• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Because Square themselves are. This is like a Type-0 type of remaster where it has tweaked gameplay and much better graphics over the original game.
csTkedE.gif

Honestly, the reason they're not calling this a remake is because of FF7 "remake".

It is comical though to see Chrono Cross "remaster" and this Crisis Core "remaster" in the same year.

chadboban

May 27, 2020
Because Square themselves are. This is like a Type-0 type of remaster where it has tweaked gameplay and much better graphics over the original game.
csTkedE.gif

Uhhh, since when? That's always been called a remake. Including by Sony, because it is.

But isn't the bolded pretty much what Demon's Souls PS5 is? Gameplay tweaks and MUCH better graphics? Or is there a certain threshold the graphics have to pass where it's then considered a remake instead of a remaster even tho it's pretty much the same game? Not trying to start shit btw, just a legitimate question.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But isn't the bolded pretty much what Demon's Souls PS5 is? Gameplay tweaks and MUCH better graphics? Or is there a certain threshold the graphics have to pass where it's then considered a remake instead of a remaster even tho it's pretty much the same game? Not trying to start shit btw, just a legitimate question.
Far too much of titles like Demon's Souls is rebuilt to be considered a remaster because it is much more complicated than remastering and a ton of things get replaced entirely to eventually warrant "rebuilt from the ground up." It is absolutely not just about differences in graphical fidelity.

This sort of thing is the reason why this will most likely still feel like it was originally a PSP game in spite of the enhancements, like Type 0's remaster.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
It much more likely has to do with the fact that the workflow/expense to get these games out the door like this doesn't actually warrant the term remake. It'd be like calling Kingdom Hearts HD a remake.

Excuse me ?

Kingdom Hearts HD was basically 1:1 safe for couple of textures fix.

This is not 1:1 whatsoever, most of the assets were remade, gameplay was remade, new voices, potentially new scenes.

This is in line with the Nier Replicant "remakster".

You can't have KH HD and Chrono Cross HD considered the same as this and Nier.

There's :

- Remasters that just uses existing assets and polish them minimally, barely touch the game at all beyond QoL stuff

- Remaksters that bring back an old game and significantly improves visuals / gameplay while relying on the existing structure etc... (this is where I put SoTC, Demon's Souls, Nier and Crisis Core), I would still call these "remakes" though because of how low the bar for "remasters" is

- Full remake that starts from scratch and doesn't hesitate to deviate a bit, closer to a re-imagining (RE2, RE1, not FF7R as this is a sequel =) )

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
the only negative is the voice acting

God Rick Gomez is so good as Zack and I hate the fact that they recast him. same with George Newbern as Sephiroth

edit: someone on twitter did a comparison video between the voice actors and Newbern is so good

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
That's a significant upgrade, makes me excited for the game.
I hope the updated gameplay is good, I'm not expecting FF7Remake good, but should be way better than the original version. Hope they also rework those horrible sidequests, which made sense for a portable game back then, but they were really bad.

lion9t

Unshakable Resolve
Aug 4, 2021
I remember playing it on the PSP and didn't realize it looked that bad until seeing these side by sides.

Quite the upgrade.
When I saw the trailer in live .. I was thinking .. meh .. not too much as I remember .. Than I saw these pictures side by side .. holy wow ...

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
csTkedE.gif

This kind of makes me wish it would launch with a Halo 1/2 style graphics switch that lets you jump between old and new visuals on the fly

The new graphics look great but I like how the original game looks as well, and I always feel like there is something "off" when they keep everything but replace the models

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, until the side by side comparison I didn't realize that the buster sword in the final CGI scene was changed for the Remake model. I don't think they re-rendered the scene, so changing only the sword must've been a pain in the ass

The part that surprised me most:

They've returned/un-redesigned/de-designed(?) the Buster Sword in the CG cutscene.

Now we need an advent children remaster with the Buster Sword changed as well lol

chadboban

May 27, 2020
Far too much of titles like Demon's Souls is rebuilt to be considered a remaster because it is much more complicated than remastering and a ton of things get replaced entirely to eventually warrant "rebuilt from the ground up." It is absolutely not just about differences in graphical fidelity.

This sort of thing is the reason why this will most likely still feel like it was originally a PSP game in spite of the enhancements, like Type 0's remaster.

I dunno, it almost feels like remaster is a dirty word, which I'm guessing is due to the games labeled remasters that are just a resolution bump and some new textures.

Like the Resident Evil remakes are undoubtedly exactly that, remakes. They're built from the ground up complete reimagining's of the originals.

But I feel like there's a middle ground. Like I've heard people say "remakester" (dumb word I know but it feels appropriate lol) to describe games like Xenoblade Definitive Edition or Shadow of the Colossus PS4. Games that are essentially the same as their originals but are pretty much made up in a new engine with entirely brand new assets, lighting, models etc along with gameplay tweaks, enhancements, QOL improvements and maybe some portions entirely redone.

It feels like the main reason Demon's Souls gets that remake title is because the graphics leap is just that massive. So much so that's it's still one of the best looking games made to date. Because while playing much smoother, it does at heart still feel and is structured like it's PS3 counterpart.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Lol, until the side by side comparison I didn't realize that the buster sword in the final CGI scene was changed for the Remake model. I don't think they re-rendered the scene, so changing only the sword must've been a pain in the ass

I feel like they must have re-rendered it, it looks too good to just be AI-upscaled. That's not crazy or anything, they just would've needed to not throw out the original assets.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
the only negative is the voice acting

God Rick Gomez is so good as Zack and I hate the fact that they recast him. same with George Newbern as Sephiroth

edit: someone on twitter did a comparison video between the voice actors and Newbern is so good

I don't really get the reason for recasting it in the first place. I watched the Japanese trailer and it's all the same lines and delivery from 15 years ago. If there's been any JP recasting/re-recording, it's completely invisible to me.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I don't really get the reason for recasting it in the first place. I watched the Japanese trailer and it's all the same lines and delivery from 15 years ago. If there's been any JP recasting/re-recording, it's completely invisible to me.
it is weird since square is super strict on role reprisals usually. Balthier had a two minute cameo in FF tactics War of the Lions and they still got Gideon Emery back

and look at how the dissidia games brought back almost every voice actor (the one exception is Gabranth's voice actor) which is insane since those games have characters from every FF game

so I'm baffled as to why they did the switch for the remake. it's not like new players are gonna go "ugh, old voice actors!"

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Never played the original game, so it is interesting to see the comparison to how the game was updated for this release.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, it almost feels like remaster is a dirty word, which I'm guessing is due to the games labeled remasters that are just a resolution bump and some new textures.

Like the Resident Evil remakes are undoubtedly exactly that, remakes. They're built from the ground up complete reimagining's of the originals.

But I feel like there's a middle ground. Like I've heard people say "remakester" (dumb word I know but it feels appropriate lol) to describe games like Xenoblade Definitive Edition or Shadow of the Colossus PS4. Games that are essentially the same as their originals but are pretty much made up in a new engine with entirely brand new assets, lighting, models etc along with gameplay tweaks, enhancements, QOL improvements and maybe some portions entirely redone.

It feels like the main reason Demon's Souls gets that remake title is because the graphics leap is just that massive. So much so that's it's still one of the best looking games made to date. Because while playing much smoother, it does at heart still feel and is structured like it's PS3 counterpart.
Yeah, I find remakster super dumb and awkward but I think it's more appropriate for these games too, there only needs to be a better word for it lmao. But if we only "have" remaster vs remake I'd definitely consider SOTC, CC, etc, as remake but of lower scales vs remasters where it's more like TLOZ:TP HD and the likes

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Yeah when watching the trailer yesterday I was having to squint at my TV lol

"I.....don't remember it looking like this......was it always like this? Is my brain broken?"

Completely forgot the PS2-ish KH style that the original had going on that I can clearly see with the comparison screenshots. The new stuff looks good and I can't wait!

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Beautiful, goddamn.

Crisis Core also had a wonderful soundtrack; looking forward to hearing a new take on them tracks.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
Is this game worth playing if I mind most "Nomura-isms" cringey?

I'd mainly want to for more time in the FFVII world, not the extra characters.

GTVision

Oct 28, 2017
csTkedE.gif

Uhhh, since when? That's always been called a remake. Including by Sony, because it is.
As is this game. A remaster is mostly limited to increased resolution and frame rate. The graphics in Reunion are completely redone, I would call it a remake, no matter what Square calls it themselves.

Dec 2, 2020
It looks great and I'm excited to play it. It's the same engine as FF7R, but not quite as polished.

Oh I just noticed it's being released on Switch too. Probably explains it.

Being on Switch doesn't mean they can't use much more detailed character models, more detailed meshes, higher precision lighting and higher quality textures on the other platforms. Their engine will be incredibly scalable.

I'd bet money the Switch version runs at dynamic 720p when docked at an unstable 30fps while it will run at 900p/30fps on PS4/XBO, 1440p/30fps on Pro/X and dynamic 4k/60fps on PS5/SX.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me ?

Kingdom Hearts HD was basically 1:1 safe for couple of textures fix.

This is not 1:1 whatsoever, most of the assets were remade, gameplay was remade, new voices, potentially new scenes.
Actually KH HD was a lot more complicated than that. A lot of KH HD actually to be rebuilt because Square didn't preserve a lot of the assets. Which also included new voice work, gameplay changes, new scenes, etc.

This is in line with the Nier Replicant "remakster".

You can't have KH HD and Chrono Cross HD considered the same as this and Nier.

There's :

- Remasters that just uses existing assets and polish them minimally, barely touch the game at all beyond QoL stuff

- Remaksters that bring back an old game and significantly improves visuals / gameplay while relying on the existing structure etc... (this is where I put SoTC, Demon's Souls, Nier and Crisis Core), I would still call these "remakes" though because of how low the bar for "remasters" is

- Full remake that starts from scratch and doesn't hesitate to deviate a bit, closer to a re-imagining (RE2, RE1, not FF7R as this is a sequel =) )
As an aside we are absolutely not making the term "remakster" a thing. And also Nier was not pitched as just a remaster, nor a remake. It was pitched as an upgraded version of the game because it didn't align with their internal definition of either term. Meanwhile here they refer to it as a "full remaster" of the game.

www.square-enix-games.com

Introducing CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII- REUNION | Square Enix Blog

Here's everything you need to know about this critically-acclaimed prequel to FINAL FANTASY VII, coming to PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch!

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they must have re-rendered it, it looks too good to just be AI-upscaled. That's not crazy or anything, they just would've needed to not throw out the original assets.

This is Square we are talking about. Although I've started FFIX on the switch a few days ago and was shocked by how good the CGI scenes look, so maybe they kept a few things around...

Advent Children Complete-er re-rendered with Remake character designs in HDR 3D for PSVR2. Must-buy.

Oof, I would unironically get a PSVR2 for more Advent Children. I love that shit to bits

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Actually KH HD was a lot more complicated than that. A lot of KH HD actually to be rebuilt because Square didn't preserve a lot of the assets. Which also included new voice work, gameplay changes, new scenes, etc.

As an aside we are absolutely not making the term "remakster" a thing. And also Nier was not pitched as just a remaster, nor a remake. It was pitched as an upgraded version of the game because it didn't align with their internal definition of either term. Meanwhile here they refer to it as a "full remaster" of the game.

Here's everything you need to know about this critically-acclaimed prequel to FINAL FANTASY VII, coming to PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Switch!

But this is not a remaster. This is literally the same "version up" as Nier Replicant.

And I don't care that had to rebuild Kingdom Hearts, it's still the same exact game outside of very minor tweaks and QoL. The voice work was minimal too.
They had nothing that fundamentally changed the game. Nier and CC do.

Oct 25, 2017

But then there's games like the Pixel Remasters, which SE has Remaster in the literal title, but those are unambiguously remakes by the normal definition of them being 100% recodes with almost entirely new assets.

It really isn't simple and there is no universal definition that works. What is more of a remake? 99% new game code and 80% new assets, or 99% new assets and 80% new game code?

RS1, SF1, and LoM are "traditional" remasters that push the limits, while Reunion, Pixel Remaster, and likely Reborn are all well past what people envision when they think of Remasters. It is complicated and I won't fault people for calling a game with almost entirely new assets and new gameplay to be a remake rather than a remaster.

Last edited:

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game worth playing if I mind most "Nomura-isms" cringey?

I'd mainly want to for more time in the FFVII world, not the extra characters.
Define Nomura-isms. The character designs hew fairly close to FF7's Shinra aesthetic, so it's not as OTT zips, belts and buckles as KH tends to be.

Oct 25, 2017
This is Square we are talking about. Although I've started FFIX on the switch a few days ago and was shocked by how good the CGI scenes look, so maybe they kept a few things around...

Oof, I would unironically get a PSVR2 for more Advent Children. I love that shit to bits

SE lost a ton of game code from the 90s but it looks like they did have the (outsourced) CG scenes stores elsewhere. It seems like they had better retention standards by the late 00s so they have CC CGI raw files AND the original game code to gut into something this good.

FF9R will probably be similar to this, except with actual new game code because they lost the original.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But this is not a remaster. This is literally the same "version up" as Nier Replicant.

And I don't care that had to rebuild Kingdom Hearts, it's still the same exact game outside of very minor tweaks and QoL. The voice work was minimal too.
They had nothing that fundamentally changed the game. Nier and CC do.
Honestly at this point I think people should maybe temper their expectations in regards to how changed it is vs. the original experience as no one has actually played it beyond the people literally saying "hey we're calling it X instead of Y." Especially as it pertains to the workflow involved, the amount of changes made etc. they've even said that you don't need to play the remake of VII to play this game meaning it's really up in the air whether or not it will also account for changes or whatever narrative they're going with in that trilogy. Frankly, imo, it'd be great if it didn't and worked as a standalone experience. If only because it'd be incredibly awkward considering the continued exclusivity of FFVIIR.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at this point I think people should maybe temper their expectations in regards to how changed it is vs. the original experience as no one has actually played it beyond the people literally saying "hey we're calling it X instead of Y." Especially as it pertains to the workflow involved, the amount of changes made etc. they've even said that you don't need to play the remake of VII to play this game meaning it's really up in the air whether or not it will also account for changes or whatever narrative they're going with in that trilogy. Frankly, imo, it'd be great if it didn't and worked as a standalone experience.

I am saying Nier did exactly that :

- new engine using existing structure of the original

- whole new visuals

- whole new gameplay (still using core concept)

- new recordings

- secret bonus content (it would be the first time Nomura doesn't add bonus content in a project of this scale, and recent Square "remasters/remakes" have all had bonus content, of various length)

- same exact story outside of bonus content

This game seems to do exactly that. It's also rebuilt from the ground up (new engine, literally).

They can not call this a remake because of FF7 REMAKE which would have too many implications. And they are not bothered calling it some convoluted name like Yoko Taro did.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It much more likely has to do with the fact that the workflow/expense to get these games out the door like this doesn't actually warrant the term remake. It'd be like calling Kingdom Hearts HD a remake.
I think it's much more likely that it's not called a remake because of branding considerations, as the other poster implied.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
They can just used the assets already made for NT!

Those would definitely cut down on the workload. There would be a chunk more to make though. Plus, they'd have to cut them down for Switch, especially since I heard some of the NT character models had the Strangers of Paradise problem where they just chucked the unoptimised models right into the game.

I honestly would love to see lots of 3D movies for PSVR2. Do a streaming service and bundle it with PS+ Premium.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Characters that are incredibly moody and mostly defined by edgy dialogue that sounds like it was written by a 15 year old.
This game is 2007 post Advent Children era Square Enix at some of it's worst so take that as you will. As someone who absolutely loved how goofy FFVII, as well as the remake, this was such a disappointing and overly melodramatic game even in spite of the protag's goofy personality.

Genesis fucking sucks.

They can not call this a remake because of FF7 REMAKE which would have too many implications.
Calling a project that's advertised as completely standalone and not related to the remake, (despite the asset reuse), with the plot twist being that it IS related to the remake, would be absolutely facepalm worthy.