• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever owned or played on a Sega Saturn?

• Yes, I was there Day 1

Votes: 61 14.7%
  • Yes, I got it during its commercial lifespan

Votes: 135 32.5%
  • Yes, I got one after it was discontinued

Votes: 96 23.1%
  • Never owned one , but I knew a friend who did

Votes: 42 10.1%
  • Never owned one, I only played them at store kiosks

Votes: 17 4.1%
  • Never played one, but I've emulated some of the games, which of course I legally own

Votes: 17 4.1%
  • I've never even seen a Saturn or played any games for it

Votes: 47 11.3%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
95aaefe6-e62f-11e5-881d-a61f691acda3.jpg
saturn01.jpg

Yes, that's right, it's been a quarter of a century since the Saturn launched in Japan on November 22, 1994 and kicked off the 5th console generation in earnest (the Playstation's 25th is coming up on December 3.) The 3DO. Jaguar, and CD32 launched before this, yes, but even compared to the Saturn, they were commercial duds.

The Saturn's launch was highly successful in Japan thanks to its killer app, Virtua Fighter, which was exceptionally popular in Japan--as in, made the equivalent of billions of dollars in revenue. In contrast, the Saturn's launch verywhere else in 1995 was an infamous debacle, particularly the "surprise launch" that Sega announced onstage at the first E3 that May. In hindsight, the Saturn is regarded as one of the greatest self-immolations in video game history, an utter disaster on every level from concept to execution. Nevertheless, it was still their most successful platform in Japan, eventually accruing a library of over 1000 games and outselling the N64 there.

By the way, it's also the 25th anniversary of the 32X's American launch. Yes, Sega launched two completely different pieces of hardware on opposite sides of the Pacific on the same day, a cock-up that most people involved have attributed to poor communication between Sega of Japan and Sega of America.

Here's all five of the Saturn's Japanese launch games:

Virtua Fighter
8665_front.jpg

Myst
689_front.jpg

Mahjong Gokuu Tenjiku
295962_front.jpg

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
TAMA
308470_front.jpg

Wan Chai Connection

308820_front.jpg

holy fuck I'm getting old.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
In case you're wondering, the first big games after launch were Clockwork Knight, which arrived in December, and Panzr Dragoon, which hit stores in March '95. Both were launch games for the US.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Had an import Japan Saturn on launch, and a US one too.

Edit: Both were launch consoles too...the US one was the original one with the crappy pad and the same buttons on the console like in Japan , not the revised round ones which came after the revision.

Last edited:

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of WanChai Connection before.

Man I still want to get a Saturn sometime.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get mine with a bunch of games until maybe a few years ago. I love it, although I probably don't play it as much as it deserves to be played. I usually just play Outrun and some Panzer Dragoon.

I'm afraid sooner or later (more likely sooner) Saga will be completely out of reach in terms of price.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and in case you're wondering, the last Saturn game in Japan was Final Fighter Revenge in March 2000, while the last game in the US was Magic Knight Rayearth in December 1998.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Our US Saturn was made in the Philippines. Pretty cool for a filipino like me, don't think I see that often.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fight Revenge was the last game? You sure about that? For some reason I'm remembering Street Fighter Zero 3 being one of the last games released...

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I have 3 wonderful memories of the Saturn after having bought one just as it was about dead. Let's say 98/99.

Sega Rally - such a good game and a wonderfully high quality port.

Radiant Silvergun - my favored shmup ever. I imported this one and it was so worth it. So happy this can be bought and played on Xbox to this day.

Metal Slug - One of my favorite 2D action games ever. This was another import from japan and it did not disappoint.

I walked into an Electronic's Boutique at Crossroads Mall in Oklahoma City, OK, and saw the Saturn on the shelf when it stealth launched.

Thanks in part to Die Hard Game Fan's crazy hype, I bought one along with Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, and Panzer Dragoon.

For all the Saturn's problems and disappointments, playing VF at home and experiencing Panzer Dragoon for the first time was absolutely one of the best video game weeks I've ever had.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alpha 3 was released for Saturn in August 1999.
That can't be true. I'm too perfect to be wrong lol

I was stupid obsessed with the Saturn. I had a 95% complete us collection, and a pretty decent amount of Japanese games.

Then I needed money, and I wasn't playing Saturn games anymore. So I dumped it all except the Japanese stuff.

Is there a way to get a good signal to an LCD with a Saturn?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I wish I could've gotten one but, at least from my perception, it was basically inexistent in my country.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I was all in on the N64 and the PS1 that generation. The Saturn was an afterthought but I remember really liked Virtua Cop and fighting games on my friends import Saturn.

In retrospect I really regret not getting a Saturn and its games on clearance. It had some great games that I missed out on.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
Bought one with my birthday money in 95. I remember owning Sega Rally Championship before the console lol.
I have a lot of good memories with it.. it was also my first music CD player lol.
loved Clockwork Knight and Nights

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Didn't get my Saturn until Christmas 96 when it was being deep discounted to $200 and 3 free games, but man it was incredible. I played a ton of VF 2, Daytona USA and Virtua Cop 2 that morning. Saturn was also my first console of that gen, my cousin had gotten a Playstation the year earlier and I was super jealous so just having my own console that could match his Playstation felt good haha.

My favorite games on the system would go on to be Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Nights and Panzer Dragoon

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the young me growing up in Staten Island before return policies, 11 or 12, I'd hop on a bus to the Staten Island mall and return games to Toys R Us or Babbages over a whole summer on one purchase, with a this was the wrong game, hah. Young hustler. I remember going to Toys R Us with the Saturn when they started including the 3 free games and saying I just got it right before they included the games, and the manager gave me the disk no questions. Simpler times for sure. I loved my Saturn, D, Panzer Dragoonm Blazing Dragons ( One of my all time faves), Street Fighter The Movie The Game, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Clockwork Knight, Gex, Baku Baku on the demo disc (I need to play this again somehow), The Demo disc I played the hell out of, Ghen, Cyber Speedway, Scud, Robotica, Myst, Off World Interceptor, Nights, Xmas Nights, Traded most of my gamboy collection for Nights and that controller at Funco land, so many great games and memories. I'd say of any console of my youth, this is probably the one I will forever hold fondest. I need to get one modded with one of those Hyperkin HDMI converters. Happy Birthday Saturn!

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Fantastic system for 2D, but even before Japanese launch in 1994, SEGA was was in a panic, second guessing themselves, and some with SoJ wanted to scrap the Saturn in favor of a Lockheed Martin designed game box.

Even after Saturn's launch, Sega wanted to replace (if not upgrade) the Saturn with Saturn2
with LMC Real3D and a Hitachi manufactured PowerPC host CPU.

Next Generation #11 November 1995

XYQkK6r.jpg

EDGE had the same article in their Oct. 95 issue.

r0wJM14.jpg

Last edited:

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
My favorite system, or rather, the system I have the most nostalgic fondness for.

In my mind, games like Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force, Dark Savior, and Panzer Dragoon Saga hold up. Still have copies of those, plus some JP-only games that I've never actually played but always meant to get around to someday, like Lunar Magic School and Wachenroder.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Still my favorite game system. With my favorite fighting games of all time. Arcade perfect. When I think of the Saturn that's the first thing that usually comes to my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't buy my Saturn at US release (I was unemployed at the time), but it was the same year. I bought it in November, if memory serves.
I got work in October, my first check went to Lunar II for Sega CD and Chrono Trigger, and then I saved up for a Saturn (I split between two checks).
I was lucky that by then, there was a place near by to rent Saturn games from.

Dec 2, 2017
I bought one in Japan with like 80 kusoge for next to nothing about 12 years ago. I really wound up liking the system. I can't regret choosing PS1 over it back in the day, Square and Konami were bringing it hard. But if I'd known how up my alley so much of the library was I would have made room for both.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I wanted the Saturn for Christmas in 1995, but my parents got me the PlayStation instead since it was cheaper. It ended up being a good thing since I just played the Saturn at my friend's house until they dropped the price and included 3 games, which was enough to convince them to buy me one. Unfortunately I didn't get more than 10 or so games for it in total since barely any stores near my city carried the Saturn at all, and the selection they had was pretty poor.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Always wanted a Saturn and had all the intentions of buying but PlayStation came along and worked it's magic. Still have a lot of nostalgia for the Saturn. For the 4 in 1 with the ram cart back in the day to play imports.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Still have games on my list to collect that are way out my usual price range that are on the Saturn.

And Japanese Saturn jewel cases > ugly large US cases that are always cracked and broken and usually has ugly box art.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I got to rent one from Blockbuster. Panzer, Bug and Astal.

Bug's stupid 2.5d amazed me. Panzer Dragoon's water and lasers amazed me. Astal's FMV and levels amazed me. Best system I never owned.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My dad bought me an N64 instead of the Saturn when I really wanted one. Had to live the Saturn life vicariously through a friend, but ultimately don't regret the fate that was handed to me with the N64. Still wish I'd gotten the Saturn when it was still in its prime, though. I did get Dreamcast at launch, though, the first console I ever got on its launch day!

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I remember playing one in a blockbuster and was unimpressed. Also wasn't interested in any of the games, so I got a playstation, and then an n64 a few years later. I eventually did get a saturn around 7 years ago, and mostly play japanese games on it. Even though I like it, my opinion is its still the far worst console of the 3 that generation.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Never had one, don't think I even ever played one, but I remember I had a friend in elementary school who had the Genesis, Sega CD, Saturn, Game Gear, and I think the 32X too, all set up basically on top of each other in front of his tv and I thought it was the coolest fucking thing.

sam huge

Oct 27, 2017
Wild. spent so many hours with my neighbor playing guardian heroes. that was the big one I remember. Also fond memories of the racing game that was kind of like wipeout. I was too young to have got a hold of many games, but bless blockbuster video. def remember renting Bug!

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Bought this Xmas 95 and I held onto it about a year or two? I do remember trading it in for a PS1 with Gameday 97 and Suikoden 1.

Being this being a time where importing was PRICEY and I never had much interest in learning Japanese, pickings stateside were MUCH lower than the robust JP offerings. Even, no, especially to a Sega Kid this thing felt almost like a 180 to everything the Genesis was, and it generally was Id later learn.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I got my first part-time job in high school to save up money to buy the Saturn. Got it with Panzer Dragoon, Daytona, and Virtua Fighter (which came packed in). Those first few months were magical until the PS1 arrived and stole everybody's thunder, lol. Also, I had planned to get the Saturn Day 1, but then the infamous stealth launch happened. I was pissed! I was a huge Sega fanboy back then (got a 32X near launch too), I thought for sure that they were going to crush Nintendo because they still went with cartridges. Once I got my hands on the PS1, though, I knew the Saturn was doomed, lol.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still have my day one launch system and 36 games. What an incredible machine the Saturn is. I have copies of Christmas Nights and the free Virtua Fighter Remix. I have many Working Designs titles and all of the Panzer Series. The Saturn had incredible red book audio CD quality sound.

Aug 12, 2019
I own a Saturn and a couple of games. Would love to collect for it, but the games are just too hard to come by and pricey for me to really justify it. As it stands, it'll just be a nice collection piece that I turn on to play Virtua Fighter 2 once a year haha.

Mzo

Nov 30, 2017
That can't be true. I'm too perfect to be wrong lol

I was stupid obsessed with the Saturn. I had a 95% complete us collection, and a pretty decent amount of Japanese games.

Then I needed money, and I wasn't playing Saturn games anymore. So I dumped it all except the Japanese stuff.

Is there a way to get a good signal to an LCD with a Saturn?
Yes, Retrotink and S-video.

hersheyfan