• ***************************************************************************************
    WARNING: MAKE SURE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IS CURRENT IN THE MAIN ACCOUNT SETTINGS. TODAY WE WILL LIKELY FORCE NEARLY 1,000 USERS TO RE-VERIFY THEIR EMAIL ADDRESSES, AND THAT MEANS SOME PEOPLE WHO FAIL TO KEEP A CURRENT EMAIL ADDRESS ON RECORD HERE MAY GET LOCKED OUT.

When people log into their account, we regularly check their passwords against a huge breach database. If it shows up in the database (regardless of whether you used the same password on another site or someone half way around world did), we make the password as breached and force you to change it. Unfortunately, due to a coding error, we marked a lot of accounts as having breached passwords even when they weren't in the database. Our easiest way of dealing with it while maintaining security is to force every affected account to re-verify their email address. Upon doing so, and then logging in again, the system will then check the password again and let you know if it still wants you to change it or not. If you get locked out fully, email [email protected] though note it may take a week or more for a response at this time.
    ***************************************************************************************

Exidy Venture Talk

habo

Donor 2020
Reaction score
I saw a similar thread started for Jungle King so I thought I'd do the same for Venture. It was one of my favorites as a kid. There was one right next to a Discs of Tron at an arcade in Landover Mall, MD. I could only make it through a few mazes as a kid but still kept coming back to play.

It's sort of like a bunch of mini games in one. Does anyone know of a strategy guide or have any strategies? Any owners/restorations out there you'd like to share? Any links to repro parts? Can any other Exidy boards be swapped and played in the cab?

Dave has a nice write up on the game...
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com/venture/venture.html

I had Venture on Intelevision when I was a kid. It's one of my oldest video game memories. I didn't play the arcade version until CAX 2010. I played it quite a bit at this past CAX. Fun game.

Yeah Mike, Venture is a cool game. There was an arcade in a "Zipz" ice cream store by my house, and we would all go play the games constantly.

I remember coming in one day, and the owner says "I have a new friend for you". And, there was Venture.

We played the heck out of that machine. I remember dying to find out what treasures were under all the question marks.

I never did find that out ....... ;)

Hey, it sounds like there will be a Venture in your lineup very shortly ..........

-- Bruce

Lots of fond memories of Exidy Venture... Many people just don't like it or just don't get it!!! I understand... I love it though.

Here is a link to my site which has several photos of my game.

http://www.chompingquarters.com/games/venture

Venture_2.jpg

Also, I have a Exidy Venture group over at COSP and there are some game playing tips from a couple of the pros.

I've got a couple of Venture PCBs that I'm going to get/build homes for eventually, one I'm going to keep original, the other with a little luck I'm going to convert to Teeter Torture.

I used to play the hell out of it on Colecovision, I once played it for like 4 hours and racked up about 7 million, that, Mouse Trap and especially Pepper II are my favorite Exidy games!

I've got a very nice one too..but the board has some graphic issues...I purchased another one and it has similar issues so I need to troubleshoot both boards...the simple fixes so far have not yielded a fix so its going to be a more in depth fix I assume.:mad:

I've got a very nice one too..but the board has some graphic issues...I purchased another one and it has similar issues so I need to troubleshoot both boards...the simple fixes so far have not yielded a fix so its going to be a more in depth fix I assume.:mad:

Is there a typical problem they have? I haven't tested mine yet but plan to soon.

I used to play the hell out of it on Colecovision, I once played it for like 4 hours and racked up about 7 million, that, Mouse Trap and especially Pepper II are my favorite Exidy games!

I played Venture and Pepper II on Coleco as well.. Tons. I've never played the arcade versions of either but I'd really like to someday.

Venture is awesome!! Ive had one in my collection for over 10 years.
I like the game play, music, all the different levels and the way the cab looks.
I do hate the joystick though :(

Jon

Is there a typical problem they have? I haven't tested mine yet but plan to soon.

Not really sure...but seems weird two boards exhibit the same graphics issue...I've replaced the main game roms etc with new ones..and checked the sockets...basic stuff..

Its been while since I worked on it..but I have to verify there isn't something going on with the harness too...but that is unlikely because you can plug a Pepper II board in this cab and it will work..the controls are a tad different but it will work and when I did that that board worked fine..so I think there must be something on this board with high fail rate..my hope is I can fix them both at same time...

We'll see as I haven't been able to nail it down yet..but haven't worked on it a long time either...

i picked up a beat but working Venture when one popped up locally pretty cheap. the cab's rough with some pretty serious dings and not all the side art is there, but the marquee is great and the bezel and CPO in presentable shape. i had to build a back and eventually i'll take care of the cab damage and repaint the white areas around the side art.

overall i enjoy the game; i don't mind the crappy graphics as they remind me of games on the PCjr in 4-color CGA. haven't had any issues with mine since i bought it nearly a year ago though it's been in storage since the Seattle show in June.

i'll whole-heartedly agree that the joystick blows. has anyone tried replacing it, and if so, did you find a stick that works better? i was considering installing one of my spare 3.5" Wico leafs just to see if it helps, but time being what it is i haven't gotten around to it yet.

i'll whole-heartedly agree that the joystick blows. has anyone tried replacing it, and if so, did you find a stick that works better? i was considering installing one of my spare 3.5" Wico leafs just to see if it helps, but time being what it is i haven't gotten around to it yet.

I wonder if there's a way to modify them to use regular switches instead of leafs, that way you keep the original look with better performance, if I ever get one I'll have to figure it out. Last time I was up at Funspot the Venture there wouldn't move up, so apparently they're not very reliable either.

I wonder if there's a way to modify them to use regular switches instead of leafs, that way you keep the original look with better performance, if I ever get one I'll have to figure it out. Last time I was up at Funspot the Venture there wouldn't move up, so apparently they're not very reliable either.

The spring washers really need to be roughed up (green pad / steel wool) and 100% dry... no grease! So, clean it... clean it some more... get rid of any and all grease on the shaft, spring washers and reassemble.

Leafs are a PITA on this assembly. I think some NOS wicos leafs would work better. No micro-switches IMO. And Wico IMO is a No/No... In fact, would make the game way too easy.

The joysticks for Venture was one of the things that made for difficult gameplay. Sort of a workout. The graphics weren't ground breaking for the time but I enjoyed the amount of potential levels. The music was awesome and very memorable.

I wonder if this is something Clay is considering for the Arcade SD boards?

Thanks for the links and inf

Looks like my tips have been linked to already :) .

And for those of you criticizing the original Exidy joystick...shame on you!

That's the way it was and I liked it! (channeling Dana Carvey's "Grumpy Old Man" from Saturday Night Live of years past :D )...

Glad folks enjoy my Venture cabinet each year at CAX...this year, I almost had to pull the game at the show as the edge connector had some pins break off while I was getting it ready, but I did a quick fix and soldered them directly to the board on the show floor so it would continue to work for the show itself.

I've since replaced the entire edge connector so it should be good to go for CAX 2012!

Jon

Back