Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many dying 6-red blinks Sony FW-55BZ35F; looking for advice

Hi,

The school where I'm working in AV is having ~25%> failure rate (12 and counting) on 4-5yr old Sony FW-55BZ35F's with a 6-blink LED code and I'm looking for troubleshooting advice/information in the case that there is a reasonable repair path. (e-cycling them is the alternative)

In searching the net for info it seems to indicate it may be the G* board power supply and being this forum has some deep technical roots in this area I'm coming here for the first time to inquire.

Is there anyone who may have a current Sony manual for this model or specific troubleshooting points?

I searched this and other resources and only found older vintage manuals, and while similar basics seem to apply, I am hoping for better direction before committing any action such as pre-emptively purchasing a G181 board.

I am attaching pictures of the display internal boards for reference. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! (Ps I do have tech chops so let me know what I may need to do to gather info)
    Attached Files

Re: Many dying 6-red blinks Sony FW-55BZ35F; looking for advice

Code error "6" - backlight problem.
    Attached Files

Comment

It's a result of the backlight leds being driven too hard.

All you can do for the ones that have not yet succumbed is to turn down the backlight level and hope for the best.

Comment

Thank you both, for the service manual, and for that the backlight should be turned down, I will relay that info to our team.

But in the case of the dead ones, once I run through the flowchart checks, aren't there any specific board or component(s) I could swap out that could recover these from the failure? Or are they just unobtainium or not-worth-it parts..

Thanks for your time..

Comment

Should be simple enough to check, just shine a flashlight on the screen hit menu and check for text or image, if you have image and 6 blinks then it's very likely bad backlight/s, can prolly get the backlight sets from ebay or china, try to use reputable sellers if you do.
          Last edited by nomoresonys; 07-28-2023, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
            Should be simple enough to check, just shine a flashlight on the screen hit menu and check for text or image, if you have image and 6 blinks then it's very likely bad backlight/s, can prolly get the backlight sets from ebay or china, try to use reputable sellers if you do.

What kind of flashlight and what image will it be if the protection from a malfunction immediately works and the TV is completely blocked and there will be no image, no sound ..., this is Sony!

Comment

At best you may see the sony sign flash up before it goes into protection mode.
              Just find the replacements on ali express and replace all of them.

Comment

It's edge lit. There are two boards https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005043383096.html

Comment

Right fair enough, it's ALSO the truth that 6 blinks is not always a bad backlight, happened to me more than once.

Comment

Working...
                  X