Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread.
Nov 2, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,111 of 13,846
Two things to note:

1> In other threads, the power tubes have been mixed for years, with practitioners stating you 'get' the best attributes of both tubes.

2> The NOS FDD20 develops super DEEP bass and retains it's treble magic. But it takes at least 150 hours. plus, of use, before the bass matures. You'll likely hear it starting to deepen at 50, then more by 100, more again by 150 and 'endless cavern' at around 200 hours.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,112 of 13,846
Before anyone here thinks that the FDD20/ECC31 is now the de facto standard, let me assure you that

ECC31 / 5998
C3G / 5998

are superb in their own rights. Actually of the 2, I find that C3G/5998 has the better definition and clarity plus solid bass. It is not surprising that they love the C3G on the WA5 on the Woo thread.

So listen to the above 2 pairs with confidence.

I saw this posted by someone and it's a special C3G to 6SN7 adapters made by Woo for WA5 and I thought they look gorgeous.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,113 of 13,846
  Before anyone here thinks that the FDD20/ECC31 is now the de facto standard, let me assure you that

ECC31 / 5998
C3G / 5998

are superb in their own rights. Actually of the 2, I find that C3G/5998 has the better definition and clarity plus solid bass. It is not surprising that they love the C3G on the WA5 on the Woo thread.

I saw this posted by someone and it's a special C3G to 6SN7 adapters made by Woo for WA5 and I thought they look gorgeous.

I'm currently running C3Gs on a LD MK IV SE, but have been thinking about getting an Elise. I would be a lot more tempted if I could find a way to use my C3Gs on the Elise. I'm not big into tube rolling, but from all I read the Elise is a major step up from the MK IV.

Do you know of any place I can get C3G to 6SN7 adapters? I couldn't find them on the Woo site. Do you have any experience with the MK IV or an opinion as to how much better the Elise is?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,114 of 13,846

ECC31 / 5998
C3G / 5998

Are Woo selling these? I thought they weren't commercially available.
Just sent Woo a message, inquiring about these. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #1,115 of 13,846
So, I just got a response from Jack from Woo. 

Hi Mathias,  
We have just developed an adapter specifically to work with a C3g tube. The C3g replaces the 6SN7. This is probably one of the best driver tubes for 300B. It opens up the sound significantly, and I am very thrilled about the results. These are very rare, and we can offer only to some of the product owners. The tubes are the Simens NOS C3g (with metal casing removed). The price is $440 + shipping for a pair of tubes with adapters, PayPal to orders@wooaudio.com. I feel that all product owners deserve to use them on the WA5/WA5LE or 234 Mono. Let me know if you are interested in getting a pair.

NOTE: our C3g adapters are to use with our amplifiers ONLY. There are electrical components inside the adapters designed solely for this amp. Do NOT use them in other amps and do NOT buy products on eBay.

Thanks,
Jack

First off, how can they possible ask 440$ for two adapters and two C3G's? That is just insane. 

Secondly, I don't understand how the adapters will only work with Woo amps. I get that they want people to buy their amps also, and due to this will only sell to Woo owners, but saying they won't work with other amps? That almost have to be a lie. Anyway, take this with a grain of salt, as I don't know a lot about how adapters work.

Thirdly, why may I not buy products on Ebay?

Their response was pretty damn quick though, have to give them that. 

Edit: Okay, Jack just replied to me. He offered to make a C3g adapter for me, if I had the schematics for the Elise. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #1,117 of 13,846

I'm currently running C3Gs on a LD MK IV SE, but have been thinking about getting an Elise. I would be a lot more tempted if I could find a way to use my C3Gs on the Elise. I'm not big into tube rolling, but from all I read the Elise is a major step up from the MK IV.

Do you know of any place I can get C3G to 6SN7 adapters? I couldn't find them on the Woo site. Do you have any experience with the MK IV or an opinion as to how much better the Elise is?

Thanks in advance.

Currently there are no commercially available adapters to use C3G in Elise. Only Hypnos1 makes them but he has said he is busy now and cannot make them. You never know later if he will obliged. He is a most helpful gentleman despite being attacked by a rogue for his adapters which I have a pair and works beautifully. Remember he is not in this for financial gains. It's strictly as a service to Elise users. I firmly believe he has a right to the cost of materials and workmanship in making those adapters besides his time.

There are a LOT of Elise users here who were once LD MK4 owners and they can attest that Elise is WAY better. To put it in an interesting way, their LD MK 4 is now consigned to the attic with Elise arrival. Elise is that GOOD. There is no comparison between the 2. Likewise there is no comparison between my previous Darkvoice 336se and Elise. Another user declare that Elise is better than his Crack with Speedball.

See you on board shortly and welcome....
beerchug.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,120 of 13,846
  So, I just got a response from Jack from Woo. 

First off, how can they possible ask 440$ for two adapters and two C3G's? That is just insane. 

Secondly, I don't understand how the adapters will only work with Woo amps. I get that they want people to buy their amps also, and due to this will only sell to Woo owners, but saying they won't work with other amps? That almost have to be a lie. Anyway, take this with a grain of salt, as I don't know a lot about how adapters work.

Thirdly, why may I not buy products on Ebay?

Their response was pretty damn quick though, have to give them that. 

Edit: Okay, Jack just replied to me. He offered to make a C3g adapter for me, if I had the schematics for the Elise. 

Suuup I only found out about the Woo adapters when I visit the Woo Audio unite thread. This guy posted it after getting it from Jack and was told that the adapters will only work properly if inserted left and right as marked. To switch them could damage the amps. You can be assured Jack knows what he's doing and also his products are outstanding, expensive no doubt.

Have a read of that thread and you'll know some users have bought 3rd party adapters and they don't work. Obviously without knowing the workings of a Woo WA5 (which is their near top end tube amp) it would be impossible to create a working adapter for C3G.

Now I'm not here to promote or question the Woo's adapters. All I am pointing out is they look nice and classy !!! I'm not even questioning why it cost so much. That is for individual buyers to decide.

Ok now we have a really interesting situation. Jack is offering to make the C3G adapters for Elise which I've no doubt he will produce one as classy as the picture I posted. Unfortunately Feliks Audio will not release their schematics which is proprietary and I understand why the secrecy. With blatant cloning these days infringing on copyrights, any amp designer and makers will want to safeguard their precious designs.
However maybe if we approach Lukasz, Feliks Audio themselves may have a solution for us !!!

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #1,121 of 13,846

Suuup I only found out about the Woo adapters when I visit the Woo Audio unite thread. This guy posted it after getting it from Jack and was told that the adapters will only work properly if inserted left and right as marked. To switch them could damage the amps. You can be assured Jack knows what he's doing and also his products are outstanding, expensive no doubt.

Have a read of that thread and you'll know some users have bought 3rd party adapters and they don't work. Obviously without knowing the workings of a Woo WA5 (which is their near top end tube amp) it would be impossible to create a working adapter for C3G.

Now I'm not here to promote or question the Woo's adapters. All I am pointing out is they look nice and classy !!! I'm not even questioning why it cost so much. That is for individual buyers to decide.

Ok now we have a really interesting situation. Jack is offering to make the C3G adapters for Elise which I've no doubt he will produce one as classy as the picture I posted. Unfortunately Feliks Audio will not realise their schematics which is proprietary and I understand why the secrecy. With blatant cloning these days infringing on copyrights, any amp designer and makers will want to safeguard their precious designs.
However maybe if we approach Lukasz, Feliks Audio themselves may have a solution for us !!!

Already done. I sent Lukasz a message about an hour ago. 
Edit: Did I beat you to that comment with 1 second? It says so on my screen atleast. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #1,122 of 13,846
Good man Suuup. I think that is the right thing to do seeing Feliks Audio are the designer and maker of Elise.

Now to find out what tubes have arrived.
gs1000.gif
gs1000.gif
gs1000.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,124 of 13,846
  3 boxes of tubes just arrived at my doorsteps.
biggrin.gif

Now to reply to my buddy Suuup...

Wow , UT!!!!

You are on the roll. How is your sleep? I have Elise on 8 hrs a day since the day I got her. Even though I do have couple of PC fans running all time i worry that I am playing too long at a time. We do have many spare tubes (backup). Do we need spare Elise? haha 
gs1000.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,125 of 13,846
Yes CL. As the sayings goes , 'When the going gets hot, the hot gets hotter' !!! My version at least.

Just a sec. I'm in too much excitement with what I see of the new arrival tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back