• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anthus berthelotii Bolle 1862 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Anthus berthelotii Bolle 1862 OD Jahrg.10=no.55-60 (1862) - Journal für Ornithologie - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Den Namen, welchen ich ihm beilege, indem ich ihn nach meinem würdigen Freunde Sabin Berthelot Anthus Bertheloii nenne, haben mit die Gefühle des Herzens, sowie dankbare Anerkennung hohen wissenschaftlichen Verdienstes zugleich, in die Feder diktirt.

Berthelot's Pipit Anthus berthelotii Bolle, 1862 [Alt. Canary Island Pipit]
Sabin Berthelot (1794–1880) was the French Consul on Tenerife. He wrote Histoire Naturelle des Îles Canaries (1835) and The Exploration of the Southern Coast of Spain (1867).

Sabin Berthelot (1794-1880) French malacologist, Consul on Tenerife 1848-1874 (Anthus).

Birth entry 201 E 1257 - 1794 p. 2/13 gives us his name as

Cincinatus Sabin Bru Berthelot => Not sure about the Bru part

Birth seems 16 Germinal II (even if there is written that would be 5. April 1794?)

201 E 3297 - 1792-1802 - 1792-1802 p. 10/41 this thrird name is only a B.

So I think the various Wikipedia pages are wrong with the birth dates Sabin Berthelot - Wikipedia

No idea if his death is correct there.

His full birth record is here, 89-90/178.

There, in the record, he is "Cincinatus Sabin Brutus", but : in the margin of image 90, there is an added note stating that, in application of a judgement rendered by the Tribunal de Première instance de Marseille on 16 Nov 1809, the given names Cincinatus Brutus have been removed from the child's appellation.

The record is dated to 16 Germinal, but he was né hier à l'heure de midy, thus 15 Germinal an 2 = 4 Apr 1794.

"There, in the record, he is "Cincinatus Sabin Brutus",
The name in 1794 and change in 1809 is because he was born during the revolution and Brutus was an emporer killer and Cincinatus supported the Romean Republic and in 1809 revolutionary fervor dimmed? Reminds me of Lesson saying if he was born a little later his middle name would have been Turnip.

His full birth record is here, 89-90/178.

The link did not persist, unfortunately -- and now, for some reason, searching the archive does not appear to work at all.
Anyway, his birth was on images 89-90/178 in volume #10 of birth records for 1794 in "Marseilles (Bouches-du-Rhône, France)(29686)".

The link did not persist, unfortunately -- and now, for some reason, searching the archive does not appear to work at all.
Anyway, his birth was on images 89-90/178 in volume #10 of birth records for 1794 in "Marseilles (Bouches-du-Rhône, France)(29686)".

This should be permanent:

And there is a transcription of his death record at:
He died on 18 Nov 1880, in his home at "Ste Croix de Ténériffe" = Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
(He is called "Salbin Berthelot" in this transcription, but it's unquestionably him -- "Consul de France de 1ère classe en retraite, né à Marseille (France) le quatre avril mil sept cent quatre vingt quatorze".)

Last edited:
The name in 1794 and change in 1809 is because he was born during the revolution and Brutus was an emporer killer and Cincinatus supported the Romean Republic and in 1809 revolutionary fervor dimmed?

These were "revolutionary" first names given to a child born during the Reign of Terror.
E.g., see pp. 39-41 in this.

Sorry guys, even if now maybe superfluous, or somewhat redundant, but I have to open this thread again, as one single detail (i.e. his exact Death date) seems still unsolved, alt. if nothing else, slightly dubious, or at least problematic (apparently still open to doubt/confusion) ...

Re. berthelotii as in:
• Berthelot's Pipit Anthus berthelotii BOLLE 1862 (link to the OD in post #1), as "Anthus Berthelotii", a k a Canarian Pipit, or Canary Islands Pipit (alt. earlier, in Swedish, "Berthelots piplärka", hence my interest – today it's kanariepiplärka, in line with its alternate English name/s):
... Den Namen, welchen ich ihm beilege, indem ich ihn nach meinem würdigen Freunde Sabin Berthelot Anthus Berthelotii nenne [thus, not "Bertheloii" as stated/claimed in Martin's firs quote in Post #1], ...

In today's Key, where we find the dedicatee as:
berthelotii
Sabin Berthelot (1794-1880) French malacologist, Consul on Tenerife 1848-1874 (Anthus).
... which seems all correct, and in line with what's been told/found/shown earlier in this thread.

However, if we look into the fairly recent (and local) Paper Notices biographiques de naturalistes provençaux et étrangers, in Faune-PACA Publication No. 107: 1–154, by Walter Belis, published in June 2021 (here), we find a different Death date, in comparison to what's been told/shown in the latter posts of this thread! On page 20–21 we find a fairly detailed entry about Monsieur Berhelot, starting with the Phrase:
Sabin Berthelot
Ce naturaliste et ethnologue est né le 4 avril 1794 à Marseille et est décédé le 10 novembre 1880 à Santa Cruz de Ténérife. ...

So, did he die on the 18th (as claimed by Laurent in #5 above), or on the 10th (of November 1880), as told by Walter Belis ... !?!

🚦Disclaimer, as Monsieur Belis clearly have made some erroneous claims (at least in some other entries, of other guys, in the same Paper) I would recommend it to be read with care, with some healthy scepticism/skepticism, but it might be worth some consideration (for anyone who knows French, that is). Maybe it includes something pointing either way, or, if nothing else, it might possibly add something additional on other parts of his Life (for anyone interested) ... who knows?

🧩

Either way, also note that the normally very trustworthy couple, Barbara Mearns and Richard Mearns, in the new and revised Edition of Biographies for Birdwatchers (2022), in volume 1 (pp.40–42) has him, as:
Sabin Berthelot
(1794-1880)
[...]
In 1862 Bolle dedicated Anthus berthelotii to his friend Sabin Bethelot who had provided him with hospitality while at Santa Cruz on Tenerife in the 1850s. ...
[...]
Born on 4 April 1794, the son of a Marseilles merchant, ...
[...]
He retired in August 1874, at the age of 80, and was given the freedom of the city of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, where he died on 10 November 1880.
[...]

Hrmm, thus ... did he truly died on the 10th, or the 18th of November 1880 ... ? :unsure:

Also compare with the Death dates (still today) given in Wikipedia:
• (English): "10 November 1880"​
• (French): "10 novembre 1880"​
• (Spanish): "10 de noviembre 1880" (calling him "Sabino" ...)​
• (German): "10 November 1880"​
• (Swedish): "10 november 1880"​

Makes me wonder about the Origin of this/those claim/s.

Or, are those just echoes of each other? But still, someone, at some point, must have stated that he died on the 10th (even if erroneous) though; who, when and where, I cannot tell.

Anyone who knows?

... to be continued.

Last edited:
Either way, a Photo, of an old/aged Monsieur Sabin Berthelot (taken in 1879, one year prior to his Death) is kept by the Biblioteque nationale de France (BnF/Gallica, here, and below).
Sabin Berthelot, front (small).jpgSabin Berthelot, back (small).jpg
And note the scribbled text on the back of it [dated (after his death) 31 May 1883], which does confirm what Laurent stated above: "... mort ... le 18 Novembre 1880, ..."

And note that this is not the Photo used by Mearns & Mearns, who preferred an earlier, more artistic (drawn), hand-made version of him in their Book (see Photo below):

Sabin Berthelot.JPG
... which is the same picture/drawing/engraving used in the Wikipedia pages above (see post #7).

Though, note that also this (the latter) Picture of Bethelot is, as well, kept in the collections of BnF/Gallica (here), with the added same/similar text (in pencil):
Sabin Berthelot
né à Marseillele 4 Avril 1794
mort à St Croix de Ténériffe le 18 Novembre 1880
âge d. 86 ans, 7 mois & 14 jours
Sabin Berthelot (small).jpg

Pretty detailed. Sure makes me wonder why the Mearns Couple choose to disregard what's written/scribbled on it!

The same death date is/was as well confirmed here: "Son long séjour aux Canaries, où il est mort le 18 novembre 1880, ...", and in the (German) note in Leopoldina (1881) here, bottom of page: "Am 18. November starb zu Santa Cruz de Tenerife Sabin B e r t h e l o t, bekannt als Botaniker und Ornithologe, französischer Consul auf den Canarischen Insel. Er war ... ", as well (if you can find it?), in Noticia biografica de M. Sabin Berthelot, par Elias Zerolo, Santa-Crux de Tenerifa, 1881, mentioned here.

The Death of Bethelot (even without dates) was also regretted, in the same Journal (Bulletin de la Société d'acclimatation), here. A longer text about l'ouvrage de (the Work of) M. [Monsieur] Sabin Bethelot (all in French), here (if of any help/use?)

Have Walter Belis (2021), and the Mearns couple (2022), as well as all those Wikipedia pages, simply got the wrong death date? :oops:

To me, without understanding much French, such (does indeed) seems to be the case ...

If so (!?), awkward for Monsieur Belis, and even more so for Mearns couple, as I believe that their brand-new (and very thoroughly done) Book/s will be considered as The Standard Book of Reference/s when in boils down to various Biographies for Birdwatchers ...

Anyone who thinks otherwise?

Is Monsieur Berthelot (and his Death) maybe, possibly found in the Léonore database?

Either way, that's about it, now I'm (finally) done in this particular topic, this is as far as I can reach (with my limited language skills). If all (or any) of it is worth considering, or not, I cannot tell.

In any case, enjoy

Björn

PS. Monsieur Berthelot has also been dealt with earlier (back in 2020), even if at that point only briefly, in context/s, with other taxa (here, and here, see PS.)

Last edited:

Attachments

• 18801123_revista_de_canarias_p_0001.pdf
    105.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
as well (if you can find it?), in Noticia biografica de M. Sabin Berthelot, par Elias Zerolo, Santa-Crux de Tenerifa, 1881, mentioned here.

pp. 35-36 :
Un día de la primera decena de noviembre del próximo pasado año de 1880, fuimos á ver á Mr. Berthelot : encontrámosle algo indispuesto, pero trabajando sin embargo en copiar algunas cuartillas de los Souvenirs Intimes. Días después su médico, don Diego Costa, anunció que se había apoderado de nuestro amigo una pneumonía, que los recursos de la ciencia no podrían dominar; y, desgraciadamente, se confirmó el pronóstico del distinguido facultativo : el dia 18 á las 9¼ de la mañana dejó de existir Mr. Berthelot.
(One day in the first decade of November of last year, 1880, we went to see Mr. Berthelot : we found him somewhat unwell, but working nevertheless on copying some pages of the Souvenirs Intimes. Days later his doctor, Don Diego Costa, announced that our friend was suffering from a pneumonia, which the resources of science could not overcome; and, unfortunately, the distinguished doctor's prognosis was confirmed : on the 18th at a quarter past nine in the morning Mr. Berthelot ceased to exist.)​

I have no doubt that 18 Nov is correct.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back