You saw it first on R2R... Red lithophyllon

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharing a new find, I believe this one is extremely uncommon in the hobby, personally I never seen a red one. Could this be the first appearance of a Red lithophyllon?

4DF29A69-0270-4FE4-B3DB-4D8C88AC2F43.jpeg

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ive seen many pavona labelled as lithophyllon as they can be very similar in looks, you can tell the difference as pavona is encrusting coral, lithophyllon is a plating coral. The picture above is of a pavona

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen many pavona labelled as lithophyllon as they can be very similar in looks, you can tell the difference as pavona is encrusting coral, lithophyllon is a plating coral. The picture above is of a pavona

It's just the way the picture was taken. If you take the photo above and enlarge/sharpen you can see the typical stout and long tentacles with small bulbous tips and the multi-mouths that Lithophyton has.

This was my red 'Ironman' Lithophyllon:

12g RR Ironman_071815.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just the way the picture was taken. If you take the photo above and enlarge/sharpen you can see the typical stout and long tentacles with small bulbous tips and the multi-mouths that Lithophyton has.

Sorry mate, but that’s not lithophyllon also if you do some research you’ll see that lithophyllon doesn’t have tentacles surrounding the multiple mouths, the ones in the picture shared above is also fairly uncommon just not lithophyllon.
True lithophyllon has the tentacles spread all over similar to a fugia.

Last edited:

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

that's Leptastrea most likely not Lithophyllon IMO.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's Leptastrea most likely not Lithophyllon IMO.

I have a Leptastrea (and have seen many in person and in pictures) and it's very different in appearance. Every mouth, and there are a multitude of them in a colony, has a ring of tentacles and it was at one time included in the family Faviiidae, while Lithophyllon has tentacles spread out everywhere, including around some of the few irregularly placed mouths that are typically present.

This is a typical Lithophyllon (Lithophyllon undulatum) from 'Corals of the World', tentacles not extended. Note the irregular and relatively widely spaced corallites:

Lithophyllon.jpg

And a typical Leptastrea (Leptastrea pruinosa), again from 'Corals of the World', with tentacles withdrawn. Note the rather regular and closely packed corallites:

Leptastrea pruinosa.jpg

Anyway, I had to move the 'Ironman' on as it spread so fast (even right over the sand bed) that it was threatening neighbors in my small nano. Very much a chalice type behavior.

Just for fun, some aquarium strains of Lithophyllon:

stock-3641.jpg
Kiwi_Litho_Coral.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back