Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Full list of Doom clones/similar games?

Remember to have seen this on a old a PC Gamer issue about this thing, do you know this?

is a Doom / wolf3D clone (see the title picture at the start of the video) and it's a mini-game from a Windows OS parody with the Muppets characters, i've seen only a screenshot of this in that magazine and now i've found a video with just the title as i remembered it (Kitchens of Doom)...

I have also recorded a game project thing called IDKFA that i found browsing archive.org games (but now looks disappeared for some reason...), recorded a video too but still need to upload it...

Quasar said:

Radix: Beyond the Void looked just enough like a Doom engine game that it fooled several people into hounding me enough to load up its EXE in IDA to make sure it wasn't based on Doom (it's not). I later read an interesting story from one of the developers at one point about how it was inspired by Doom and Descent though, and how they did the all the development in-house.

Heh, no doubt -- I did some similar investigation a while back and found some neat stuff. In particular, map vertices are pegged on a 32x32 grid to get around the need for BSP rendering. But yeah, very doom-like in overall feel, and it does have a bitchin' soundtrack.

I tried out the editor for the game (RadCad) too, but it's DEU-era primitive -- gotta create the lines, then manually create the "sector" references per-line, etc... That and it's probably a bit difficult to get running on most systems these days since it's a Win16 executable. Worked at the time, I'm sure, though. ;)

Also chatted with one of the devs a bit -- cool dude. I haven't lost the desire to try and make a custom map for it... it's just not a priority given that I have eight zillion other projects. :P

Expert, a Japanese FPS for the playstation (1), made by a company named Nihon Bussan.

Simple walls, 2D enemies, 2D weapons, in game story... and static 3D car models.

Just thought of another one. In the early days of the Mac (mid-late 80s) there was a first person adventure game called The Colony. It's so old that it was developed before there were tools available for the Mac.

Sorry for bumping, I just discovered this thread. A while ago I was considering making a list of 2.5D FPS games, but haven't found the time for that yet.

Anyway, first off I'd like to point out a few things in the OP:

• Cybermage: Darklight Awakening is for some reason listed twice, as a DOS and a non-DOS title. It's certainly a DOS game, not sure if a Windows port existed.
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces is mentioned twice in the list: by its full title and simply as Dark Forces.
  • According to MobyGames, Faceball 2000 does not have a DOS release.
  • Realms of the Haunting is a DOS game.
  • Marathon, Marathon 2 and Infinity are listed as DOS games, while actually none of them were released on this platform. Of the entire trilogy, only Marathon 2 had an IBM PC compatible release, and it's a Win32 title. Of course, now all three games are cross-platform thanks to the open source Aleph One project, but I don't think it's available for DOS either.
For some reason, Mac as a platform is completely absent from the list, although at least one other title could be added to the list - Pathways Into Darkness, also by Bungie.

You might also want to add to the list (in no particular order):Some of these have already been mentioned but not included on the list for whatever reason. There's also a pretty large number of games created with Pie in the Sky Software's 3D Game Creation System, and several games that use the somewhat obscure ACKNEX engine, such as Skaphander: Der Auftrag.

With the generally large number of titles, I think it would be a good idea to reorganize the list along the lines Noiser suggested. It seems reasonable to group the games based on the engine (or its versions) they run on. That way, you'll immediately get a more or less well-defined basis for the classification: there are Wolfenstein 3-D engine games, Doom engine games and the Build engine games, and the rest can be grouped based on similarities of the engines used to these three. Additional groupings may be provided by LucasArts Jedi engine; the aforementioned Pie in the Sky and ACKNEX engines; Bethesda's XnGine and their earlier engine used in Arena and The Terminator: Rampage; the Descent engine (which is also used in the Descent to Undermountain first-person RPG); and the Marathon 2 engine.

This classification will also relieve you of the need to single out RPG type games based on vague criteria (Amulets & Armor for example is very different from Elder Scrolls games, and Brithright isn't even an RPG proper - it's a strategy game with RPG elements).

MrFlibble said:

With the generally large number of titles, I think it would be a good idea to reorganize the list along the lines Noiser suggested. It seems reasonable to group the games based on the engine (or its versions) they run on.

Something like this?

Marathon Engine:

Damage Incorporated
Marathon
Marathon 2: Durandal
Marathon Infinity
Prime Target
ZPC

Build Engine:

Blood
Corridor 8: Galactic Wars (Just an alpha version leaked)
Duke Nukem 3D
Extreme PaintBrawl
Fate (Just a demo was released)
Ken-Build (Ken Silvermans testgame)
Liquidator
Nam/Napalm
Powerslave/Exhumed
Redneck Rampage
Redneck Deer Huntin'
Rock'n'Shaolin: Legend of the Seven Paladins
Shadow Warrior
William Shatner's TekWar
Wichaven
Witchaven II: Blood Vengeance
WWII GI
Quest For Al-Qa'eda: The Hunt for Bin Laden
Quest For Hussein
Plunder & Pillage

Wolfenstein 3D:

Wolfenstein 3-D
Spear of Destiny
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Blake Stone: Planet Strike!
Corridor 7: Alien Invasion
Operation Body Count
Rise of the Triad: Dark War
Super Noah's Ark 3D

Jedi Engine:

Dark Forces
Outlaws

XnGine:

An Elder Scrolls Legend - Battlespire
The Elder Scrolls Adventures - Redguard
The Elder Scrolls: Chapter II - Daggerfall
The Terminator: Future Shock
The Terminator: Skynet
XCar: Experimental Racing

SlaveDriver:

Powerslave/Exhumed/西暦1999 ファラオの復活 (PSX & Saturn)
Duke Nukem 3D (Saturn)
Quake (Saturn)

Southpaw:

Doom II: Hell on Earth (Game Boy Advance)
Duke Nukem Advance (Game Boy Advance)
Ice Nine (Game Boy Advance)

Legends of Valour
http://hol.abime.net/866
It's your typical fantasy RPG... There's also a DOS version.

Hired Guns
http://hol.abime.net/715
This one's much closer to Doom, even though the engine only scrolls one step or map square at a time. But it's real time action. Amiga version is best, don't even bother with the DOS port.
It supports multiplayer too, on same computer (like console games of that era).

cybdmn said:

Southpaw:

Doom II: Hell on Earth (Game Boy Advance)
Duke Nukem Advance (Game Boy Advance)
Ice Nine (Game Boy Advance)

I wonder if 007 Nightfire for the GBA uses the Southpaw engine.

Avoozl said:

I wonder if 007 Nightfire for the GBA uses the Southpaw engine.

I didn't think so. Nightfire was made by JV Games, Inc. while the other three titles was made by Torus Games Pty., Ltd.

I will update the first post with that highly organized list soon, thanks cybdmn!

walter confalonieri said:

is a Doom / wolf3D clone (see the title picture at the start of the video) and it's a mini-game from a Windows OS parody with the Muppets characters, i've seen only a screenshot of this in that magazine and now i've found a video with just the title as i remembered it (Kitchens of Doom)...

I think I still have that somewhere, or my brother does. That Muppets game was good fun, it captured the spirit of the show well.

hex11 said:

Did you say (in another thread) this was your first doom-like? What a game!

Jon said:

Did you say (in another thread) this was your first doom-like? What a game!

Yeah, played it when it came out, sometime in middle of 1993. Used to do 4-player games, everyone huddled around the Amiga 1200. Lots of fun was had, especially when grenades or sentry guns went off and chaos ensued. Also that combat robot with the mounted minigun...
You can of course play alone, but it's not as intense.

MrFlibble said:

• Marathon, Marathon 2 and Infinity are listed as DOS games, while actually none of them were released on this platform. Of the entire trilogy, only Marathon 2 had an IBM PC compatible release, and it's a Win32 title. Of course, now all three games are cross-platform thanks to the open source Aleph One project, but I don't think it's available for DOS either.[/list]For some reason, Mac as a platform is completely absent from the list, although at least one other title could be added to the list - Pathways Into Darkness, also by Bungie.

• I actually said all this earlier in the thread, but nobody listened. :|

TheMightyHeracross said:

You're late because I already say that one last year. :P
    https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1421030

About Japanese FPS on PSX, like Expert(mentioned by FireFish)...there are some more...

Hybrid (this one is EU version, but still the same game like original Japanese version, only in-game texts were translated to English...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCJx8Q0Qt3M

Crime Crackers 1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TcwR2xnhp4
    http://www.gamingsanctuary.com/CrimeCrackers1994.html

Crime Crackers 2
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktfmk4clnM
    http://www.gamingsanctuary.com/CrimeCrackers2.html

(I'm sure there are more and more but I just lazy to find them. As even they're FP Shooters, I still hates about play them on controller. :P)

I have Gloom for the Amiga CD32. It Gas an horrible screen resolution. Orherwise   it looks decent.

Guys I'm looking for two retro FPS games.

The only thing I remember for one is an item, maybe armor shard. Looks like the DOOM one but instead of an "Spartan-Like" helmet it looked a bit like Robocop, with some blue and red lights flashing in the eyes, it was gray with a single horizontal black line as a mouth (maybe 2 or 3 pixels). The chin part made it look almost like a metallic skull. I know the game was sci-fi and I swear I read the entire lists here and watched gameplay videos on youtube hoping to find it. No success.

The second game is something with graphics similar to Nintendo 64. I barely remember some gameplay, but I clearly remember de intro. It had monsters coming from the darkness and all of a sudden all of them started infighting. There was something like a zombie with claws and a giant spider-like creature.

I hope somebody help me finding these games.