free trial anyhow.
    • Unlike Final Fantasy XIV, there is no distinction between the Steam and non-Steam versions of Final Fantasy XI. Once you have purchased the game and have access to the CD Keys, you are free to install the game independently of Steam and play that way if you like.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing about a week or so ago and I've been having fun following the quickstart guide, while still doing some stuff on my own when it sounds like fun. Haven't played it a ton yet though, cause I'm juggling between FFXIV and FFXI depending on which I'm in the mood for.

Got warrior to 21 or so, got my subjob license and switched to monk, unlocked mounts, got monk leveled to 18 now with warrior on my subclass instead for now, and I'll be unlocking Paladin, Dark Knight, and Runefencer once I get to 30. Pretty excited to see how each of them play. Like I know Dark Knight is DPS-focused here, but Runefencer apparently also uses a Greatsword and is a tank that uses magic, so I feel like I'll be right at home with it. And PLD sounds like an easy tanking choice with some healing in addition to tanking.

I've also already been using Windower with some of the QoL addons and plugins there, alongside with some other modpacks to make the game look alot better.

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I started playing about a week or so ago and I've been having fun following the quickstart guide, while still doing some stuff on my own when it sounds like fun. Haven't played it a ton yet though, cause I'm juggling between FFXIV and FFXI depending on which I'm in the mood for.

Got warrior to 21 or so, got my subjob license and switched to monk, unlocked mounts, got monk leveled to 18 now with warrior on my subclass instead for now, and I'll be unlocking Paladin, Dark Knight, and Runefencer once I get to 30. Pretty excited to see how each of them play. Like I know Dark Knight is DPS-focused here, but Runefencer apparently also uses a Greatsword and is a tank that uses magic, so I feel like I'll be right at home with it. And PLD sounds like an easy tanking choice with some healing in addition to tanking.

I've also already been using Windower with some of the QoL addons and plugins there, alongside with some other modpacks to make the game look alot better.

Fun fact: All three of your choices can use Great Swords and Great Sword Weaponskills. Rune Fencer And Dark Knight mainly use Great Swords (well and Scythes for DRK).

Paladin and Rune Fencer share a lot of common spells and abilities, the main difference between them is Paladin's ability to block and Rune Fencer's ability to attune to elements. They are both really fun though and are the game's main tanks, so good to have them both leveled!

Dark Knight is DPS focused as you said and actually does quite a bit of magic casting as well, such as draining HP, MP, or stats (such as STR, ACC, etc) from mobs with their spells.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Honestly, the fact that this game requires so much outside knowledge to even play is a complete turnoff. It sounds like a miserable, grindy experience.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Ugh, why can't they keep this system simple. For me because I'm an older account that was merged into the Square-Enix account system it's my Square-Enix password.

Updated with every premutation of this password that I can think of.
SE account systems are just as baffling now as 20 years ago

Been messing with a private server but also wanting to mess with retail too recently. But the damn hoops of getting up and running on SE side is just, I'm just too old for that now haha

Honestly, the fact that this game requires so much outside knowledge to even play is a complete turnoff. It sounds like a miserable, grindy experience.
Pretty much all MMOs back then haha. It's an acquired taste. But when I tried a few years ago and ran through the story expansions it was smooth sailing all the way to the end solo. The changes were made but the core "look it up and find a group" element still exists.

That said I'd never recommend this game for anyone who is just kinda curious. The initial hump for things to click is very… 2000s mmo.

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

The hardest part of playing the game is navigating and getting through the initial setup and SE's account system. Once you are in what some people would see as a miserable, grindy game other people would see as a relaxing game with ever-changing and never-ending content to play.

It's an acquired taste for some, but yea, getting through that initial sprint and just into the game can feel like a hurdle

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It is a very old-school style of experience, although I would say it's actually not very grindy anymore. Leveling is fast and easy. A lot of things can be figured out in game nowadays with the use of the Records of Eminence. It can be a fantastic solo experience if you just want the Final Fantasy experience and story. Plus, you'll feel awesome when you unlock your favorite job, get their iconic gear, or learn a new job ability or weapon skill.

The real miserable part of the experience is dealing with the inherent flaws that Square-Enix has left in. Almost all of which are related to the game being originally designed for the PS2 and never having been updated over the years. Not much anyone can do about that, sadly. :(

EDIT: Some various screenshots form my recent playthrough of the game.

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: All three of your choices can use Great Swords and Great Sword Weaponskills. Rune Fencer And Dark Knight mainly use Great Swords (well and Scythes for DRK).

Paladin and Rune Fencer share a lot of common spells and abilities, the main difference between them is Paladin's ability to block and Rune Fencer's ability to attune to elements. They are both really fun though and are the game's main tanks, so good to have them both leveled!

Dark Knight is DPS focused as you said and actually does quite a bit of magic casting as well, such as draining HP, MP, or stats (such as STR, ACC, etc) from mobs with their spells.
Huh, the magic casting is interesting to hear about FFXI's version of Dark Knight.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Made me want to try and find my play online id. The urge passed in half a nanosecond. Had a blast with it but damn it could be painfulllll

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Made me want to try and find my play online id. The urge passed in half a nanosecond. Had a blast with it but damn it could be painfulllll

If you associated it with a Square Enix account, you can find the ID on the FFXI page. Your PlayOnline password can also be updated there if you forgot it.

I'm tempted to see if I can find the account I had from PC launch. Someone said it might still be there after all these years, lol!

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Huh, the magic casting is interesting to hear about FFXI's version of Dark Knight.

Oh yea, the three jobs you've picked all do a healthy amount of spell casting. In fact, one of your main aggro tools as a Paladin/Rune Fencer is a spell called Flash, which casts a potent blind on a monster for about .2 seconds and causes a massive aggro spike.

Also, as a Paladin, it's your job to heal yourself a lot of the time with the help of external heals, as healing grants aggro and shield blocks prevent spell interruption.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yea, the three jobs you've picked all do a healthy amount of spell casting. In fact, one of your main aggro tools as a Paladin/Rune Fencer is a spell called Flash, which casts a potent blind on a monster for about .2 seconds and causes a massive aggro spike.

Also, as a Paladin, it's your job to heal yourself a lot of the time with the help of external heals, as healing grants aggro and shield blocks prevent spell interruption.

Older FFXIV players will be no stranger to THAT ability, haha.

It's amusing how so much of XIV came from XI originally.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
my friends were obsessed (some still are) over this and i've tried multiple times to get into it and i think i've only reached level 30. the grind was just too much.

lately though i've been enjoying slower/chill experiences so i kind of want to give this a shot again.

do you only need a sub? no longer need to buy licenses?

OP
OP
Minthara

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
my friends were obsessed (some still are) over this and i've tried multiple times to get into it and i think i've only reached level 30. the grind was just too much.

lately though i've been enjoying slower/chill experiences so i kind of want to give this a shot again.

Your "sub" is choosing which character you want to play, then paying extra if its more than one. If you are using your old account it should all be there when you log in to your Square Enix Account Management thing.

Licenses are if you don't own all the content in the game.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
my friends were obsessed (some still are) over this and i've tried multiple to get into it and i think i've only reached level 30. the grind was just too much.

Content IDs are still a thing, but you really only need one character if you just want the experience.

The game still has a $12.95 sub a month (game + content ID for your character), but the latest collection comes with 30 days free and all expansions. Everything is done through the Square-Enix account system now.

And yeah, if you're looking for a slower/chill experience, doesn't get much better than this. Find a zone with enemies around your level, summon some trusts, and just relax and chill as you slaughter stuff. The grind has been reduced significantly, and you can easily grind to level 30 on a single job within a few hours.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

Older FFXIV players will be no stranger to THAT ability, haha.

It's amusing how so much of XIV came from XI originally.
Yeah definitely know of Flash from early FFXIV days, lmao

construct

Jun 5, 2020
東京
sorry, by licenses i mean license keys for the base game, expansions etc. sounds like yes. maybe good info for the OP?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It took nearly a month to get through the play online setup as a 15 year old with no japanese knowledge
God, I could barely get through it in english back then...
Keep these threads coming!
I love reading about other's experiences with my all time favorite game.
I think about it to this day...
Still hoping for an eventual offline remake.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Remember to have your PlayOnline playlist on!

It's half the fun of FFXI's installation process! (Or was?)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mxRUKehtE

I only played it for the first month (really liked it just didn't stick with it), but damn, why is this so insanely nostalgic and memorable for me lol. I remember spending what felt like an entire day just trying to get the game up and running, with this constantly in the background, while I marveled at the awesome PC packaging.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
I've barely touched this game and it still makes me nostalgic for absolutely no reason. Something about it is just so beautiful. I really need to dive in. Is there an easy way to play on steamdeck? I'm about to recover an old Gmail account to see if I still have my licenses from 2010...

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
You know I'm gonna say it. PlayOnline was cool. It was the early 2000s, I was young, and it gave me internet stuff on my PS2.

I actually used my playonline email address for a long time! I had TONS of conversations with people via email, both irl friends and people I met via PlayOnline. That was just my go to email because I could use it without having to use the computer to login to AOL, since the computer was certainly more popular with other family members than my PS2 was!

And there were chat rooms too! Who remembers chat rooms? PlayOnline had chat rooms. Can't say I used them all the time but I'd pop in sometimes. I was younger than most people on there I think but I was used to that.

And on top of all that it had an online version of Tetra Master! Which... well, it wasn't Triple Triad, but it was... something!

It was closer to .hack stuff than any game has had since so it was objectively cool!

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
NOOOOOO it was tied to my ymail and I no longer have access to that phone. yahoo is of no help. Tried my old Gmail but alas. Dammit. Might buy another key.

Gradon

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is it even possible to recover my 360 account? 🤔 I don't remember any of my details except maybe my email. I'll have to look into it lol.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone needs help with the setup process (on Windows anyhow), I can help walk people through it. Feel free to ask if you get stuck on something.

sorry, by licenses i mean license keys for the base game, expansions etc. sounds like yes. maybe good info for the OP?

From seeing the process with friends, the Ultimate Collection is just one code you enter and it gives you everything. So there's no real issue with any license keys or anything for a new user.

Now I don't know if the Ultimate Collection can be used on an existing account or not. They do sell each expansion individually for $10 tho.

Is it even possible to recover my 360 account? 🤔 I don't remember any of my details except maybe my email. I'll have to look into it lol.

If you have the serial keys from that version, Square-Enix support may be able to recover it.

You know I'm gonna say it. PlayOnline was cool. It was the early 2000s, I was young, and it gave me internet stuff on my PS2.

I actually used my playonline email address for a long time! I had TONS of conversations with people via email, both irl friends and people I met via PlayOnline. That was just my go to email because I could use it without having to use the computer to login to AOL, since the computer was certainly more popular with other family members than my PS2 was!

And there were chat rooms too! Who remembers chat rooms? PlayOnline had chat rooms. Can't say I used them all the time but I'd pop in sometimes. I was younger than most people on there I think but I was used to that.

And on top of all that it had an online version of Tetra Master! Which... well, it wasn't Triple Triad, but it was... something!

It was closer to .hack stuff than any game has had since so it was objectively cool!

Yeah, PlayOnline is this really fascinating relic. Something way ahead of it's time in ambition. If you only wanted to log into Final fantasy XI, it was a giant pain in the ass. But the other features it had were surprisingly futuristic. Square seems to have realized that a centralized network for the PS2 was necessary for a good online experience, and wanted to try and be that network before Sony made their own. Didn't work out, of course. But still fascinating.