Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-27-2022, 10:29 PM   #1
Delos

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 LS
Angry HELP!! GAS IN OIL!!! RUNNING LEAN!

getting codes p2177 and p2179. my rail fuel pressure is over 500psi and when I'm driving my short term fuel goes into the low negatives. I keep getting fuel into my oil (about to drip off the dip stick).

I've replaced:
  • All 6 spark plugs
  • All 6 fuel injectors
  • 1 ignition coil (cylinder 1)
  • New Throttle body
  • New Intake Manifold Gasket
  • New PCV Valve and hose
  • Changed the oil and filter after replacing parts
I then drove fine for 240 miles and that's when I got running too lean on both sides of the engine.

Someone said to change out the other 5 ignition coils and O2 sensors. Will this help? Thanks in advance to anyone that took the time to read to help out!

PICTURES:
I/M Readiness
Name:  IM_Readiness.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  121.1 KB
DATA STREAM 1-45
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  141.8 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  122.5 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  122.8 KB
Name:  4.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  123.9 KB
Name:  5.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  120.4 KB
Name:  6.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  111.7 KB
Name:  7.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  115.8 KB
Name:  8.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  116.9 KB
Name:  9.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  118.6 KB

Last edited by Delos; 05-28-2022 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Editting
Delos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:03 AM   #2
Delos

ADDITIONAL INFO:

Ordered New:
>O2 sensors
>5 Ignition coils

Further research points most likely to the O2 Sensors. Wendy has 84,000 miles. I did have an issue where I had misfires on one side of my engine(Bank 1). Due to it running rich then it could have a ton of carbon build up on them causing false readings or just might be damaged

Last edited by Delos; 05-29-2022 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Updates.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:04 AM   #3
PaulsSS

Drives: 15SS Camaro
replace the fuel pump at the back of the engine. Its leaking fuel directly into the crankcase.
PaulsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:22 PM   #4
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
replace the fuel pump at the back of the engine. Its leaking fuel directly into the crankcase.

This right here. Your HPFP inside the engine is definitely leaking fuel into the engine.

After you get all of this fixed, you might have ruined the cats, so get those checked out too

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:48 AM   #5
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
getting codes p2177 and p2179. my rail fuel pressure is over 500psi and when I'm driving my short term fuel goes into the low negatives. I keep getting fuel into my oil (about to drip off the dip stick).

I've replaced:
  • All 6 spark plugs
  • All 6 fuel injectors
  • 1 ignition coil (cylinder 1)
  • New Throttle body
  • New Intake Manifold Gasket
  • New PCV Valve and hose
  • Changed the oil and filter after replacing parts
I then drove fine for 240 miles and that's when I got running too lean on both sides of the engine.

Someone said to change out the other 5 ignition coils and O2 sensors. Will this help? Thanks in advance to anyone that took the time to read to help out!

PICTURES:
I/M Readiness
Attachment 1100342
DATA STREAM 1-45
Attachment 1100343
Attachment 1100344
Attachment 1100345
Attachment 1100346
Attachment 1100347
Attachment 1100348
Attachment 1100349
Attachment 1100350
Attachment 1100351
You could have a leaking high pressure fuel pump, but that's not what's causing those 2 codes. You have unmetered air entering the engine. Your MAF reading is 3.78 gps, and it should be 4.32 gps hot at idle with no load. Check for any leaks on the intake side or into the crankcase such as dipstick not seated or oil cap leaking. Also, a faulty O2 sensor wont cause these 2 codes to set without there being a O2 sensor code set as well, so don't waste your money.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:10 AM   #6
NOT A 45

This may help, I took this from the service manual for those 2 codes.

Diagnostic Aids
An HO2S will not cause this DTC to set without the occurrence of circuit related HO2S DTCs. Do not replace an HO2S to address this DTC.
Observing the LT FT Bn 1 and Bn 2 parameters, while driving the vehicle can determine whether the lean condition is effecting only one bank , or is common to both banks of the engine.
A fuel system delivery condition causes this DTC to set. Thoroughly inspect all items that cause a lean condition. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis.
Any un-metered air into the engine causes this DTC to set. Thoroughly inspect all areas of the engine for vacuum leaks.
A MAF sensor condition can cause this DTC without setting a MAF DTC. If there is a MAF sensor condition, the MAF sensor parameters will appear to be within range.
Inspect the air filter for being the correct one for this application. Make sure that the engine oil fill cap is in place and that it is tight. Verify that the engine oil dip stick is fully seated.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #7
Delos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulsSS View Post
I used a nother code reader to read more codes and it's saying p0221 and MAF. I'm going to look more into this. Thank you for responding.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #8
Delos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
This right here. Your HPFP inside the engine is definitely leaking fuel into the engine.

After you get all of this fixed, you might have ruined the cats, so get those checked out too
Thank you. I know that the CATs are possibly a little ruined since it sat for 2 weeks after the raw fuel was goin through the exhaust due to the bank 1 misfires. After I got it running again after I fixed the issue the gas evaporated leaving white smoke leaving the exhaust. I'm still getting fuel at a slow pace now into the oil. A code reader that went more indepth read p0221 and MAF. So Im going to replace the MAF here soon to see if it fixes my problem. Thank you for responding
Old 06-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
Delos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
This may help, I took this from the service manual for those 2 codes.

Diagnostic Aids
An HO2S will not cause this DTC to set without the occurrence of circuit related HO2S DTCs. Do not replace an HO2S to address this DTC.
Observing the LT FT Bn 1 and Bn 2 parameters, while driving the vehicle can determine whether the lean condition is effecting only one bank , or is common to both banks of the engine.
A fuel system delivery condition causes this DTC to set. Thoroughly inspect all items that cause a lean condition. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis.
Any un-metered air into the engine causes this DTC to set. Thoroughly inspect all areas of the engine for vacuum leaks.
A MAF sensor condition can cause this DTC without setting a MAF DTC. If there is a MAF sensor condition, the MAF sensor parameters will appear to be within range.
Inspect the air filter for being the correct one for this application. Make sure that the engine oil fill cap is in place and that it is tight. Verify that the engine oil dip stick is fully seated.
A new reader read the MAF and P0221. I have new O2 sensors to put on so I hope it fixes the issue since the MAF and O2 sensors deal with the AFR. Thank you for looking through the manual to pull that info.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
I'm still getting fuel at a slow pace now into the oil. A code reader that went more indepth read p0221 and MAF.

I don't believe either of those things would cause actual fuel in your oil. Your MAF might be throwing a problem because it's commanding fuel that the pump is leaking so it's not giving the fuel it's supposed to be. Honestly I think you need to get the UIM off and check that fuel rail inside.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:39 PM   #11
NOT A 45

Quote:
A new reader read the MAF and P0221. I have new O2 sensors to put on so I hope it fixes the issue since the MAF and O2 sensors deal with the AFR. Thank you for looking through the manual to pull that info.
O.K., so I didn't just look this up in the manual.....it's what I do for a living. I am a GM Master certified technician. Here's what I would do if the car was sitting in front of me. As a general rule, when you have multiple codes stored figure out which ones are current, and which ones are history. Concentrate on the current codes and start with the lowest code first.

That being said, the previous codes you reported indicate a lean condition. From the scan tool data you provided your long term fuel trim indicates a lean condition. Ignore the short term numbers. Fuel in your oil will always cause a rich condition (P0172-P0175) not lean. Your Mass Air flow reading is also low, and I have rarely if ever seen a maf skew low....always high. In my opinion, you have a vacuum leak or something else effecting the reading from the maf. The simple rule is your MAF should read 1.2 times your liter size hot at idle with no loads on the engine (ac off). So 3.6 x 1.2 yields 4.23 grams per second. Your way below that......find the leak and you will most likely resolve your problem!!!!
Old 06-14-2022, 08:18 AM   #12
Delos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
O.K., so I didn't just look this up in the manual.....it's what I do for a living. I am a GM Master certified technician. Here's what I would do if the car was sitting in front of me. As a general rule, when you have multiple codes stored figure out which ones are current, and which ones are history. Concentrate on the current codes and start with the lowest code first.

That being said, the previous codes you reported indicate a lean condition. From the scan tool data you provided your long term fuel trim indicates a lean condition. Ignore the short term numbers. Fuel in your oil will always cause a rich condition (P0172-P0175) not lean. Your Mass Air flow reading is also low, and I have rarely if ever seen a maf skew low....always high. In my opinion, you have a vacuum leak or something else effecting the reading from the maf. The simple rule is your MAF should read 1.2 times your liter size hot at idle with no loads on the engine (ac off). So 3.6 x 1.2 yields 4.23 grams per second. Your way below that......find the leak and you will most likely resolve your problem!!!!
I really do appreciate your input and meant no disrespect. Thank you for taking the time to go into detail and teaching me some of what you know. I've tried taking off my oil cap to see if there was a change at all and it ran the same. I'm still having the problem I just keep changing my oil every 400 miles. I'm going to look into getting a test kit since I'm still new to working with/around the engine bay. Again thank you for your time!!
Old 06-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #13
NOT A 45

Quote:
I really do appreciate your input and meant no disrespect. Thank you for taking the time to go into detail and teaching me some of what you know. I've tried taking off my oil cap to see if there was a change at all and it ran the same. I'm still having the problem I just keep changing my oil every 400 miles. I'm going to look into getting a test kit since I'm still new to working with/around the engine bay. Again thank you for your time!!
Taking off the oil cap makes it run even more lean.......... You just introduced more air into the engine bypassing the MAF
Old 07-07-2022, 12:15 PM   #14
Delos

Found a split line and fixed it. It is still running lean. I'm getting pretty annoyed with it at this point along with other things going on in life. Going to take it to a shop for a diagnostic.

Tags
gas, lean, oil