• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nostalgic about old software. Post pics of your favourites :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grug

Generic DOS game sound configuration utility.

"HMI Module Alpha Humana on approach to Space Station Mercury".

300472d1388960374t-virtual-ms-dos-vbox-trying-get-sound-up-running-capture.jpg

Anyone ever know someone that actually had a Gravis Ultrasound?

StayDead

Before Roller Coaster Tycoon there was Theme Park on the Windows 95 and it was great.

Then, like modern EA they ruined the franchise with Theme Park World, although in the year 2000 my Dad upgraded my PC so I could play it, because at that point I didn't realise how pants it was to the Roller Coaster Tycoon franchise.

This was probably my first ever game that I owned myself. Until then I was playing on my Dad's Amiga CD32 and Game Gear, but in 95 he got me my own PC which I'll be eternally greatful for as it got me into not only computers, but games as well. I spent HOURS a day playing Lemmings and I was terrible at it, but god damn it was good.

With Lemmings, came Lemmings paintball which I enjoyed too despite it being a weird spinoff game. I'd really like to find a copy that plays on newer machines so I can actually finish it now I'm older.

F!ReW!Re

I was a kid in the 80's so just played games. (Btw I love this thread and the people that reminded me of Kidpix!)
(I skipped Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Hexen, Heretic and some of the other super well known ones (although PoP and RA fall under that as well :p))

Star goose:
th

Star%20Goose_6.png

(thought it was called space goose tbh)

Raptor: Call of Shadows:
rap1.jpg

For me this is stil the best shoot em up ever made!

Carmageddon:
carmageddon525.jpg

Aladdin:
aladdin_DOS.gif

Blood:
Blood-classic-game.jpg

No idea what this was called again (Simon the sorcerer or something?):
dos-games1.gif

Jill of the jungle:
th

Needs no caption:
command-and-conquer-red-alert.jpg

PoP:
2610392161_03428bd018.jpg

Gods (this game was fucking awesome and impossible):
gods-bitmap-brothers.jpg

Blake stone: Aliens of gold (sorry tiny screenshot):
th

(tbh lot of 90's stuff in here but it's all awesome)

Lepy

Neo Member
skype.jpg

It's been so long since I've seen this and I used to look at it pretty much every day. I guess it's not really that old but it brings me back.

dejay

Banned
Oh man, this thread made me think of X-Copy Pro on Amiga (Not proud, but very nostalgic)

KEFTaE6.png

For some reason that got me thinking about the various music tracker programs I used to muck around with.

X2nj2b0.png

It was just so hypnotic watching modules scrolling and there was just so much music to explore, both on shareware disks and BBS.

Now I've downloaded a tracker program and I'm trolling through an Amiga module site that has, reportedly, over 136,000 modules . The second module I downloaded has the familiar synth, panflute and cheesy drum samples I remember.

Yrael

I'm pretty sure this games assets were literally made in MSPaint.

OhL64en.jpg

VyLFmPj.jpg

Encarta 2001

encarta_2001_16.jpg

It was so ahead of its time.
I still remember spending hours and hours on its interactive articles as a child

Commander Keen (first one)
VoAyyK3.png

Screensavers are software, right?

maze.PNG

Oh my god, ALL of these.

Plus, Dangerous Creatures:

10-8424ba0e0532d8cda0b2b84cadc13ae0-Microsoft%20Dangerous%20Creatures%20-%20Splash.png

Lion King activity centre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJWCopbBWo

Nanosaur:

Glider Pro:

gliderpic1_crop380.jpg

Jazz Jackrabbit 2:

jazz-jackrabbit-2-ss1.gif

woopWOOP

Another one still using Winamp2. Starts up immediately, hardly uses memory for useless bullshit, one of the first things I reinstall after formatting.
Windows 3D Movie Maker!

hqdefault.jpg

pc-49329-21357120872.jpg
Oh hell yeah. Me and a friend made a crapton of movies, some for over an hour long.
Also a bunch of 'RPG' movies with number battles and all that, before we found the RPG Maker 2000 translation and made crap projects with that :p
Norton Commander
gZPyfDC.png
Oh, now this is nostalgic. My aunt's PC had this, but I never knew what kind of software this was supposed to be. Digging through their files and finding some random DOS games...
.. like this one! :D So awesome (and scary, that sound when a dog gets you is horrible).

Our first fancy PC had a Packard Bell Navigator. Not as easy to use as regular windows, but walking around the house and finding weird steampunk shit was awesome.

StayDead

This isn't really a nostalgia trip for me as I could never work out what the hell it was supposed to be, but I owned 1 and 2 of this (game?) due to PC's in the UK back in the 90s being bundled with like 50 game disks.

YWzrcS5.jpg

Does anyone actually have a clue if this was good or not, because I could never tell.

Altazor

Not a PC one, but still:

F3halH9.png

Montezuma's Revenge for the Atari. One of the earliest games I remember playing, and one of the few times my dad sat down with me to actually play a game. Quality father-son bonding time (and I was like 3 years old at the time).

As for PC software...

Castle of the Winds (I remember trying to play this one when we got our first PC back in the early 90s. I had no fucking idea how to play it, I barely knew english. Still had a bit of fun by randomly doing stuff)

Microsoft Scandisk (I'm sure the "automatically fix every error it finds" option ended up deleting a crucial part of my Windows 3.11 install. After running it after a fatal crash, I was unable to enter Windows - actually, DOS told me the "Win" command was invalid! :O)

MusicMatch Jukebox (I started using this before the famous logo/UI redesign that everybody remembers -the silver/blue one- and I kinda preferred it to Winamp for a while. I remember seeing this skin, but I don't remember if this was the default or not.)
beqV7Jd.gif

MSN Explorer (I remember using this one when I went to a cyber-café (remember those?) to connect to the internet, back when we only had Dial-Up at home and was incredibly expensive. Good times.)

Titus the Fox (fucking shitty game, to be honest. Then again, hindsight is 20/20 and I liked it back then. Cool music too, even if kinda repetitive and grating after a while.)

Kanyon

So much awesome nostalgia in this thread, takes me back to my high school days in the late 90s.

Anyone remember MiRC? Was pretty much my go to program back in the day.

Pickman

Mplay.jpg

MPlayer.com where I first discovered online gaming as a kid.

caveman-ugh-lympics-ss1.png

Caveman Ughlympics, a terrible game I was terrible at but still played a lot as a kid.

CTLance

Does anyone actually have a clue if this was good or not, because I could never tell.
It was pretty amazing from a tech perspective, at the very least.

Was it a good franchise? Uh. Maybe. Really depends on what you wanted to get out of the games. It's a pretty cerebral experience. Gameplay itself is only serviceable, but the complex game mechanics do have a payoff if you can appreciate this kinda thing. The real joy lies in breeding and schooling your Norns - and that can become pretty involved. Kinda like a weird Sims spinoff, I guess? The AI can become quite impressive, all things considered. So... It really depends.

As a younger guy I hated the game, mostly for the creepy graphics. Losing my egg disk to a faulty drive didn't help, and disappointedly watching all my remaining Norns die to disease because they wouldn't stop playing with Gretchins was the last straw. Took more than a decade until I could appreciate it for what it was.

It's pretty cheap nowadays, and PCs easily have enough power to finally elevate these games above the sideshows they were back then. So just plunk it in and see if you can dig it.

vio

m2hk8UV.png

Anyone recognizes this? Had a lot fun with it as a kid.
Just found out now about this.

RcTaEAB.jpg

mindblown.gif

CTLance

I feel like a not-so-stealth marketer for GOG right now.

Go buy your old games at GOG.com(TM)! Relive the nostalgia without having to fiddle with settings and compatibility! They're like steam, only for old games, and minus the DRM! No need for an online connection! Just buy a game and download an offline installer! If you want to, you can download a completely optional client software to check for updates and chat with friends! Frequent juicy sales! Cheap! Best value! Call now for our free plushie offer! :D

*plushie actually not free.
[img.]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/ST_Battle_Chess.png[/img]

I miss you Battle Chess.
Why are you missing it? Just spend six bucks and play it on your PC right now.

Falk

that puzzling face
IFS3pOw.png

Still gets usage til this day

Holy shit, YES, Specifically v6.02. I've lost the actual registration, so I'm perpetually stuck in the trial version. Can't actually find a way to register it anymore either.

Starts up in 2 seconds, has all the tools I need. Photoshop was and is 100% bloatware in comparison for my purposes.

My contribution to the thread:

H7u707A.gif

GetRight! From the good old days where 5MB files took 30 minutes to download and you had to check if the file server supported resuming.

FUCK! I was just about to post Dr. Halo III myself!

111227484ECF541B228779

I was so sure I was the only person who would ever remember it.

It was our second paint program on our second PC. (The one we ended up keeping) PC Paint was on our first and much better but this is the one I got to know better. It was always weird that it was a black canvas with white drawing by default but it worked. I read the manual for that front to back and drew birthday cakes all the time.

Damn, I think I remember this. I think it came with the first mouse my family ever bought. I remember it from the fill patterns specifically.

duckroll

Some oldies but goodies:

Qmodem -

790Iaev.gif

File Commander -

pMpfQRY.gif

Catz -

Kwc3GWo.jpg

Also, I can't get the memory of the stupid Norton SafeGuard shield icon on the taskbar out of my head now. Can't find a pic though! Lol.

Mik2121

Nothing can beat the MMD3 skin for WinAmp.

ws3.jpg

When I was very young we had a black and white Macintosh but honestly most of my good memories come from 1999 onwards with stuff like All Seeing Eye or GameSpy searching for rooms to play CS, UT or Q3.

I think most people has posted all the popular stuff though, so there's not much to post besides games :/

Orbis

I can't find any pictures of them but I miss those 500 in one DOS game CDs that you'd get at office max
I miss those, they were basically my only source of DOS/Windows games early on. A side effect is that I only ever had the shareware versions of things like Duke Nukem 2 and Jazz Jackrabbit. Never did play all of the 'episodes' in the full versions.

Also I remember these educational software CDs made by Dorling Kindersley.

My favourite was The Way Things Work 2, basically explained how machines work and basic scientific principles:
images

61CFRKE7TBL.jpg

Lots of the science was explained using cartoons featuring mammoths:
hqdefault.jpg

Also I had a dinosaur one set in a somewhat dark and creepy museum (and an astronomy one, couldn't find pictures):
$T2eC16JHJFsFFS!EHvHTBRv+VEgZ3Q~~60_35.JPG

There was a section of the game where you were lowered down below ground and hunted for dinosaur bones. If you collected all the bones and assembled them the dinosaur could then be found roaming the museum randomly. Scary as hell when you're like 7 years old.
dk_dinosaur_hunter_scrn1.jpg

dk_dinosaur_hunter_scrn2.jpg

Had both of these on Windows 95.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
For me it was the Last Crusade game. This was one of the first game I played on my first PC (an old XT computer with monochrome yellow/black monitor back in 1990). I learned a LOT of my basic english from that game lol.

95867-Indiana_Jones_and_the_Last_Crusade_(Floppy_DOS_VGA)-4.jpg

Also... ACDSee

ACDSee_preview.gif

Those folder names doe..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom