Start a Conversation

Unsolved

JJ

17 Posts

January 21st, 2020 05:00

Questions on installing Dell OPTIPLEX XE2 T20 7VK45 T1M43 365W Power Supply

I just bought a new Dell OPTIPLEX XE2 T20 7VK45 T1M43 365W Power Supply and would like to know if there's any particular info on how to install this other than to power off remove and replace.

My system is a 9020 with windows 10 and an i7 processer.

Thanks!

17 Posts

January 21st, 2020 05:00

Sorry, here's my other info you may need:
Service Tag = "removed"
Express Service Code = "removed"

2.5K Posts

January 21st, 2020 09:00

the magic adapter works perfectly.

if PC is MT that is, is YOURS?

2.5K Posts

January 21st, 2020 09:00

so xe2 psu to 9020?

9020 means zero,  no case stated,

no sure at all why do that, the 9020 needs $7 adapter, and even a 750w standard, PSU ATX fits.

why not ask first your choices then buy,

you failed to say what XE2 you own, XE2 means nothing at all lacking case size. just read post 1 here,  Chris dells.

my guess wild is this is XE2 MT to 9020 MT, am I right, ? well plug it in. AC power not connected, for 1hr.

The 9020MT can in fact use industry standard, PSU ATX, with this. 3020MT is sister pC

I even tested 300watt (card alone) GPU card in my 3020, with my killer Corsair TX750 pSU.

just obey 2 rules>

1: do not hot swap any parts in side, any PC, with AC mains HOT. (unplug AC and push front power button 3 times or until fans stop twitching pushed) (the magic of 0vdc, zero volts DC)

2: use ESD procedures,  wrist strap (ground ) or just keep idle hand on metal of case and not blow up CMOS logic.  OK? ESD is real and some times creates the walking wounded. (have proof)

17 Posts

January 21st, 2020 14:00

I bought on of these from Moddyfi and was going to use it with my old Corsair 750 watt but thought using a factory Dell would be better than an aftermarket PSU.

I am no PC guru and this stuff is very difficult for me to decipher.

17 Posts

January 21st, 2020 14:00

My mistake, I forgot to post 9020 MT. Sorry.

I bought this power supply from information posted on this forum after a whole lot of reading. The graphics card I want to install is a GEFORCE GTX 1060. If I read here correctly, the 365 Watt power Supply should be sufficient to handle this card.

As for all the ". . .XE2 T20 7VK45 T1M43 ..." I have no idea what all that means. The purchase ad said it was for the new Dell OPTIPLEX 9020 MT and that is why I bought it. This should be a direct factory replacement. Isn't it?

Are you saying I should have gotten a different more wattage PSU? Please advise.

Thanks!

2.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 09:00

if PSU now is bad buy one put it in, ebay has them, for all Dells, buyone. or upgrade it.

the XE2 use same (MT) as my 3020 MT and mine has the adaptor and 750watt PSU, so I can run ANYTHING I WANT, at any time. the stock PSU has no aux cables and only 2 sata power cables.

ive post this 100 of times, what cards (GPU) fit here.

300 have.

here we go 1 more time.

there are more with upgraded PSU, lots more cards run GPU, as see above.

I just looked at your MOBO MT and is not marked with 25 to 45watt limits so can run any 75watt GPU>

and more with PSU upgrade.

2.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2020 09:00

no factory dell PSU is best, why say that.?

a full blown top of the line PSU from Corsair is far better.

vast person on earth upgraded dell PSU, you are not the first nor the last.

ok its and XE2 not XE and not XE3,

is this the full sized case.

the ATX PSU has many sata power cables not just 2 on some dells, and has GPU aux cables where the Dell has none,  real PSU rock, they allow upgrades now and in the future and have full power

you know a 750watt PSU does not use 750watts, no, it uses only the power you and your hardware demand

just like your electrics shaver at 3 watts does not use 1500 watts like your portable space heater does.

same deal there. and if gold rated even less. (efficiencies)

7VK45  = MT, right, you have MT case. not the tiny SFF case right,  Im asking because you never said and because you may be tying to buy wrong PSU and no case stated,  see?

the larger PSU allows you to run any GPU card made now or in the future.

365watts is plenty for 75watt GPU like GTX1050s (some) and GTX1650 mine.

see?

what you want now and in the future  matters, are you gaming (AAA+ $60)>>>> top gamer? IDK.

PCs are engine, what hills do you climb, IDK.

• when posting about , PCs, tell what case you have, (MT and SFF in this case no pun)
  • what you have not ,all GPU cards,  and what PSU you have watts now.
  • and where you want to go, unstated that. now and even 3 years from now.
  • and if an app runs slow name it.

got this?  took, me 15second to post case. nobody post photos , and is cave man simple here,  @!

ex2mt.jpg

I am a hardware guy,  software to me is like changing dirty socks,  and do so often.

17 Posts

January 23rd, 2020 05:00

Yes, I have the larger case. The pic you posted is my case, the MT    (Mini Tower).

Right now I have the standard factory Dell 290 Watt Power Supply..

The PSU I bought can be returned, so that is no big deal.

You are saying that I can use an aftermarket Power Supply with more power for future upgrades?

I want to be sure it will fit right in without having to do anything except install/use my 24 Pin to 8 Pin adapter (which I already have).

Can you please post a link to a real good brand Power Supply you Dell guys recommend? I know there are a ton of cheap ones out there and I'm not smart enough to find the best, so that's why I bought the factory Dell Power Supply. 

I am not so concerned with an inexpensive Power Supply as I am with not having problems down the road with a cheap product Power Supply.

Mostly I use my PC for videos, editing, and graphics stuff. I wanted to be able to run 4 monitors and eventually have to ability to get into gaming if I want. 

At present my system is using one 512 GB Solid State for main drive, and one 6 TB for data storage (mostly videos, pics, etc).

2.5K Posts

January 23rd, 2020 05:00

MT, cheers to that, as in MORE ROOM means more versatile. and more power.

First off Dell does not make lists of 3rd party products,  you asked about PCU and anyone works on Dell PCs knows what fits and works and brands and all that it is not some secret. 

ever been to Newegg.com

personally I like the modular PSU (or SEMI Modular ) on plug in what you need is very nice PSU.

that is first place to look and Corsair is a famous brand..(I also like Thermaltake DPS,)

the ATX supply is standard in this way.

wide is same, tall same, in mm.  but....

only the length varies, by spec, too.   ok.  so in most cases up to 750 watts fit. but do look.

your new 356watt is ok and works, but not with 200w GPU cards,  if the future needs that get a bigger PSU. in watts.

The newer PSU have 5 way or more protection levels not seen on old PCs.

The newer PSU has fresh capacitors inside, that will  not leak or go dry and PC BSOD all day and the extra power futures proofs the PC so all upgrades can and will work.

once you leap to bigger PSU, you need the DELL cable adaptor the dell does NOT use standard ATX cables on this dell PC. it costs $7 only . 6 pin to 24pin power adapter. your call, your need. if needed.

below is YOUR PC,  lots of room , right? yes.

for longer PSU if needed, and longer GPU until it hits the HDD cage, my dells hit at 10.5" no sure yours but a ruler works here super easy to find out.

xe2fit.JPG

lots of room is always good, nice choice of PC !

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 24th, 2020 06:00

Standard Power supplies DO not work out of the box because they lack specific connections.

75W and up cards require the optional 365W power supply or a non OEM supply with an adapter.

D365EM-00  

T1M43  Delta  CN-0T1M43-17972-33B-00L0-A00

HU365EM-00 7VK45  Shenzhen Huntkey

There's also a guy who made his own adapter.
https://raphtec.wordpress.com/projects/dell-poweredge-t20-atx-power-supply-adapter/

The 24 pin power supply connector is 8 pins.  The proprietary power supply only has 12v rails.   Standard power supply requires an adapter from MODDIY CAB359.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-9020-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

Corsair CX750M has sufficient power on the 3.3v/5v rails combined.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/cxm-series-2015-config/p/CP-9020061-NA#tab-tech-specs

Another unit that is available is the EVGA 700BR

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-700w-atx12v-eps12v-80-plus-bronze-power-supply-dc-dc-technology-black/6346160.p?skuId=6346160

Any unit with less than 150W combined power 25A on the 3.3v/5v rails is NOT recommended and may not work at all.

This is why the CX500 CX600 CX700 is not working.

Corsair CS750M is fine but CS700M and CS650M and smaller is not because the 3.3v /5v combined rails only have 100 to 130W which is not enough.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

17 Posts

I looked on Newegg at the power supplies.

Would you mind doing me a favor and selecting the best Corsair for my needs and that will fit directly into my 9020 MT and posting a link for me please?  

I'm not sure how many watts I should get either.

Thanks for all your help!

17 Posts

17 Posts

January 27th, 2020 04:00

I ordered this one, should be here today:

Corsair CX750M has sufficient power on the 3.3v/5v rails combined.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/cxm-series-2015-config/p/CP-902...

Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your help.

2.5K Posts

January 27th, 2020 04:00

that is a real nice PSU and has (semi modular is great) below is off your linked page, annotated.

1 x 20+4-Pin Motherboard cable (MOBO  POWER and needs the $7 24  to 8 pin Dell adapter to work)
1 x 4+4-Pin, works as either 4 or 8-Pin CPU power Cable
2 x 6+2-Pin PCIe (used for GPU cards)
4 x 4-Pin peripheral?
6 x SATA cable (runs 6 HDD/SSD)
1 x Floppy power (useless but no need to use the cable)

this PSU can run just about any GPU card made for sure up to 200watt cards.

The PC runs great too with GTX1650 ( in full legacy mode) 

be clear here,  you can use ATX power supply only with an cable  adapter. OK.?

dell-bs.JPG

to this

psu.jpg

it is simple and cheap to buy, I have not tested the XE2, yet, but should work.

No Events found!