Trioceros Hoehnelii - Helmeted Chameleon - Kenya

NHenn

Avid Member
These little guys have always been on our wish list to work with and we are pleased to have a small breeding group in hopes to offer some CB babies down the road. We do have a few extra males if anyone is looking to add an incredible species to their collection as well!

One of our breeding males:
Triceros Hoehnelii Male - Canvas Chameleons (1)Small.jpg
Triceros Hoehnelii Male - Canvas Chameleons (2) Small.jpg
Triceros Hoehnelii Male - Canvas Chameleons (3) Small.jpg

And female:
Triceros Hoehnelii Female - Canvas Chameleons (2) Small.jpg
Triceros Hoehnelii Female - Canvas Chameleons (1) Small.jpg

He is amazing! I think they have the cutest little noses. I don't know why but their noses remind of the Who's from the Grinch stole Christmas!:) P.S. that first photo looks like a photo contest winner to me!

These little guys have always been on our wish list to work with and we are pleased to have a small breeding group in hopes to offer some CB babies down the road. We do have a few extra males if anyone is looking to add an incredible species to their collection as well!

One of our breeding males:
View attachment 158122 View attachment 158123 View attachment 158119

And female:
View attachment 158120 View attachment 158121

Nick are you sure that second one, the blue one, is a female?

Yep, her crest isn't nearly as developed as the males and she doesn't have any bulge at her tail base either like the males. Similar colors but most certainly a female.

Nick, I know zip about the species but am trying to learn all I can. I'm waiting for a copy of MOUNTAIN DRAGONS.

I have two adult female hoehnelii and they have never been any color other than olive greens to brown and a yellow green. Granted, one is still gravid and the other had her 11 babies 12 days ago. The first picture taken this morning is of the female who had babies almost two weeks ago. She has always been olive green tp brown or this color at her brightest. The second picture is of my young male. The third picture is a head shot of my gravid female.

The females have faces like baboon muzzles with the rostral crest--is that the right term?--having no upturn to it. The male, on the other hand, has a face where his little nose goes up. The rubs are pretty minor, I think.

20160517_121506.jpg

20160517_121554.jpg

20160517_123255.jpg

Nick, I know zip about the species but am trying to learn all I can. I'm waiting for a copy of MOUNTAIN DRAGONS.

I have two adult female hoehnelii and they have never been any color other than olive greens to brown and a yellow green. Granted, one is still gravid and the other had her 11 babies 12 days ago. The first picture taken this morning is of the female who had babies almost two weeks ago. She has always been olive green tp brown or this color at her brightest. The second picture is of my young male. The third picture is a head shot of my gravid female.

The females have faces like baboon muzzles with the rostral crest--is that the right term?--having no upturn to it. The male, on the other hand, has a face where his little nose goes up. The rubs are pretty minor, I think.

Janet, I am by far from an expert with this species so we are all learning along the way. You will greatly enjoy the Mountain Dragons book btw! Working with all different species I've always trusted falling back to the tail bulge as that make sexing mostly any chameleon (besides parsoni) fairly easy. There are usually some other physical characteristics that come into play with sexual dimorphism in most species but with some like the T. hoehnelli it isn't as obvious as others especially when looking at pictures and not being able to see them in person.

Janet, I am by far from an expert with this species so we are all learning along the way. You will greatly enjoy the Mountain Dragons book btw! Working with all different species I've always trusted falling back to the tail bulge as that make sexing mostly any chameleon (besides parsoni) fairly easy. There are usually some other physical characteristics that come into play with sexual dimorphism in most species but with some like the T. hoehnelli it isn't as obvious as others especially when looking at pictures and not being able to see them in person.

Thanks Nick. The book arrived today but I've been so busy with the new imports plus now four clutches of babies--three less than two weeks old!

What temperatures are you keeping them at and how much humidity/mistings are you giving them?

They are super cute with their jerky movements. I am quite taken by them.

Thanks Nick. The book arrived today but I've been so busy with the new imports plus now four clutches of babies--three less than two weeks old!

What temperatures are you keeping them at and how much humidity/mistings are you giving them?

Janet, I know this is a little off topic, but you have four clutches that have hatched?! What species are they? Omg you must be so busy, I love hearing about your chameleons even if I don't always comment, I especially love hearing that everyone is thriving.

Janet, I know this is a little off topic, but you have four clutches that have hatched?! What species are they? Omg you must be so busy, I love hearing about your chameleons even if I don't always comment, I especially love hearing that everyone is thriving.

I have a big clutch of 3.5 month old graciliors, a second clutch of graciliors hatched the first of this month, the hoehnelii gave birth May 6th, I have a 3-month old single quad, and a quad clutch is hatching now. Plus the 13 new imports. And the other gravid hoehnelii. It's a lot.

It is overwhelming to have that many babies to care for at one time Janet. I once had a large number of hatchlings emerge at one time and it was exhausting. Just because I think I run spastic when I don't have too. Now, I am afraid it's going to be another wild summer. I was hoping that my two gravid sternfeldi would have their babies sooner rather later. Now, I think they are going to hold out and probably have them at the same time that my jacksonii is going to have hers. Then with 43 melleri eggs due in less than two months, I beginning to fret a bit.

To be honest, I don't monitor my temperatures or humidity anymore. I have my rooms set up specifically for certain species so it keeps things fairly simple.

To be honest, I don't monitor my temperatures or humidity anymore. I have my rooms set up specifically for certain species so it keeps things fairly simple.

How are you keeping the hoehnelii? I'm trying to figure out what they need.

Back
Top Bottom