• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
336.jpg

Eldorado Gate was a jRPG saga by Capcom released bimonthly on Dreamcast, exclusively in Japan, from 2000 and 2001. It's really a shame this series was never localized because of many reasons:
  • Yoshitaka Amano was the main artist and he created all main 12 characters plus all enemies (which appears, in-game, through his artworks, while characters on the field appear through super-deformed renditions). Amano is not a conventional artist and this shows in his characters---the main protagonist of the first volume is a shirtless old guy with spiky green hair.
  • Noboru Sugimura was involved in the project. People might not know him (he died 13 years ago, RIP) but he wrote Resident Evil 2 story (that's when his full-time effort with Capcom started) and followed the production of the Onimusha series. Yoshiki Okamoto was involved too (the project started in 1996)---Okamoto worked for Capcom for years and later he founded Game Republic and created Monster Strike.
  • It has plenty of high-quality hand-drawn backgrounds---the game is not open-world but it does have a lot of areas to explore: towns, castles and houses and then dungeons.
  • Battle system is similar to Dragon Quest. It's turn-based and first-person. Magic works similarly to Final Fantasy VIII (they are items that can be consumed but also combined). Also, there are not character levels but strength comes from magic skills and weapons.
31024-ingame-Eldorado-Gate-Vol.-2.png
  • Plots of each entry are self-contained but of course there are plenty of connections between entries. Indeed, save files can be loaded into new entries to receive additional contents. The idea is that in each entry there's a group of hero and all groups are looking for the same promised land.
  • Music is also gorgeous.

Unfortunately, the game sold poorly in Japan as well. It seems that Capcom was planning to release many more entries---each release is composed of chapters and the idea was to release 24 chapters across an unknown number of releases. Eventually, Capcom released only 18 chapters across 7 entries.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Had honestly never heard of this, but I love weird Amano game projects (like Kartia). How long is each entry?

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The background art doesn't look good and the whole thing appears to have an incohesive, cheap feel to it. I really tried to find quality Dreamcast JRPGs, but these don't look so hot.

OP
OP
sfortunato

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Had honestly never heard of this, but I love weird Amano game projects (like Kartia). How long is each entry?

I have never heard of Kartia! ;) I will check it out.

Each entry is not very long, in fact. 2-3 hours each but on Youtube you can find videos of 1-hour play-throughs, at least of the first two entries.

On the bright side, each entry was costing only 2800 yen 3-2.5 times less than a traditional release.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only finished the first two, and lost interest during (before?) the third one...
Does it ever become interesting? I don't remember much.... I think one of the things that turned me off was that the writing was full of promises "this will make sense later" and "the payoff will be huge... in 10 chapters or so" but there were not many things in-between to hold the attention until then.
Both art styles were beautiful (Amano and the colorful overworld with cute sprites) but they were at odds with each other, and jumping from one to the other all the time was jarring.
I also remember the battle and progression system being quite flat and boring (but then, I'm not a fan of DQ-style battles nor of consumable items).

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
  • Plots of each entry are self-contained but of course there are plenty of connections between entries. Indeed, save files can be loaded into new entries to receive additional contents. The idea is that in each entry there's a group of hero and all groups are looking for the same promised land.

Unfortunately, the game sold poorly in Japan as well. It seems that Capcom was planning to release many more entries---each release is composed of chapters and the idea was to release 24 chapters across an unknown number of releases. Eventually, Capcom released only 18 chapters across 7 entries.

How is the ending handled? Do they all find it at the end of the individual games, is it handled in the final game or did it never happen because of the poor sales?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finally! Someone else who has heard of Kartia! I loved that game.
I only know of the game OP posted due to how easy it was to boot imported games on the DC and my friend would regularly buy said games.

I used to see Kartia all the time at this mom and pop shop i bought games at and thought about buying it a few times but never pulled the trigger. I remember the art looked cool, had no idea it was Amano.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The idea of how they released each title was what I found the most interesting about this series. Nowadays it'd just be episodic and such. But for that time frame, physical releases that back to back is pretty crazy.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It was a pretty rad experiment at that time---the first episodic game?

Well there was shining force 3 on the Saturn, which was released on three scenarios, and the snes sattelaview stuff.

And for pc you'd probably be looking back to the eighties with all the expansion scenarios, depending on how you define episodic gaming.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading about these when they came out and was pretty miffed they didn't come out here.

OP
OP
sfortunato

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The idea of how they released each title was what I found the most interesting about this series. Nowadays it'd just be episodic and such. But for that time frame, physical releases that back to back is pretty crazy.

Well there was shining force 3 on the Saturn, which was released on three scenarios, and the snes sattelaview stuff.

And for pc you'd probably be looking back to the eighties with all the expansion scenarios, depending on how you define episodic gaming.

I remember there were rumors for the first PS2 Tomb Raider game to be episodic. Sure, on PC it was more common but on consoles it was a pretty new concept.