• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Designed to play alongside The Matrix Reloaded with a parallel storyline and exclusive filmed content, Enter The Matrix was also something akin to a modern multi-platform release, with Shiny Entertainment delivering PS2, OG Xbox, GameCube, and PC ports. And it's pretty clear that while the console versions were pretty good, something went horribly, horribly wrong with the PC version...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
iLXSRMV.png

lol

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Playing it today on a modern PC is a good time. Runs and looks fine. Even if the mouse controls are a bit iffy. Feels like an undercooked Max Payne game.

Oct 27, 2017
I played it on Xbox a few months after release. I remember hearing the horror stories about how buggy and unfinished the game was.

With those lowered expectations, I didn't think the game was that bad. I haven't played it in nearly 20 years, maybe my opinion would be different today.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I remember losing friends who mentioned to me that this was a good game, out of sheer disgust. I haven't talked to them again to this day.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
lol'd hard at wheels. but man is it awkward/frustrating watching john try to help alex navigate

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I played it on Xbox a few months after release. I remember hearing the horror stories about how buggy and unfinished the game was.

With those lowered expectations, I didn't think the game was that bad. I haven't played it in nearly 20 years, maybe my opinion would be different today.

That was roughly my experience, too. It wasn't anything great, but I remember thinking it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people made it out to be

Oct 29, 2017
Hilarious video. I lost it when Alex's car got turned around and stuck on geometry... during the scripted car chase sequence... How is that even possible?

Jul 7, 2021
You never heard of it???=O

Now that I think about it I have vague recollections but I never played it or saw people play it or even saw footage of it. This is literally the first time I see or think about the game since it was released I guess? I think I recall seeing an add for it back in the day. When this game came out I wasn't doing much gaming, so it totally skipped me by.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it I have vague recollections but I never played it or saw people play it or even saw footage of it. This is literally the first time I see or think about the game since it was released I guess? I think I recall seeing an add for it back in the day. When this game came out I wasn't doing much gaming, so it totally skipped me by.
Back then this game was pretty well known and hyped up even for adding footage exclusive to the game. The game was known for it's technical problems but it was crazy that it managed to do 720p and 1080i on the OG Xbox.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
this was hilarious. I'd love to see more videos like this. The off the cuff just experiencing the game and glitches was so funny.

i remember getting the gc game and thinking games would never look better. Oof.

Oct 25, 2017
Still a shame that the concept of a 3rd person game with a somewhat indepth melee combat + shooting system is super rare.

Just imagine uncharted with maybe a bit more melee options would be neat.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I have very fond memories of this game despite how janky it was. Thankfully I was playing it on console, as that PC version looks rough haha.

I never got around to playing Path of Neo...

We are definitely in need of a new modern Matrix game.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted that the tires are not inherently like that in PC ver, Alex is running in low LOD mode there because the normal mode causes a lot of framedrops.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
yeah that's rough, I assume pcsx2 or doplhin is the way to go if you wanna play this in 2022

I think when this game launched I had a Radeon 8500 and the game was completely broken on that so I gave up, I think

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
When people say terrible PC port stuff like this is what I think of. Make me smile when people freak out when a PC port doesn't have unlocked frame rates or something today. We have come so far.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
1080i would have looked better for us back then because we used to have a 480p/1080i rear projection set where 480p would exhibit some really visible ghosting but 1080i would appear extremely clean in comparison.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Huh, I played this on the pc when it came out, but I don't remember any of the graphics problems they are talking about at all. It wasn't a very good game though, that I do remember.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
When people say terrible PC port stuff like this is what I think of. Make me smile when people freak out when a PC port doesn't have unlocked frame rates or something today. We have come so far.
Me too, half the time I see horrible PC port impressions these days I come away thinking "oh, it works and performs fine? That's all I need".

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea the PC version of this game was so busted. I played on GameCube and it was barely functional there anyway so I guess it shouldn't surprise me but this is extra hilarious

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I beat this game like a half a dozen times and have no memory of those climbing sections. Dude moves like DK in King of Swing!

Oct 26, 2017
I hadn't seen it in motion before and... even for 2003, those animations look hilariously bad. The running animation and the fights, and the way the camera swings wildly around, holy shit. I know this was nearly 20 years ago and I probably have some rose-tinted memories of how they actually looked, but surely games like Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid 2 must have been so much better.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't seen it in motion before and... even for 2003, those animations look hilariously bad. The running animation and the fights, and the way the camera swings wildly around, holy shit. I know this was nearly 20 years ago and I probably have some rose-tinted memories of how they actually looked, but surely games like Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid 2 must have been so much better.
Even back then we all knew it looked bad. The running animation drove me nuts and I hardly every noticed that sort of thing at the time.

Nov 8, 2017
but surely games like Prince of Persia, Beyond Good & Evil, Splinter Cell or Metal Gear Solid 2 must have been so much better.

They did look better but Enter The Matrix was closer to what the average game looked like back then. Games that had top tier animations for the 2001-2004 period all looked much better, but there were tons and tons of games that just looked awful on that front.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
One of the only things I remembered about this game on the Xbox was how the Black button was used for shooting, so incredibly stupid, I don't know what they were thinking.

The other thing I remember is a level being so dark I could barely play it in my crappy old CRT. I think it was in the sewers or something.

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
Ok, I thought I was going crazy for a second. Having played the PC version last year, both stories in fact, I didn't have any of the square tires or other model issues they were showing. But it being caused by one setting in particular tanking performance on age appropriate hardware would explain it.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I played this on the pc when it came out, but I don't remember any of the graphics problems they are talking about at all. It wasn't a very good game though, that I do remember.
That's because this isn't how the PC version usually looks. Alex explained he lowered the LoDs because on his period accurate PC he was getting framerate drops into the teens with normal LoDs.