Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp dc5800
Microsoft Windows XP

How enabled or install parallel port on hp dc5800 on windwos xp? In bios is nowhere to enable/disable parallel port?Windows does not recognize parallel port? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Some dc5800 desktop PC were delivered with a paralell port as an option. Most were not.

Since yours does not have a parallel port, you will need is to install a low profile paralell port adapter. They are available in PCI and PCIe x1 versions. 

There are examples on the following Google web search that I did. 

https://www.google.nl/?ion=1&espv=2#q=parallel%20port%20adapter%20low%20profile

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The motherboard actually has a Parallel Port Header, as many of the HP workstations and desktop business HP PCs do, and those are 25 pins with one key blank (aka a 13 x 2 header).  HP has sold both full height and low profile adapters for this header... the headers are all the same.  For the dc5800 that motherboard header designator is P126:

P126 Parallel Port Header.jpg

Here is a better picture:

2 x 13 Motherboard Header.jpg

Your eBay source is  HERE:

HP Parallel LPT Port Low Profile SFF LP 462537-001 462537-002 Adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Parallel-LPT-Port-Low-Profile-SFF-LP-462537-001-462537-002-Adapter-/13103...

Here is the image:

HP adapter.jpg

Not bad for a HP-made low profile adapter at under $6.00 USD including shipping.  I have used these, and they take up one space on your PCI backplane.  Nice thing is that the motherboard header and the OS drivers are already present..... pretty much plug and play.  No software install needed.

HP Recommended
@SDH
That is incorrect. The dc5800 Maintenence & Service manual  (PG. 1) published by HP, states that the parallel port is only optionally installed.
The following image is from the HP media library. The header may be present, but disabled. All active components are labeled.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

In 100% of the cases where I've seen that header on different HP workstation motherboards it has been active when I have needed to use it.  We simply plug on the optional passive parallel port adapter I posted about.  We use these mainly for attaching an electronic "dongle" that must be present on a workstation for particular expensive medical software to work.  Some medical printers are still going strong, and have only parallel port input.  So, I am experienced with these adapters in different settings on different HP workstations/Business PCs.  Look on page 12 of the dc5800 QuickSpecs here:  http://www.nts.nl/site/html/modules/pdf/PC/dc_5800.pdf  and you'll see the adapter is offered as an accessory for both form factors of that computer (the Micro Tower and the Small Form Factor).

Those passive parallel port adapters were an optional purchase, and they usually came as a kit with the full height or low profile backplane metal plate you could screw on as needed.  The kit has HP Option P/N of KD061AA, and the HP Spares P/N is 465339-001.  A screen shot from a tech document is below, and the quote there for the HP technicians is to not recommend the PCI card approach but rather to "Always recommend HP Parallel Port Adapter or HP 2nd Serial Port Adapter, or both, for HP Compaq dc5800/dc5850 models".  Take a look  HERE.

The "HP 2nd Serial Port Adapter" mentioned above also attaches to a header on many of the HP motherboards as an option.  For many of the more recent HP workstations this is the way to add on a serial port (which we still need  for some Cisco device software/firmware updating).

I have never seen any HP reference to the parallel port header being present on a motherboard but inactive.  That would not make sense from a supply chain perspective.  It is the adapter that is present or absent as the option mentioned in the QuickSpecs.  For this reason I'm hoping the original poster will spend the six dollars and get back to us that it worked well on his dc5800.  

Note that the half height eBay adapter I linked to is for a dc5800 SFF, not the Micro Tower version (which would use the full height metal plate).

1.jpg

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.