Springfield Waypoint 6.5 prc gun and company problems

Logan T

WKR
Been sitting on this for a while- since the middle of May. As a long time Tikka shooter with zero issues I decided that I’d try a different manufacturer in the 6.5 prc. Mainly because Tikkas were hard to come by when I was looking and I’ll be honest, the Waypoint is a nice looking and great feeling rifle. I could not find a bad review on them when I was looking into them, until I dove REALLY deep after I had problems with mine. Even then people seemed to have minor issues they worked through. If anyone has solutions or similar issues, or ideas I’d like to hear them. The Waypoint has been recommended quite a bit it seems. Some of the “official firearm terms and lingo” may not be exactly correct for all the people who think they may need to say “it’s not called ”this” it’s called “that’’. Whatever. Here she goes…..

Middle of May- bought the rifle after quite a bit of research for quite some time. Like I said, overwhelmingly positive fit and feel, as well as reviews and recommendations. I get the gun home from the store, fill the mag, and cycle the action. Immediately the bolt is dragging on top of the cartridge below the one being chambered. I cycle the bolt and the cartridge chambered extracts but does not eject from the action. I feel the bolt drag again on the second cartridge. I pull it out and load the second into the chamber. The bolt drags on the next cartridge (3rd in a 3 round mag). I repeat the cycle and everything happens again.

Inspecting the cartridges, they all have pretty severe scaring on them from the bolt sliding over them. Enough so that I would not want to use them again for reloading, and I don’t think I will ever fire them period, because I don’t want them in any rifle with the amount of brass scratched off and flaking off in this specific rifle. Brass flaking off the cartridges inside the action like crazy. They also have a large ding and ear in the brass from the brass hitting the rear end of the ejection port.

I reloaded the mag several times with the same and different ammunition, and it doesn’t change. I never fired the rifle.

The good: I reached out to Springfield, and the guy on the phone was adamant that it was all caused by the mag and he very quickly sent me a new mag on the house. That was great service. But that’s where it ended with Springfield.

The mag i was sent didn’t fix anything. I researched more and spent money on a different mag, and a mag lip angle tool, and tried other things and nothing worked.

I took the rifle back in to the store I got it from and have purchased other rifles from, and luckily the guys in there have been great, because Springfield hasn’t been. I ran through everything with them and they were as frustrated as I was. They sent it back to Springfield and it was 2 months before it came back to the store.

The bad: It came with a note saying the gun functioned properly and they did nothing to it. I got a call from one of the guys in the gun shop saying it was finally back but Springfield did not do anything to it. He cycled the gun and the problems were still 100 percent there. He called Springfield and explained things again, and regarding the rifle not ejecting the cartridges at all, Springfield told him something along the lines of “This action is based off of old school long range precision actions and shooters who don’t want the empty cases ejected from the rifle, they like to take them out by hand.” Basically stating that’s how the gun is supposed to function.

My store said BS and sent it back immediately and I never saw it again— until today. It took another 2 months for Springfield to look at it and get it back, with another note saying it functions normal and they did nothing to it. Looking at it they clearly heavily oiled the action but that was the only thing we could find. We cycled the action with ammunition and surprise, it worked Flawlessly! BUT, only for 4-5 rounds. Then it was back to the same problems it has had.

I purchased this rifle in the middle of May, and haven’t even shot the thing one time. Springfield appears to not be trying very hard at all to even find the problems, because they are very obvious problems. I had the rifle for a week, and Springfield has had it for 16 weeks (4 months) without touching any of the issues. My store guys are going to reach out one last time and try to get springfield to right the situation.

My store guys also informed me of another issue they found on a Springfield Waypoint they had in the store, but I will wait and see what Springfield does before commenting about what the issue is. I will say that the issue is something that sounds like it belongs in the Fierce Rifle thread.

Anyways, there’s a review of my Springfield Waypoint 2020 in 6.5prc. I would caution people looking at that rifle. If you have questions ask, and if anyone thinks that some of the issues the rifle has are normal or fixable I’m all ears.

Oh yeah, in the meantime I did purchase a Tikka roughtech ember, and the thing is money!! I’m an idiot for looking elsewhere.

**edited to fix my math… I said they’ve had the gun 8 weeks, when they’ve actually had it for almost 16 weeks (4 months)

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
I had a similarly poor experience with a Springfield 1911. There will never be another Springfield in my safe.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
Have you tried taking a video of it malfunctioning and sent that along with the rifle back? Maybe along with the damaged rounds?

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Have you tried taking a video of it malfunctioning and sent that along with the rifle back? Maybe along with the damaged rounds?

The guys at the store took pics and video of the issues when it went back the first time and I believe both emailed and texted their rep. I’ve never sent a gun back so I don’t know about sending the damaged rounds with the rifle, however we did send pics of the damaged rounds. The shop is doing all of the shipping back and forth. I will mention sending the gouged rounds with the rifle in the morning to my guys and see what they think. It’s not hard to see in pics or person, or feel while cycling the action if they would actually do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Sorry to hear about your struggles with Springfield but as a person who was heavily considering several of their guns, I appreciate the heads up.

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Sorry to hear about your struggles with Springfield but as a person who was heavily considering several of their guns, I appreciate the heads up.
That’s why I posted, to give people a heads up. It is far and away the most expensive rifle I’ve bought, and it doesn’t function properly.

If Springfield makes thing right, I’ll share that too, but based on the timeline so far it is going to be another 8 weeks before I have any kind of idea.

SloppyJ

WKR
Sounds like an inletting problem for the magwell. Like it's cut too deep and allows the mag to get too close to the bolt. That or the inlet in the stock is putting the action too deep. That's if I'm understanding the problem correctly. You could quickly try something to see. Take the action screws out and throw washers under the action and see if it fixes it. I had to do this on a cheap build I had going because the Boyd's stock was inlet too deep and the rear tang safety was dragging on the stock and not working. I ended up bedding it like that and it works great.

Woitey

FNG
Years ago, I had a Springfield Socom that was a 5-7 MOA rifle with Nato ball. As it was the only ammo my agency would approve, I sent it back to Springfield. Springfield was appraised of the ammo requirement. Springfield put a scope on it, used 168 grain match, shot it into 3 MOA, said it met their specs, and sent it back. I sold it upon receipt. It sounds to me like you have a good relationship with your dealer, I would take the hit and trade it in on a Seekins.

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Years ago, I had a Springfield Socom that was a 5-7 MOA rifle with Nato ball. As it was the only ammo my agency would approve, I sent it back to Springfield. Springfield was appraised of the ammo requirement. Springfield put a scope on it, used 168 grain match, shot it into 3 MOA, said it met their specs, and sent it back. I sold it upon receipt. It sounds to me like you have a good relationship with your dealer, I would take the hit and trade it in on a Seekins.
Yes the shop has been great to deal with so far. And that is one option I’ve been considering heavily.

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Sounds like an inletting problem for the magwell. Like it's cut too deep and allows the mag to get too close to the bolt. That or the inlet in the stock is putting the action too deep. That's if I'm understanding the problem correctly. You could quickly try something to see. Take the action screws out and throw washers under the action and see if it fixes it. I had to do this on a cheap build I had going because the Boyd's stock was inlet too deep and the rear tang safety was dragging on the stock and not working. I ended up bedding it like that and it works great.
That’s an option…. If I get stuck with the gun. I’m not too keen on having to do that myself on a rifle in this price range. Hopefully Springfield makes things right, but thanks for the thought

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry to hear of your struggles with Springfield. The Waypoint appeared to be such a promising rifle.

The smart ass part of me wants to tell you this is your own fault from straying from Finnish made rifles :D

But seriously, I can empathize with this and it’s beyond frustrating… especially when they tell you failing to eject is a ‘feature’ rather than a flaw or malfunction.

I hope they come around or the shop can help make it right. In the mean time shoot the new roughtech like you hate it.

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
The smart ass part of me wants to tell you this is your own fault from straying from Finnish made rifles :D

But seriously, I can empathize with this and it’s beyond frustrating… especially when they tell you failing to eject is a ‘feature’ rather than a flaw or malfunction.

I hope they come around or the shop can help make it right. In the mean time shoot the new roughtech like you hate it.

I know it…… I’ve had exclusively Tikkas for 20 years with exactly zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Win 70 converted from 308 to 300 WSM, my smith had to mill the rear bridge back a bit for ejection, worked fine with a loaded cartridge. Took it out to shoot it and empty would not clear the receiver, no heavy bullet to aid ejection. He has to remill the receiver and refinish.

I do find it interesting that Proof offers pre-fits for the SF 2020, they must be made within pretty tight specs.

SODO

FNG
Been sitting on this for a while- since the middle of May. As a long time Tikka shooter with zero issues I decided that I’d try a different manufacturer in the 6.5 prc. Mainly because Tikkas were hard to come by when I was looking and I’ll be honest, the Waypoint is a nice looking and great feeling rifle. I could not find a bad review on them when I was looking into them, until I dove REALLY deep after I had problems with mine. Even then people seemed to have minor issues they worked through. If anyone has solutions or similar issues, or ideas I’d like to hear them. The Waypoint has been recommended quite a bit it seems. Some of the “official firearm terms and lingo” may not be exactly correct for all the people who think they may need to say “it’s not called ”this” it’s called “that’’. Whatever. Here she goes…..

Middle of May- bought the rifle after quite a bit of research for quite some time. Like I said, overwhelmingly positive fit and feel, as well as reviews and recommendations. I get the gun home from the store, fill the mag, and cycle the action. Immediately the bolt is dragging on top of the cartridge below the one being chambered. I cycle the bolt and the cartridge chambered extracts but does not eject from the action. I feel the bolt drag again on the second cartridge. I pull it out and load the second into the chamber. The bolt drags on the next cartridge (3rd in a 3 round mag). I repeat the cycle and everything happens again.

Inspecting the cartridges, they all have pretty severe scaring on them from the bolt sliding over them. Enough so that I would not want to use them again for reloading, and I don’t think I will ever fire them period, because I don’t want them in any rifle with the amount of brass scratched off and flaking off in this specific rifle. Brass flaking off the cartridges inside the action like crazy. They also have a large ding and ear in the brass from the brass hitting the rear end of the ejection port.

I reloaded the mag several times with the same and different ammunition, and it doesn’t change. I never fired the rifle.

The good: I reached out to Springfield, and the guy on the phone was adamant that it was all caused by the mag and he very quickly sent me a new mag on the house. That was great service. But that’s where it ended with Springfield.

The mag i was sent didn’t fix anything. I researched more and spent money on a different mag, and a mag lip angle tool, and tried other things and nothing worked.

I took the rifle back in to the store I got it from and have purchased other rifles from, and luckily the guys in there have been great, because Springfield hasn’t been. I ran through everything with them and they were as frustrated as I was. They sent it back to Springfield and it was 2 months before it came back to the store.

The bad: It came with a note saying the gun functioned properly and they did nothing to it. I got a call from one of the guys in the gun shop saying it was finally back but Springfield did not do anything to it. He cycled the gun and the problems were still 100 percent there. He called Springfield and explained things again, and regarding the rifle not ejecting the cartridges at all, Springfield told him something along the lines of “This action is based off of old school long range precision actions and shooters who don’t want the empty cases ejected from the rifle, they like to take them out by hand.” Basically stating that’s how the gun is supposed to function.

My store said BS and sent it back immediately and I never saw it again— until today. It took another 2 months for Springfield to look at it and get it back, with another note saying it functions normal and they did nothing to it. Looking at it they clearly heavily oiled the action but that was the only thing we could find. We cycled the action with ammunition and surprise, it worked Flawlessly! BUT, only for 4-5 rounds. Then it was back to the same problems it has had.

I purchased this rifle in the middle of May, and haven’t even shot the thing one time. Springfield appears to not be trying very hard at all to even find the problems, because they are very obvious problems. I had the rifle for a week, and Springfield has had it for 16 weeks (4 months) without touching any of the issues. My store guys are going to reach out one last time and try to get springfield to right the situation.

My store guys also informed me of another issue they found on a Springfield Waypoint they had in the store, but I will wait and see what Springfield does before commenting about what the issue is. I will say that the issue is something that sounds like it belongs in the Fierce Rifle thread.

Anyways, there’s a review of my Springfield Waypoint 2020 in 6.5prc. I would caution people looking at that rifle. If you have questions ask, and if anyone thinks that some of the issues the rifle has are normal or fixable I’m all ears.

Oh yeah, in the meantime I did purchase a Tikka roughtech ember, and the thing is money!! I’m an idiot for looking elsewhere.

**edited to fix my math… I said they’ve had the gun 8 weeks, when they’ve actually had it for almost 16 weeks (4 months)
Purchased a Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 PRC earlier this year and had the EXACT same issues with brass scarring and ejection that OP described. Moreover when cycling the action I had a round get stuck unfired in the chamber.

I sent it in and they said it was a headspacing issue. Customer Service seemed solid.

The brass scarring was from the 300 WSM magazine they provide with the gun. Dremel polished the feeding edges of the mag myself which mostly eliminated that issue. However, the move is to reach out to @HawkinsPrecision for one of their Hunter DBM’s. Nick is very helpful.

To date, the rifle is extraordinarily accurate and ejects fairly consistently with shot brass when running the bolt with authority.

However, given the above and the fact that even my friend’s Ruger American cycles better, I can’t wholeheartedly recommend the Waypoint for someone in the $2k range. I would look to the new carbon fiber lines from Fierce or Bergara released this year. Looking back, I should’ve just built the dang thing myself with the AG Composite Alpine Hunter stock they use.

OP
Logan T

Logan T

WKR
Purchased a Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 PRC earlier this year and had the EXACT same issues with brass scarring and ejection that OP described. Moreover when cycling the action I had a round get stuck unfired in the chamber.

I sent it in and they said it was a headspacing issue. Customer Service seemed solid.

The brass scarring was from the 300 WSM magazine they provide with the gun. Dremel polished the feeding edges of the mag myself which mostly eliminated that issue. However, the move is to reach out to @HawkinsPrecision for one of their Hunter DBM’s. Nick is very helpful.

To date, the rifle is extraordinarily accurate and ejects fairly consistently with shot brass when running the bolt with authority.

However, given the above and the fact that even my friend’s Ruger American cycles better, I can’t wholeheartedly recommend the Waypoint for someone in the $2k range. I would look to the new carbon fiber lines from Fierce or Bergara released this year. Looking back, I should’ve just built the dang thing myself with the AG Composite Alpine Hunter stock they use.
I tried polishing one of the two mags that Springfield sent for that gun. I also purchased the Hawkins mag you mentioned as well. There was not any noticeable difference. All said I spent probably 250-300ish extra dollars on replacement mags and tools just for adjusting feedlips on magazines, in case that was the issue.

Without looking at the calendar, it has been about 8 weeks since the rifle went back to springfield for the 3rd time. It should be back anytime now based on previous waiting times. Hopefully it functions properly. I have had the scope, rings, level, bipod, etc since I purchased the rifle. As well as 3 extra mags for it, from trying to fix the brass issue unsuccessfully. Lot of money sitting around waiting. I hope it functions like a $800 rifle does, and shoots like your waypoint does!

Scooter87

FNG
I tried polishing one of the two mags that Springfield sent for that gun. I also purchased the Hawkins mag you mentioned as well. There was not any noticeable difference. All said I spent probably 250-300ish extra dollars on replacement mags and tools just for adjusting feedlips on magazines, in case that was the issue.

Without looking at the calendar, it has been about 8 weeks since the rifle went back to springfield for the 3rd time. It should be back anytime now based on previous waiting times. Hopefully it functions properly. I have had the scope, rings, level, bipod, etc since I purchased the rifle. As well as 3 extra mags for it, from trying to fix the brass issue unsuccessfully. Lot of money sitting around waiting. I hope it functions like a $800 rifle does, and shoots like your waypoint does!
I purchased a Waypoint 2020 6.5 PRC in June but have always single fed it at the range. I did not realize until this past Saturday while hunting that I am having the exact same issue. I could barely operate the bolt until I ran it hard which made it dig into the brass pretty badly from the shoulder to the case head. I called Springfield and they say that they have never heard of this issue, but I called them out on that thanks to your post. They want me to send it back to them, but I am hesitant based on your experience.

I am eager to see whether they get the issue fixed with your rifle.